Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CBS Sunday morning story on hats

Thanks for posting that, RJJ. It's good to see them get the story pretty much right. They got Steinberg to debunk one prevalent myth, and the younger fellow from JJ in NYC closes with how, despite the recent "resurgence" in hat wearing, he doesn't expect to see proper hats atop the heads of a substantial portion of the adult male population anytime soon.

We everyday hat-wearers may not remain the "one percenters," but I doubt we'll live to see our ranks swell into even the low double digits. I'd rather be wrong about that, but ...

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Good story. As the salesman astutely noted, this will reamin a niche market. But I have hopes. If the stingy-brim fedora becomes identified as cool, perhaps a wave effect and eventually a demand for better quality products. We'll see. I recall when I started...long ago...wool felt...then seeing a difference...it would take time but might happen again on a larger scale.

I also liked the repeated teasing background music - Randy Newman's "You Can Keep Your Hat On" - wonder how many watching YouTube noticed that.

- Bill

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
I really enjoyed that segment. I've sent it to a few hat-loving friends that I'm trying to get to join the Lounge. I too love Joe Cocker's "You Can Leave Your Hat On" playing in the background. My one complaint is the clerk at J.J. with his cap cocked sideways. Just wear the hat the way it was designed to face! Geez! I wouldn't take hat advice from someone doing that.

Slouch-Hat...

NonEntity

Suspended
Though I was tempted to change over to NBC for the Tim Russert Meet the Press tribute, I stuck with CBS Sunday Morning and enjoyed the hat segment. For a short, major network piece, I must say they pretty much got it right.

As for the salesguy at JJ's, I thought he was very informative and made a good impression. The 8-panel newsboy he had on can be worn in a number of ways. The way he had his with the bill cocked to one side is nothing new and was really quite typical back in the 30s and 40s; just look at some old films and the Our Gang/Little Rascals series.

Note that it was JFK who was perhaps most unconventional in the way he "wore" his hats: If they are designed for anything, they are for the head, yet he almost always carried his in hand or lay it in his lap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy