Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas decorations.

Chicago Jimmy

Familiar Face
Fresh tree with C-7 lights and mostly 40s-50s ornaments.The star at the top I found on ebay,rewired and polished it up.
Thanks dehermann1...my 1st time with photobucket.
IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I seem to recall seeing a documentary on the adoption of Christmas trees into modern tradition. There were pictures of trees suspended from the ceiling. Looked interesting. You'd need high ceilings but it might get around the pet problem.

I believe those trees are a eastern European tradition. I think it developed from hanging a branch from the ceiling but some people hung entire trees this way. I know it used to be done in some parts or by some families in Poland (according to some Polish friends I used to associate with).

You might be able to tie together several garlands or tear-drop shaped tabletop/door pine decorations (from a crafts store) to get a small tree shape, that way it is not long enough for the cats to grab.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Here are some of mine....
All vintage!
GEDC0900.JPG

GEDC0946.JPG

GEDC0928

I love the ones that are like the one on the left!
I have quite a few more, but I'm waiting till Christmas Eve to put them up.:)..

I want to get some "Bubbler Lights" one of these days.

Some of us prefer to start later. Technically the 12 Days of Christmas starts with Christmas Eve so the "Season" of Christmas doesn't actually start with the day after Halloween or the day after Thanksgiving.

For those that can't hold off putting up a tree on the last Sunday in Advent (tomorrow) is a good point.

Friends of mine only put up a tree and decorate in on Christmas Eve and take it down on the 12th day of Christmas.

Last edited:

Michaelson

One Too Many
Late to the thread....this has been an odd year for the entire family. Not sure why, but we're just short of the Christmas spirit, and just about all of us (and that's talking about 4 families with my wife and her sisters) went with a small table tree and few items sitting around. Still nice, but we're just not in the mood much this year. Really really odd too, as we have a garage attic FULL of boxes and cans of stuff we always carry up the hill to the house...but this year? No. Heard exactly the same story from everyone else too.
I appreciate seeing others going full-bore, though.
Regards, and a Merry Christmas! Michaelson

Late to the thread....this has been an odd year for the entire family. Not sure why, but we're just short of the Christmas spirit. Heard exactly the same story from everyone else too.
I appreciate seeing others going full-bore, though. Regards, and a Merry Christmas! Michaelson

I think it has to do with the economics of the country, and the continuing uncertainty that we are in. It hard to celebrate enthusiastically under such conditions and even if one is still doing well there may be a sense of restraint so that it's not an "in your face" type of a thing for others that aren't doing well. (I am reminded of a certain "Malaise" speech
on July 15th, 1979.)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Here is the Christmas tree and decorations for the Hood's household
P1030179.jpg

P1030178.jpg

P1030177.jpg

P1030176.jpg

In the photo of the fireplace, the toy house on the far left hand side is the Parkers' house from A Christmas Story, the one on the far right hand side is the house from It's a Wonderful Life, and the cane leaning in the corner is for the closing shot in Miracle on 34th Street.

Last edited:

epr25

Practically Family
Here's our shelf in the bathroom
bathroom.jpg
[/IMG]
Our dining room
Diningroom.jpg
[/IMG]
Santa who is an old mechanical store display
SantaandElf.jpg
[/IMG]
And our leg lamp from our wedding there t the Christmas Story House
LegLamp.jpg
[/IMG]

Warbaby

One Too Many
This year we decided to go seriously traditional with real candles on the tree. Since we'd never done candles before, we approached it cautiously with a small 5' table-top tree that was rather sparce. Next year we'll fearlessly go with a big tree and lots more candles...

Tree_8159cr12.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Every year my missus either buys or makes a new Santa, this year it's the one in white in the far right corner. She made the crib and the figurines many years ago. She also likes to set our dining table, the two carver chairs at each end are removed, replaced at the far end by the Christmas tree, that is yet to be decorated. We have quite a large entrance hall that the tree would look just right in, but with three very playful cats, we keep the tree where we can see it. Here's the Santas and the dining table. The tree I will post when done.
hugo xmas 2019 009.JPG hugo xmas 2019 015.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner