Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chippewa Engineer boots size help!

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
By the way, anyone knows, is the difference between these two models merely cosmetic or am I missing something?
http://www.chippewaboots.com/footwear/safety/road/1901M57
http://www.chippewaboots.com/footwear/safety/road/27899

Sorry to revive this old topic but i wanted to answer that question as i had both in'my hand in a shop and the difference i noticed didn't seem to be that .
What i noticed was that the 1901m57 seemed to have a thicker vibram outsole ,as few mm ( maybe 2 mm ) , that is a V bar outsole unlike the 27863 outsole that is the old Chippewa Vibram engineer boots outsole used for a few decades on this model and Baden Troopers / Hi-Shine models , like since the 80's or 90's at least ,maybe more .
Apart from that , the leather used for the Vamp and shaft seems to be exactly the same oil Tan "Odessa" leather and everything else ,except it seems some 27863 production all used some Darker Zamac Buckles with Chippewa written on them, instead of the Nickel buckles ( although it seems Chippewa has both types of buckles on the boots shipped from their webshop /factory these last years but i think the nickel buckles ones were left from some previous batches ) .

Last edited:

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
I notice that Chilpewa is only making E width and bigger. Can anyone comment on this? Were their D super narrow?
I am typically a D. They have a great sale going on o'd love to take advantage of.

That is also something i was wondering about but i found the answer recently !
The regular production models like 27863 11" engineer boots were available in B ( not available anymore ) D , E and EE width , as well as Baden Tropper 27908 / 27909 , Strapless 71419 and High Shine 71418 if i remember well ( except B width ) ; while the bal-laced 27950 were only available in D and EE but i discovered recently that all the " Original " serie Engineer boots released in 2013 or 2014 , based on the 2014 catalog ,was made only in E width ( all their engineer boots models in this serie named with 1901 in their reference name and also the 1937 17" and 1940 11" models ) ; including the 7" " engineer " boots as well .
It is a surprising decision ,as D is the regular width, so i don't understand why they released all the models in that collection only in E width ,which is not supposed to be for a majority of people !
I was searching for some 1901m04 in D before discovering that but i wonder if those E width are really all regular E width ?

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is also something i was wondering about but i found the answer recently !
The regular production models like 27863 11" engineer boots were available in B ( not available anymore ) D , E and EE width , as well as Baden Tropper 27908 / 27909 , Strapless 71419 and High Shine 71418 if i remember well ( except B width ) ; while the bal-laced 27950 were only available in D and EE but i discovered recently that all the " Original " serie Engineer boots released in 2013 or 2014 , based on the 2014 catalog ,was made only in E width ( all their engineer boots models in this serie named with 1901 in their reference name and also the 1937 17" and 1940 11" models ) ; including the 7" " engineer " boots as well .
It is a surprising decision ,as D is the regular width, so i don't understand why they released all the models in that collection only in E width ,which is not supposed to be for a majority of people !
I was searching for some 1901m04 in D before discovering that but i wonder if those E width are really all regular E width ?
It may have something to do with the fact that the Cordovan model model 91068 as it was known was originally made for the Japanese market where E width is the majority.
https://www.abc-mart.net/shop/g/g4495880001019/
There were two models 99953 and 91068 which were originally made for the Japanese market before they started making the 1901s.

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
Yes maybe that's the reason although if this "Original " serie /collection was not made only for Japan, it's surprising they did not make some in D width .

Can someone tell me which model is this Brown Chippewa 11" engineer boots with steel toe and BRASS buckles ?

I thought it was the 1901m04 but i am not sure about it !

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
I've been trying on Chip Engineers for the last few weeks, Monitor. That included the 27899 and the Originals in Black Whirlwind.

FYI, the Black Whirlwind Horween is pretty thin to the touch. I ordered the non steel version and decided even if I went steel toe, I wouldn't feel all that protected on the bike with them. Beautiful as they were, I returned them. To me, they are more fashion boot than riding boot. YMMV.

The 27899 Black Odessas are significantly thicker and more sturdy. I ended up ordering the steel toe version of those. .

The person who made the topic , seems to say the Black whirlwind Horween boots ( i suppose he speaks about the the 1901m48 ) have a thinner leather than the 27899 ( which have the same thickness leather as the 27863 i believe) , are they the only 1901 serie boots that have a thinner leather ?

Cause from what i saw the 1901m57 have the same leather thickness as the 27863 but i wonder about the other engineer boots in this serie !
It is surprising they used a thinner leather for these ,unless it was only this particular pair that had a thinner leather .

I was also wondering about the sole thickness difference between 27863 and 1901m57 ( which have a thicker outsole ) but maybe the Vibram V bar cork outsole is not as sturdy as the regular Chippewa vibram outsole on the 27863 and wears out faster .

Vintagestyle

One of the Regulars
After asking some shops which used to sell some in Europe ,it seems some of the 1901 serie engineer boots ,have been made in D width ( including the 4363 model ) but most are not available anymore ,or in very few sizes ( mostly small or very big ones ) that have not been sold yet .

LutherJAS

New in Town
After asking some shops which used to sell some in Europe ,it seems some of the 1901 serie engineer boots ,have been made in D width ( including the 4363 model ) but most are not available anymore ,or in very few sizes ( mostly small or very big ones ) that have not been sold yet .
yeah.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
As there has been an odd resurrection to this thread I’ll add that Schott, who formerly sold Chippewa engineers on their website are now selling ”Schott engineers” which look suspiciously similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn