Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

China Patterns

ITG

Call Me a Cab
In the process of planning a wedding, one has to register. Well, Manuel and I chose a pattern for the china. This got me to thinking 2 questions:
1) Does anyone hear have vintage China, and if so, what pattern
2) Do any of you know of any current patterns that were also around in the 1940s?

(Our chosen pattern is Lenox Opal Innocence. I don't know if it was around back in the 40s but it would thrill me if it were.)

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
My wife and I inherited a set of Rosenthal pattern 5554. I'm not sure what it's called. It's a pink floral pattern with rose and gold trim.

For everyday use, we have 30s/40s El Patio that we've acquired oved the years on eBay. El Patio comes in many colors (similar to Fiestaware), is in plentiful supply and is relatively cheap.

Through eBay, we've also bought a lot of vintage pyrex and corningware which is also available in a lot of different colors.

shindeco

A-List Customer
I have a nearly complete set of the Balmoral pattern from Alfred Meakin (started production in 1937; don't know when it was discontinued). Got most of it off E-bay.

dinnerware.jpg

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I love Blue Willow. My grandmother had that. Old Country Roses is another favorite of mine that she had, but I'm not sure how long that one has been around.
2152710.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Old Country Roses...

Holly, my grandmother had that too. I have got it in my house now. Nice to have things in common Holly! and isn't it lovely that you can have things that have been passed down through the family.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Well, Paddy, it sounds like that pattern has been around a loooong time since both of our grandmas hat that same pattern. My dad's brother has her set in his house now. I'm not sure who got the blue willow.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
ITG said:
In the process of planning a wedding, one has to register. Well, Manuel and I chose a pattern for the china. This got me to thinking 2 questions:
1) Does anyone hear have vintage China, and if so, what pattern
2) Do any of you know of any current patterns that were also around in the 1940s?

(Our chosen pattern is Lenox Opal Innocence. I don't know if it was around back in the 40s but it would thrill me if it were.)

Unfortunatly....http://www.lenox.com/pattern/index.cfm?fuseaction=patDetail&wid=1&patid=1099

But its a classic pattern, and classic never has a timeline!

Its beautiful!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When you register, the information on the china pattern, like year it became available, would be either on-screen or in the book they use in seeing what's available in the particular pattern you select. And as other posts point out - that information is also readily available on the internet with a little digging - the joys of modern technology!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Fiestaware

I don't know about formal diningware out there, but for everyday dishes nothing beats Fiestaware and you can easily register for the modern items (which are based on the vintage ones from 1937) at Macys.com.

And in such jaunty colors. And they are practically indestrucable!

Rosie

One Too Many
BellyTank said:

Hey, I have many pieces of this in my house. I have this closet which I NEVER use and a lot of my parent's old things are in there. I will shamefully admit that I use two of the smaller plates as my cat and dog's dishes.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Dottie said:
I don't know about formal diningware out there, but for everyday dishes nothing beats Fiestaware and you can easily register for the modern items (which are based on the vintage ones from 1937) at Macys.com.

And in such jaunty colors. And they are practically indestrucable!

If you buy it at Macy's, it's on sale about every three or four weeks. If you see the 4 piece place serving is listed at $40 - wait a couple weeks and it'll be $24.99. Once or twice a year, it goes for $19.99. You can also buy direct from the factory and get seom great deals. My partner gets a look of dread when the UPS truck pulls up and I go "Oh goody - more Fiestaware!"

As you say, practically indestructible, reasonably priced, and you can buy it open stock (individual pieces) almost anywhere if you should happen to break a piece, and there are LOADS of bargains on Ebay. And there are lots of other "go-alongs" like linens, dish towels, clocks, spice racks, timers that look like the pitchers, napkin holders, paper napkins, etc. This is also the 60 anniversary, so they've got some special items available noting that.

And what could say "Golden Era" better than a big Fiesta plateful of pot roast, veggies & gravy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy