Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing the jacket

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Looks nice! Where did you order this?
Also how much does it weigh?
Its a close up of the custom Wayfarer he ordered from Aero I linked to the post he originally shared it in above

223b3cfb-20d9-41a5-8e88-3c85ca0df32a-jpeg.365550

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
@Mrfrown , will not quote the messages, they are big enough. Thank you so much for the provided info!!
I used to look at Thedi but obviously missed smth, will look closer for sure! Also will check Fields and Theo.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Ah, yes, Aero! How is Aero template? I heard their fit is not the best?

Generally Aero fit can be hit or miss, it helps to know the exact measurements you'd like. So folks like @MrProper and @Salmosalar who have been replying in this thread have had success multiple times getting what they want. However, there is a learning period with the Aero patterns and you're less likely to get just the perfect fit on your first try.

This is why I recommended Thedi Leathers (Theo is the maker at Thedi. Thedi is a nickname for him).

He already has a bunch of warm shearling options which you could pick from if any appeal to the man in question.

But Thedi is also a creative maestro. If you go to him with your request and all your specifications, you can trust that he will steer you in a good direction. And if he says he can make the jacket you want, you can trust him. If getting it right the first time is very important, that's what I would do.

Mrfrown

One Too Many
I would also like to add, these higher end makers (including Aero) will generally remake the jacket if it doesn't fit properly. I haven't dealt directly with them in these cases, but @Tom71 @MrProper and I'm sure many others have experienced it and could provide details. They stand by the jackets they make.

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Generally Aero fit can be hit or miss, it helps to know the exact measurements you'd like. So folks like @MrProper and @Salmosalar who have been replying in this thread have had success multiple times getting what they want. However, there is a learning period with the Aero patterns and you're less likely to get just the perfect fit on your first try.

This is why I recommended Thedi Leathers (Theo is the maker at Thedi. Thedi is a nickname for him).

He already has a bunch of warm shearling options which you could pick from if any appeal to the man in question.

But Thedi is also a creative maestro. If you go to him with your request and all your specifications, you can trust that he will steer you in a good direction. And if he says he can make the jacket you want, you can trust him. If getting it right the first time is very important, that's what I would do.

Yes, I will do definitely! That info is very valuable, thank you!!

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
I would also like to add, these higher end makers (including Aero) will generally remake the jacket if it doesn't fit properly. I haven't dealt directly with them in these cases, but @Tom71 @MrProper and I'm sure many others have experienced it and could provide details. They stand by the jackets they make.

This unfortunately doesnt give us any use, because we are in Russia and the man will not spend money on returning it and getting back, waiting for long time, etc. Hed rather buy another jacket and this one would mark as inappropriate)

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
How long did it take you to get that produced?
About 3 months in total I think for this one - typically my Aero custom jackets take between 1-4 months from placing the order to completion. It depends on the hide and availability of the cutters etc so worth asking them directly if they can give an estimate.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This unfortunately doesnt give us any use, because we are in Russia and the man will not spend money on returning it and getting back, waiting for long time, etc. Hed rather buy another jacket and this one would mark as inappropriate)
I'm afraid you've set yourself an impossible task.
Wash me, but don't get me wet.
It's not clear what he wants, he doesn't know his measurements, it's supposed to be good quality, it's supposed to fit like tailor-made, it's supposed to be available immediately without waiting, it's supposed to be perfect on the first try. Failed attempts do not seem to be allowed. It doesn't work that way. Some things are just mutually exclusive. I really only see the possibility of either buying used, or something that is in stock. But then it's a matter of luck if it fits perfectly. But with an average figure, the chances are better.
If money would not play a role, then you could of course solve it by buying and trying many variants. What does not fit, is resold or given away. Maybe there is a leather cutter who can adjust a jacket that is not optimal.

good luck.

Aloysius

Thank you. I agree with you but the person wants a pilot leather jacket or at least a leather jacket. He is not interested in non-leather, such he already has...

If he is interested in pilot clothing, the N-3B is an incredible option. It was designed for wear in extremely cold climates (as cold as -51C), so it would work in Russia, and has an amazing mid-century pilot aesthetic.

You can get excellent N-3Bs at every price, ranging from $100 to $1000+ for Buzz Rickson's or Real McCoy's, but even the cheaper options are excellent. The Waiper model is also well-worth considering; it has comparable materials (including real fur collar) to the $1000+ models, but is about $250 on Amazon Japan.

1_000000000538.jpg

Last edited:

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Guys, thank you much for your replies, will answer everything back.
Now an urgent question. Please, can anyone provide insight about ANJ-4 by Eastman, which I asked above, about? Is it broken grain? What is bad or good about broken grain? Does the leather become less durable when in broken grain?

What do you think of this jacket? It is available for immediate delivery and in necessary sizes!
And how hard is it to break in? I understood from the shop that it will take time.
Sorry for stupid questions! Afraid someone would buy it.
https://deeceestyle.ch/products/eastman-shearling-flying-jacket-anj-4

Last edited:

MrProper

Guys, thank you much for your replies, will answer everything back.
Now an urgent question. Please, can anyone provide insight about ANJ-4 by Eastman, which I asked above, about? Is it broken grain? What is bad or good about broken grain? Does the leather become less durable when in broken grain?

What do you think of this jacket? It is available for immediate delivery and in necessary sizes!
And how hard is it to break in? I understood from the shop that it will take time.
Sorry for stupid questions! Afraid someone would buy it.
https://deeceestyle.ch/products/eastman-shearling-flying-jacket-anj-4

As far as I know, broken grain means the cracked top coat on the leather.
Break in does not really need it in my opinion with this jacket. Possibly the reinforcements of HH leather. The should have adapted well after a few times wear.

Perhaps it won't hurt to question this jacket in the Vintage Leather Jacket forum.

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Thank you much, @MrProper , you are being very kind!
I read it about broken grain too but i cant figure out which consequences such delamination has..

El Marro

Julia,
From reading the Eastman website it sounds like the broken grain simply refers to the outward appearance of the sheepskin. It should not affect the durability or longevity of the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy