Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chippewa Engineer boots size help!

Of course. Whirlwind version. Black Odessa matte leather just wouldn't sit well with the shininess of the Kensington now, would it.

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
I've been trying on Chip Engineers for the last few weeks, Monitor. That included the 27899 and the Originals in Black Whirlwind.

FYI, the Black Whirlwind Horween is pretty thin to the touch. I ordered the non steel version and decided even if I went steel toe, I wouldn't feel all that protected on the bike with them. Beautiful as they were, I returned them. To me, they are more fashion boot than riding boot. YMMV.

The 27899 Black Odessas are significantly thicker and more sturdy. I ended up ordering the steel toe version of those. Wouldn't you know it though, Amazon sent me a defective pair.

I have reordered them.

As far as sizing, I think the Originals will only come in an E (wide size.) The 27899 Odessas come as wide as EE.

I wear my Nike running shoes a bit loose at 10.5 D because feet tend to swell when running. In Chip Engineers, I ended up going with a 9.5 EE. (Both of the Chip Engineers -- Original and 27899s -- were pretty dang narrow and I have a wide foot.

You may not wear your running shoes as loose as I, but I'd say size down at least a .5 from your running shoe and get an E or EE depending on your foot width.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I notice that Chilpewa is only making E width and bigger. Can anyone comment on this? Were their D super narrow?
I am typically a D. They have a great sale going on o'd love to take advantage of.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I don't know how I missed this thread. I have these boots and like them very much. IMO don't get the steel toe, they never seem to look good later on as the boot breaks in. All the leather settles nicely and the steel toe sticks up like a big lump. In my case I ride and don't like a steel toe boot under the shifter. I got a half size smaller and it felt tight at first but after the break in it was perfect. This boot might feel loose in the heel area when new, don't worry about it, it will tighten up more snugly as you wear them and the leather softens up. Great MC boot IMO...and not big and jerky looking like some others out there........

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Well, there is a Schott NYC store near by that stocks the boots. I went and tried them on. They run the same size as my RW Iron Rangers which is about a size and a 1/2 down from my athletic shoe size. I wore regular weight socks and they fitt well with limited heel slip. They are tight with thick winter socks. I am hoping they will stretch just a bit. That said i'd rather have them fit with reg socks and tight with thick socks, than fit with thick socks and be sloppy with regular weights. Online thru Chippewa were $150 cheaper than on the shelf at Schott. I told them that I prefer to support brick n mortar, and asked if they could move on the price. They came down $100 and charged no tax (pretty sure ours is the highest in the nation). Therefore I paid a $50 penalty for instant gratification. Worth it. 1st pair of engineer boots. Hope this experiment works.....unless it means next year i decide i "need" a pair of Role Club.

I have three pairs if USA made Chip's. 2/3 are true to size, one is a tad small, and I have to wear light socks with them.
A rough out ankle boot. All are excellent boots for the money I think.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Definitely a good price point to decide if i even like the style. Chippewa has on sale for $175 with free shipping. So far pretty comfy tho i'm sitting around playing Scrabble.
Tried posting a photo but tapatalk is giving me trouble

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
d1f5bea97208718fa9a058dfc58780b1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried their standard Engineer boots with steel toe in 10.5 few days ago and even tho I normally wear 10.5 to 11, they were so tiny I couldn't even put them on. I think I'd need 12 or something... But they're excellent boots!

Steel toe sucks, though.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
These fit just about perfect but i'd be happy with a 1/4" stretch. Qnyone able to weigh in as to if i can expect that.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I notice that Chilpewa is only making E width and bigger. Can anyone comment on this? Were their D super narrow?
I am typically a D. They have a great sale going on o'd love to take advantage of.
These fit just about perfect but i'd be happy with a 1/4" stretch. Qnyone able to weigh in as to if i can expect that.
YES..........

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
I have found that with steel toe boots you need to be careful of the vamp - the part of the shoe that fits just over the top of the your arch. If you have "tall" arch the edge of the steel cup will possibly bite into it. However you will probably not have much luck getting this measurement from the seller or from Chippewa. You can google how to measure it and then maybe find more info as to if your arch is "taller" than normal. I did not realize this until I bought a pair of Wesco ST jobmasters that were actually quite painful on the top of my foot and finally realized my "tall arch." I have a couple pairs of Chip and found them to be true to size for my 11.5 but in the Chip Enginner I went with size 12D. (I am sort of a 'tweener.)

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Thanks
It is the engineer boot on the Chippewa website under the originals tab. It was on sale last weekend for $175! I wanted to try them on in person so I went to Schott in Chicago. They were listed there for $310. They came down in price to Chippewas normal $225. They run large. I sized down 1 1/2 sizes from regular athletic shoe.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question or if it would be better to start a new thread, but I have a question about a a pair of chippewa engineer boots that I bought yesterday.

I’m really happy with them but I noticed something about them that maybe someone here could shed some light on. The stitching doesn’t seem to go all around the boot, only the front half looks to be stitched. I compared with my other boots and found the same on my RW engineers and Iron Rangers. Not on my RW moc toes where the stitches run the way around.

Does this mean that the heel part of the boot is glued rather than stitched? Or are there hidden stitches somewhere?

4587c93cfc00883d6bd60ee42d03ff09.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Gav

Practically Family
Presumably Chippewa use a real Goodyear welt method in which case, this is a 270 degree welt as opposed to a 360 degree welt. The heel part is nailed on. 360 welts are a bit more waterproof but don’t work with the aesthetics of a Cuban or woodsman heel, you don’t see them on this type of engineer boot where the heel is trimmed close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters