Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cavanagh's Felt Secrets Revealed?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The following comes out of my Cavanagh Edge research,but does not directly relate to the Cavanagh Edge. I present it for your entertainment and edification.

Did the secret to Cavanagh’s exquisite felt come out of a need to cut labor costs during the Great Depression?

Even though the depression didn’t affect hat companies as much as other industries, by 1935 there was apparently a need to trim the manufacturing costs of hats at the Hat Corporation of America. John G. Cavanagh, (a son of John J., I suspect) notes that much of the cost lies in the highly skilled laborers who finish the hats. Even with the machinery then being utilized in the industry, much of the fine work was still done by hand, particularly in the final hand-ironing and pouncing. A new process of finishing the hat bodies was developed by HCA to, ostensibly, correct several shortcomings in the old process.

First, he notes, (and this is very telling, isn’t it?) that the “costly manual operations” required highly-skilled workers who added substantially to a company’s labor costs. Second was the difficulty involved in developing good color and good finish in hats. Third, their current processes did not “insure a uniform ‘smooth’ finish” because the operations of pouncing and ironing both tended to “pull out and lay down the free ends of the surface fur fibers.” Since a smooth finish was given to 90 percent of hats then being manufactured, this was very important to any hat manufacturer. Fourth, despite ventilation systems and blowers, the fur removed from the hat during pouncing was thrown into the air, leading to a dirty factory and dirty hats, not to mention the workers who inhaled the fibers. Fifth, even after clippers were used to remove the free-standing fibers, singeing was often necessary, which could lead to damage to the finish or the hat body itself. It also imparted a loose feel to the surface. Sixth, unevenness, or mottling, in the color resulted in having to smoke and/or powder the hat to even out the color, which required special care, and could also create dirty working conditions. Seventh, when a finishing substance of an oil-base was used to help protect the hat from moisture, it was only rubbed into the surface of the hat, and not deep into the felt. Finally, the final hand-ironing meant that unequal pressure was applied to the hat, again affecting the uniformity of the finish.

The new process, developed to use existing equipment, but with some modifications, meant that a lot of capital did not have to be spent on the implementation of the process. Additionally, the older machine processes, which “improved” upon hand finishing, saved a company about 33 percent, whereas the new machine process would save the company approximately 50 percent over the cost of hand-finishing, most of this in labor costs. The new process did away with the idea of ironing and pouncing altogether. Instead of ironing, the rough hat body was placed in a machine block with matching male and female dies. The female die contained a steam chamber allowing for regulation of the temperature. The two dies were pressed together, with between 50 and 200 pounds of pressure being applied to the hat body, at a temperature of 220°F. The pressure applied could be adjusted for the type of body that was needed. A lightweight body received 50 pounds, a medium weight received 100 to 150 pounds, and an “English” or heavy weight received 200 pounds. The combination of the heat and pressure helped continue the felting process beyond what was normally done, while providing the initial block for the hat.

The brim was then rounded, or trimmed to size, and the hat was put on a block and lathe so that a finishing substance could be applied to the hat. The next step in the process would normally be the pouncing, or sanding down, of the felt. Cavanagh used the same pouncing machine, but instead of a belt of sandpaper, a strip of cloth was used. This step, which he called “jiggering,” involved rubbing the cloth at 1600 to 3000 time per minute over the hat, and produced friction and heat on the felt, which did several things: it opened the pores of the felt, allowing the finishing substance to work its way deeper into the body to provide superior water-repellency and uniformity of color, and also worked the ends of the loose surface fibers back down into the hat, producing a much finer smooth finish that with pouncing. The big difference is that felt was not removed from the body during this process, as would be with pouncing. One last benefit of the jiggering is that it raised a fine nap on the surface of the felt, in which the nap stood at right angles to the felt, creating a very soft surface to the touch and a uniformity of color, or a “peach sheen,” as Cavanagh called it. If a smoother finish was required, the nap could be clipped off. Cavanagh claimed that this process reduced the mottling and obviated the need for smoking and singeing the hat.
All of these steps in the new process removed the need for highly skilled workers, which also meant, highly paid workers. Most of the manual labor could now be done by lower skilled workers, with the exception of the final trimmings applied to hats.

