Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chippewa Engineer boots size help!

I need a pair of decent engineer boots but these being extremely scarce in Europe, I have no choice but to order a pair online. I have decided to go with Chippewa's classical black Steel Toe boots but from my understanding, boots with steel toe might fit differently than regular shoes and having absolutely no way to try them on, I was hoping if anyone could help me out with the size of these boots.

My shoe size is EU 44-45, which would be US 10.5 or 11, if I am not mistaken? Before I pull the trigger, I really would like to be sure of the size so could anyone please tell me how do these boots fit? Are they true to size, or..? Even better, if anyone owns a pair in 10 or 10.5, could you please measure the sole length and width so that I could then compare the numbers to my Sendra's?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers! :)

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
I bought a minimally-used pair of Chippewa engineer steel toe boots on ebay recently and found it a size or so too large for me. Ended up selling it. Hope this helps.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I also believe they run a size large. I wear a 7.5 in the Chips (I hace the exact pair you're going for; they're awesome) and I believe I would be an 8 in Vans. Don't wear those anymore, LOL.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chippewa engineer comes in different width depending on the model. Lengthwise, they are quite true to size. The main fitting issue with steel toe boots is the width. You might want to go wider, i.e. if you normally wear E, you might want to get the EE.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I also believe they run a size large. I wear a 7.5 in the Chips (I hace the exact pair you're going for; they're awesome) and I believe I would be an 8 in Vans. Don't wear those anymore, LOL.

Pssshhh I worked for Vans for five years. I'll wear them for life.

IXL

One Too Many
All of my bicycling shoes (Sidi) have been EU44-45, and my 'Mer'kin size is 11. Having narrow size C feet, I just get used to most footwear being too wide in the ubiquitous D width. My Chippewa Engineers boots are not the steel toe version and are a D width in a size 11. They fit very well for length and work pretty groovy with a short boot-insert to remove a bit of the side-to-side excess room.

For the money, these are a great boot and work well on the bike. Although the left boot has developed a telltale "gear shift lever crease," which just adds a little character, they are wearing very well.

Thank you for the replies, everyone! I really appreciate it.

Huh, I had no idea you get to choose the width! Another cool thing that, to the best of my knowledge, does not exist with European shoe companies. That is fantastic, actually, as I have always had trouble with my all shoes being too narrow. So having wide feet, I am guessing I would need an EE in Chippewa steel toe boots, then?

IXL, European Sidi sizing is also all over the place, according to them, I wear 44 to 46, depending on the model. :)

Okay, I am leaning toward 10.5 right now, if you guys say they run either a size too large or true to size. Larger boots aren't that much of a problem for me, I can always throw in an insole or something... Though I would still be very grateful if someone who owns a size 10.5 or 11 could measure the sole for me. :)

By the way, anyone knows, is the difference between these two models merely cosmetic or am I missing something?
http://www.chippewaboots.com/footwear/safety/road/1901M57
http://www.chippewaboots.com/footwear/safety/road/27899

Last edited:
27863 do not have a steel cap, right? I just realized there are engineer boots in both Original and Road sections of the website... Okay, so there is Black Odessa and Black Whirlwind leather. I wonder what the difference is.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
27863 do have a steel cap. I'd think the difference in leather might be some sort of protection against elements or something? Like Wesco's fire resistant "Black Fire" leather.

Blackadder

27863 do not have a steel cap, right? I just realized there are engineer boots in both Original and Road sections of the website... Okay, so there is Black Odessa and Black Whirlwind leather. I wonder what the difference is.
The steel toe black Whirlwind 1901M03 does not seem to go up to EE. Whirlwind looks to be shinnier and the Odessa seems to be oiled leather. I own both the 99953 and the 1901M49. The 99953 is made for Japan and the leather is a polished bookbinder. The 1901M49 is oiled leather.

Hm, another pair that was too large. Thanks for the link, Damo. Okay, I'll stick with my shoe size, then, as I am not too sure whether I am 44 or 45 EU so... And now I only have to find a website that actually holds either 27899 and is willing to ship internationally, as I cannot find a single pair on eBay. You're right about Whirlwind not going up to EE, Blackadder!

Blackadder

Hm, another pair that was too large. Thanks for the link, Damo. Okay, I'll stick with my shoe size, then, as I am not too sure whether I am 44 or 45 EU so... And now I only have to find a website that actually holds either 27899 and is willing to ship internationally, as I cannot find a single pair on eBay. You're right about Whirlwind not going up to EE, Blackadder!
Have you tried Amazon? Don't know if they have your size but here..
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=chippewa 27899&sprefix=chippewa+27899,aps

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters