Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

China Patterns

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
Thanks - I'm not too keen on 50's style, especially the more atomicy stuff. I think I might start looking at some deco items though. I've just bought a friend a book on teacup patterns so perhaps I can take a sneaky peek before I give t to her....

On that note Smutterella this is my good set of dishes I bought about 10 years ago at an estate sale and slowely added on the collection. lol Just teasing I know this stuff is all personal taste I am sure someone will post a deco set soon and i will have dish envy.

Vernontickledpink.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
OK, I'm going to open a can of worms here but that isn't Art Deco. That's Arts & Crafts.

Art Deco:
decopic4.jpg

art-deco-pc-mod.jpg

Think soaring angles and drama.

Arts & Crafts (often cross-polinates with Art Nouveau:
Think nature, vines, stylized flowers.

31921-31.jpg

China patterns:
DSCF2234.jpg

Is Art Deco.
The pattern linked above is Arts & Crafts.

The terms are very commonly misused.

Smuterella

One Too Many
^ thank you

I have decided this is my pattern. Just won an entire tea set - 6 places, large plate, teapot, jug and sugar bowl

47310.jpg

So, a bit of a head start, used my bonus from work, but I'm going to start collecting the dinner service too.

TackCollector

Familiar Face
Main set of fine china, Castleton Jubilee, that I paid through the nose for. It's hand painted.
castleton_usa_jubilee_cup_and_saucer_set_footed_P0000008886S0019T2.jpg

castleton_usa_jubilee_dinner_plate_P0000008886S0001T2.jpg

castleton_usa_jubilee_fruit_dessert_sauce_bowl_P0000008886S0008T2.jpg

I have a few pieces of Mason's Vista in pink
mason_s_vista_pink_round_covered_vegetable_bowl_P0000054387S0140T2.jpg
mason_s_vista_pink_oval_serving_platter_gadroon_edge_13_P0000054387S0103T2.jpg
mason_s_vista_pink_22_oz_fenton_jug_P0000054387S0136T2.jpg

Small set of Castleton Manor, rescued from an estate sale. It's decal with a bit of hand painting.
1193739.jpg

And my grandmother's John Brothers Coaching Scenes, blue, which were her everyday dishes.
johnson_brothers_coaching_scenes_blue_dinner_plate_P0000045485S0051T2.jpg

(pics are borrowed)

Last edited:

shortbow

Practically Family
Scot, I both agree and demure. Personally, I make a distinction from the very early Deco and the later stuff when the streamlining thing etc came in. The Nouveau/A&C cross pollination is often obvious, but in some of the early AD, there is a definite influence of Nouveau, to my eye at least. On your particular example though, I would agree and call that Arts and Crafts. But at the same time discern a bit of the evolutionary seeds that became Deco. There is often some gray area in it all, to my eye anyway.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Foofoo's pattern is really gorgeous, but I'd call it more Art Nouveau or Arts and Crafts than Deco. Maybe more between 1900 and 1918. Like all eras, they didn't know that they were "Art Deco" instead of this or that other movement. All labels are put on after the fact, and every new design is an amalgam of every visual idea that artist ever saw. That's what makes labelling so tricky. Foofoo's is definitely a very "modern" design, even after all these years. There's also a definite Japanes influence, which (I think) also places it a little earlier than Deco. But it still belongs in the conversation.

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You know, after looking at Foofoo's pattern very closely, I'd say it's definitely post 1920. The motif of the 18th century people sitting around in silhouette, and especially that black and red color combination is very eary 20's. I'd have to take back my previous comment and put them squarely in the Deco slot. UNLESS!!!! UNLESS!!! you want to call Deco only those geometric industrial patterns that the Art Deco expo in 1923 focused on.
It's an argument that could go on forever! That's the problem with labels!

Foofoogal

Banned
I say tomato tomatoe or however that went.

On my description it states a person well versed in English China helped me on this.
I know for a fact this person knows the year.

Scotrace, take a look at the Mission chair in the other thread on thrift and yard sale finds and see if you think Arts and Crafts on this please.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I just got these on the 'Bay. I don't need them, I have basically no use for them, I don't know what the heck I'll do with them but I LOVE them. Do I have a problem?
This set is labeled KEQAUOS Aglo-Rose. (I think the first letters are really in Greek). Anyway, they just scream late 30's to me.

Latestdishes002.jpg

There were 6 dinner plates and 5 butter plates. Something about those squarish 30's plates makes me crazy. I just think they're so DECO.

There was also a very nice platter.

Latestdishes003.jpg

There are a lot of this pattern about, but not many actual plates. Lots of bowls and pitchers, etc. It's another Universal Cambridge design. This just personifies a 30's kitchen to me.
I got 6 of these desert plates. Right between the size of the above dinner and butter plates.

Latestdishes001.jpg

And a nice bowl. The plastic fruit were a freeby the seller tossed in!

Latestdishes004.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24