To what extent HCA implemented this process, I do not yet know, but it would explain why the higher-end hat companies like Cavanagh and Knox seemed to have superior felt. This makes sense, judging from what this new process tells us. Just the fact that the felt was heated and compressed to such a degree, and then its intergrity is not compromised by removing anything by pouncing, leads me to believe that they may have produced a superior product. It may also explain why modern hats are simply not up to snuff, since much of the equipment from Norwalk is long gone. This is all highly speculative, of course!

Did this process really result in lower labor costs, perhaps allowing the high-end hatters to last throughout the Great Depression? What was the union response to this new process?

Sorry to tease you with these questions, but I don’t have answers at the moment, merely speculations. Perhaps, as my research continues, I’ll be able to update this at a later date.

Any thoughts, additions, opinions, or revisions?

Brad

Fedora

Vendor
I do not yet know, but it would explain why the higher-end hat companies like Cavanagh and Knox seemed to have superior felt.

But Brad, this is just the finishing part of hatmaking. Felt is much more than just the finishing techniques. The Cavanaghs I own and worked on had great felt, regardless of the finish. :)

What they did was to get rid of the singeing and smoke bath, both which will get some of the mottle out put in by pouncing. And of course the leuring powder.

What the above info says to me was in order to save money, the hands on pouncing and ironing, and smoke bath, that was a skilled finishing process in making a high end hat was done away with, and they found another way to make a presentable hat. It does not say the new labor saving ways produced a superior finish, as I doubt that it did. The fuzz finish, or peach finish is nothing more than a finish that has not been lathed off by the pouncing. So, it seems they just got rid of the pounce department.lol Fedora

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Steve, I realized too late I should have said "Felt" instead of felting. As far as I know, their felting process was no different from anyone else's.

(Edit: Not too late, I found out. I have changed the title.)

But I'm thinking perhaps the heated compression of the felt, instead of ironing, made for a better felt.

I agree with you about their finishing, though. They were just trying to save money.:mad:

Brad

Fedora

Vendor
But I'm thinking perhaps the heated compression of the felt, instead of ironing, made for a better felt.

I dunno, but what the compression does do is to compress the outer unpounced surface so that it appears to be pounced, when in fact, it was not. Then the non invasive friction from the cloth raised a minimal amount of nap to create a finish that looked like a pounce job. What I have found in making hats is that this looks good until the hat gets saturated with water. Then, the unpounced fur raises up on its hackles and becomes very obvious that the hat was not lathed down, or pounced. lol Even a pounced hat will show this, but I am guessing the former would be worse looking. What we must realize, is any iron job, regardless of how is was done is null and void once the hat becomes saturated with water. Being an old cabinet maker, I can attest the same thing happens to a piece of raw, freshly sanded wood. But with wood, even the humidity will raise the grain of an unsealed piece of wood. Before I sent my cabinets to the finishing shop, if they sat overnight before we could take then out there, we would have to sand the face plates again, due to the grain raising up from the humidity. There are many similiarities between wood and felt. And that is one reason I caught on to hatmaking as fast as I did. Many of the same principles apply.

To me, what Cavanagh did was just a means of getting rid of the high cost of labor. That was the original intent, I believe. I doubt the finish was superior to the traditional pounced finish. But, it was cheaper to produce. And, it is obvious how this would get rid of the mottle issue that occurs when felt is pounced, as that has always been an issue, as far as I can tell. The traditional smoke bath would be frowned upon in todays world, at least here in the USA. We all have a tendency to run from anything with a smokey smell.lol Of course, back then, everyone smelled of some sort of smoke, whether it was tobacco, coal, or wood smoke. It was the norm.

