1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Cast iron

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by 3fingers, Dec 2, 2017.

1. jkingrph

jkingrph Practically Family

Somewhere we acquired a small cast aluminum pan, works great. They tend to conduct heat better than cast iron and heat more evenly. My wife complains about the weight of cast iron, and if I could find a bunch of cast aluminum pans of similar size and configuration I would get them and retire the cast iron. The oxide than forms with aluminum along with polymerized oils tend to make them rather non stick also.

2. Found the remnants of a 10” pot deep in the woods. Not sure that I can bring it back to a useful state.

[​IMG]

3. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

Quite a project. It will keep you out of trouble this winter.

4. jkingrph

jkingrph Practically Family

Best of luck with that one. Let us see more pictures when the project is done!

BobHufford likes this.
  5. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

Earlier in this thread, @scotrace mentioned that tin-lined copper pots provide the best heat conductivity of any cooking vessel. I never forgot his comment. Seven months later, I found myself in a New Orleans antique shop that specializes in vintage cookware. I saw this very heavy, tin-lined copper pot and bought it on the spot. The shop owner had it re-tinned and then shipped to to my home.

Scotrace was right. I call it my “mojo pot” because it cooks Cajun red beans that are so freakin’ good the explanation can only reside in the supernatural.

3C33FD2B-8356-4FA3-A2EA-7CC99477F41E.jpeg 96816B7A-8421-479D-8342-4535EB17254E.jpeg

AF

Zombie_61, scotrace and BobHufford like this.
  6. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Made my day! I’m very glad you’re on board.

7. With BBQ season starting up I got to thinking about a grille I used to have (until someone stole it -- probably for scrap metal) off my deck back in the 1980s. It was a great grille! Ours was from the 1950s, but I think they might still make them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I'll bet that was a great one for slow cooking. For yrs I had a cast aluminum kettle grill made by KP Kitchen Patrol. It looked sort of like Sputnik or a satellite & it could really cook. After a number of yrs it developed a heat crack which would leak some air, but it could still really cook. I loved it.

A few yrs ago we got a new roof after a hail storm. I gave the job to a local company who subbed it out to a crew of roofers from "south of the border". They took 2-3 days doing the job & everyday they would eat their lunch on my covered patio. The day after the job was complete & they had cleared out I noticed my KP grill was gone along with a small Weber grill I used for camping. Really pissed me off!

9. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

Looks like it was once similar to one of my oldest...and most favored...bean pots.
    0A7C6F49-7FCC-4D9D-B725-2CB49DC18973.jpeg

AF

BobHufford and AbbaDatDeHat like this.