Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casablanca 'style' white Tuxedo / Dinner Jacket

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nice white tux reference photo.

Mvc-010f.jpg

Edward

Bartender
LondonLuke said:
Hmm, is that a black waistcoat with a white dj? The only appropriate waist covering in that case is a black cummerbund!

I have a vague recollection that Dr Jones wore a waistcoat with his white dj in the Shanghai sequence at the beginning of Temple. That would, of course, be counter to the traditionally accepted 'rules,' as well as somewhat counter intuitive - the very purpose of the white / ivory jackets being to keep the wearer cooler. If memory serves, the requirement was that the cummerbund (if wearing a single breated jacket, of course) should be dark in colour - but not necessarily black. I've been pleased with a late 50s burgundy example I turne up for pennies on eBay:

Uploaded8August2008013.jpg

Still keeping an eye out for a straw homberg to go with this.....

Feraud

Bartender
I think you are correct on all points Edward.

You can easily pull off a straw skimmer with the above outfit if you choose. Skimmers seem more available on the bay.

Here is a nice pic of a maroon cummerbund.
pic2.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud! what an inspiring picture.

That is just 'one' great picture displaying those wonderful tuxes!! And with the boater, it just looks the bees knees (I had no idea up until seeing that, that it would look so good with the straw!! marvellous!!:eusa_clap ). And creates such a different look to the Casablanca one styled by Bogart.

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
I have a vague recollection that Dr Jones wore a waistcoat with his white dj in the Shanghai sequence at the beginning of Temple. That would, of course, be counter to the traditionally accepted 'rules,' as well as somewhat counter intuitive - the very purpose of the white / ivory jackets being to keep the wearer cooler. If memory serves, the requirement was that the cummerbund (if wearing a single breated jacket, of course) should be dark in colour - but not necessarily black. I've been pleased with a late 50s burgundy example I turne up for pennies on eBay:

I do seem to recall it being very fashionable in the 1920s/1930s to wear one dark red part of the ensemble, either cummerbund, bow tie or pocket square (but never have all matching! Only one in maroon)

Very sharp looking in those pics! Umbrella looks a bit short for you though

Edward

Bartender
LondonLuke said:
Very sharp looking in those pics! Umbrella looks a bit short for you though

Thanks! Yeah, it looks shorter in that shot than it seems in reality.... It is a comfortable height to use as a walking cane should I so choose to do (any shorter and it wouldn't be), though generally I tend to carry it rather than walk with it, if you follow me, so that's not so much an issue. Works admirably as a brolly, which is the main thing.... and at only GBP15 from eBay (Fulton brand - as apparently used by the Royals - and we do usually buy them the best of everything... :p ), not the end of the world should I lose it on the bus! ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vintage 'off white' Palm Beach Tuxedo (photos)

Just a few snaps of the labels. Getting the jacket tailored slightly, so no point in seeing it with lots of pins and tucks..etc until jacket surgery is finished ;) But the condition is essentially NOS and MINT!!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
Just a few snaps of the labels. Getting the jacket tailored slightly, so no point in seeing it with lots of pins and tucks..etc until jacket surgery is finished ;) But the condition is essentially NOS and MINT!!

BK could correct me but is that a later type of PB cloth hence the newishness???

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Even Patrick Stewart loves a White Tux!

So Edward, you've 'got the look!!' Also included here is the iconic pic of Bogie outside Rick's Cafe.

patrck2a.jpg

BogieinCasablanca.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Meanwhile...at RICKS...

1950's Palm Beach summerweight fabric (like a linen) 4x2 DB Dinner Jacket (or Tuxedo in the US). May shorten the body slightly to give it more of a 40's feel and the side/back have been tailored 'in.' Immaculate condition - really pleased with this, just need the weather and occasion to wear it now. Anyone heading Casablanca way..?

WHITETUX003.jpg

WHITETUX004.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Andre Benjamin from Outkast.
andre-benjamin-WI-0908-lg.jpg

I ran into him at the drug store last week- we had a nice short chat about newsboy caps and his new line Benjamin Bixby while waiting to pay.

n1452930112_30094893_2018.jpg

This is my cream 4x1 Palm Beach unlined dinner jacket. Creases like crazy and is a pain in the neck to press, but I really like it and don't really get to wear it enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points