Regardless, I have several vintage Cavanaghs, and the felt is certainly very, very good. The finish looks just like my other finishes on the other vintage hats. I would bet you would see a difference though if the hat was saturated and the fur that normally would have been removed raises it ugly head to say hi.

It was also interesting to note that even the old felting techniques did not fully felt the bodies, as they stated the press actually made the felt continue to felt. It is a no brainer not to assume that even after the body came off of the ironing press, it was still not fully felted. The metal block stopped any further shrinkage(felting) once the body had shrunk as far as the block would let it shrink. I would wager that if you took this body, after being pressed and compressed, and saturated it, placed it in a heated room, it would shrink even more. The felting process was never totally accomplished in the manufacture of a hat, then, or now. Those hats back then would still felt and shrink if they got wet and heat was around. And, as I have said, the reason the vintage hats of today do not shrink like new felt, is nothng more than the felt having died over the years. Fedora

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Excellent start, Brad.

I'm not surprised to hear about the heat and pressure.
Comparing Cavanagh felt to other vintage felt, it does appear to be
incredibly dense, as one might expect from such a process.
But don't you imply that the equipment was used by all Hatco
felts, not just Cavanagh?

I suspect that the secret of Cavanagh felt also has to do with
the quality of the fibers used, the dyes and dyeing processes,
the mixtures of moisture repellant and shellac, etc. The fibers
seem shorter and finer than those on some other hats.

Have you considered placing an ad in newspapers local to Norwalk?
Some of the hatters might still be around and available for interview.

BTW, should you be planning to use this for publication,
you might note with a "sic" that Cavanagh, in one of your
quotes, uses "insure" when he means "ensure".

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Responses to Your Questions and Comments:

Fedora said:
I would bet you would see a difference though if the hat was saturated and the fur that normally would have been removed raises it ugly head to say hi.

Steve, in the interest of science, I promise to get my vintage Cavanagh soaking wet this winter and report what happens!lol It needs a good naptha bath and reblock anyway before I wear it. (And no, I don't plan on dredging up the vintage felt vs. modern felt thread arguments again.);)

feltfan said:
But don't you imply that the equipment was used by all Hatco
felts, not just Cavanagh?

Feltfan, I'm certainly implying it, as John Garvan Cavanagh was representing Hat Corp. which by this time owned Crofut & Knapp, and Cavanagh-Dobbs. Come to think of it, I don't think Knox was a part of them at that time, but I don't remember for sure. I just know that there's a general consensus among many of us Loungers that Cavanagh felt is some of the highest quality stuff, which you would expect from a high end hatter. Since this is a Hat Corp.-owned process, I don't see why they wouldn't use it among all their brands. After all, the Depression was harder on the higher end hatters than the middle and lower tiers, which is the reason for the consolidations in the industry, and the reason they wanted to reduce costs while still trying to offer a superior product. The "Bottom Line" is the bottom line! I just feel sorry for any of the skilled finishers it might have put out of work during some mighty lean years.

feltfan said:
Have you considered placing an ad in newspapers local to Norwalk?
Some of the hatters might still be around and available for interview.

BTW, should you be planning to use this for publication,
you might note with a "sic" that Cavanagh, in one of your
quotes, uses "insure" when he means "ensure".

I'm working with the Norwalk Museum on a couple of projects. I'll have to ask them if there is anybody still around. Now, I just need to get hold of a research grant to fly out there!:)

I don't know where I might use this information. It doesn't quite fit into the scope of the Cavanagh Edge article, but I'd love to do a larger piece about Cavanagh in general, or even better, the hatting history of Norwalk. Debbie Henderson's book covers the Danbury factories pretty well, but only touches on the Norwalk hatters.

mthatter said:
You seem to be breaking down the Manufacturing (finish) process into 3 time periods. The handfinishing period followed by the older machine processes and lastly the newer machine process. Do you have dates or approximations of when each began or ended? You say that the new process involving the heated presses,stampers, or plating starting in 1935. With this the advent of ragging or "jiggering" and the use of powders and the lack of pouncing and ironing. I am having a hard time believing this production method started in this time frame and also that pouncing was foregone altogether or was Cavanagh the sole manufacturer doing it this way.

Well, not exactly a time frame, per se; I'm just reiterating the three processes that Cavanagh delineates in order to differentiate the "new process."

I know mechanization in felting and blocking started in the last half of the nineteenth century, which happens to coincide with the founding years of the many well-known hat companies that lasted (some in name only) into the latter half of the twentieth century. The companies that took advantage of this mechanization were the ones that prospered.

Cavanagh says that the machine finish was "the one now in most general use," in 1935. And as you know, handfinishing has never gone away, and has been a way for the entreprenuer to get into the business for well over two hundred years!

I haven't yet discovered if this new process was ever put into use, and if so, how widespread it became. I, too, can't imagine finishing a hat without pouncing. I'm hoping I'll dig up something at Norwalk about this. I've only been focusing on the innovations at Cavanagh; there's no telling what processes were concocted by the other manufacturers.

mthatter said:
I also find references in a 1951 publication for a Hoffman Pressing Machine, Farr Sueding Machine(jigger),Bruder Brohm Sueding Machine, Cuming Hydraulic Stamper, Cuming Crown Plug Presses, Cipriano Crown Plug Presses. Am still not sure if these were being produced in the 1930's.

No idea how early they were produced, but they sound like interesting pieces of equipment! I wonder how many of these old machines survived the cleansing of the factories over the last thirty, forty years?

mthatter said:
Do you have an idea when the first powders were used? I cannot locate any suppliers of them in the old catalogs. It would be nice to date their first applications.

Hmm, that's interesting, because I would guess powders go back to the nineteenth century, and maybe even earlier. I know the 1919 Scientific Hat-Finishing book talks about using them.

mthatter said:
Keep digging up this valuable information.

Will do, sir!

Thanks all, for your input. I love getting into the nitty-gritty history of hats, and it always makes for fun discussions.

Brad

Razzman

One Too Many
Wow, great information.:eusa_clap Very interesting and informative. Thanks Brad for sharing. You mentioned Debbie Hendersons book??? Could you or anyone else recommend and list a few books about the history of hat manufacturing? That would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

Fedora

Vendor
The crown and brim jiggers were common equipment in the hat factories. Their function is to rub the powders into the crown or brim of the hat after ragging it.

Is this the same thing as leuring? (don't know if I spelled that correctly) I read where this process used the colored powders, followed by the oiling, and was used on less quality felt to make it look more expensive. (Scientific Hatmaking Book)

Steve, some hatmakers will jigger the hat after singeing or just after pouncing with no powder applied, have you tried this just to see the effect?

I have not. I have heard of the ragging term many times when talking to western hatters, but really never knew exactly what the purpose was. Is this supposed to help get rid of the mottling that occurs during pouncing? I am assuming that a particular type of cloth was used on the lathe instead of pouncing paper. Someone even told me once they used terry cloth, but I can't recall exactly. I am curious about the ragging technique, as I have seen it mentioned in hatmaking sometimes, and at other times they seem to leave it out. I am curioius.

I know of a hatter that gets rid of the mottling by hot oiling the hat superficially, and he swears by it. I tried it but do not use it anymore. I do like the extra water repellancy that it does offer though. And it can certainly make a lack of luster felt look good.

During this time period most large manufacturers also had their own back shop or body plant-perhaps they did a better job pouncing the raw bodies as to minimize the front shop need to do it.

I would think this may be the case. I know the bodies from Portugal can be had pre-pounced, and they do a fine job at the factory. Heck, you can use the body as received without further pouncing if you want. If the back shop was doing the pouncing at Cavanagh, I can see how they could get by without doing it in the front shop and just doi the ragging, or whaterver the proper term is. All of my Cavanaghs sure look to be pounced, and pounced very well I might add. Interesting stuff, and something I am intensely interested in. Keep it coming!!! Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner