Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Films….

Warden

One Too Many
Muppet Christmas Carol makes me feel Christmassy every time.

muppet-christmas-carol-cd.jpg

After seeing the Muppets version I read the book and out of all the adaptations, this is one of the closest to the book I have ever seen.

Harry

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
imoldfashioned said:
"Remember the Night (1940) with Barbara and Fred MacMurray. He plays a D.A. prosecuting Barbara for shoplifting (if you see the bracelet she pinches, you can’t blame her) who ends up taking her home for an old-fashioned Christmas."

One of my all time favorite films, that. The credits on this are stellar; Preston Sturges wrote it, Mitchell Leisen directed and the supporting cast is fantastic--Beulah Bondi, Sterling Holloway, Elizabeth Patterson.

My favorite bits are the scene when Stanwyck asks what MacMurray would do if he were starving, Holloway and Stanwyck singing "When You Come to the End of a Perfect Day", Stanwyck meeting her mother and MacMurray getting her out of there--all great. Stanwyck is so wonderful--I'd watch that woman read the phone book.

(And you're so right about that bracelet! Stanwyck has some very nice outfits in this movie, and the house in Indiana is a dream)

Those are classic scenes, moldfashioned! I also like the one where they are almost arrested, and Barbara gives her occupation as "bubble dancer."

Dixon's Dame

Familiar Face
It is too early! LOL! But I can watch We're No Angels any time of the year. Love love love that movie!! "It followed me -- against my will." That movie is way too quotable. "After you, lout." I've recently introduced my sister's kids to this one, and they loved it. They've already requested another viewing at Christmas time this year.

And it's not an golden age classic, but I personally always watch Die Hard every year come Christmas. :D

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I don't think it is ever too early. Christmas, Halloween, whatever. Watch what you want when you feel like it. What a great way to get in a festive mood any time during the year.

What better time to watch A Christmas Story or White Christmas than in the middle of July or August when its 100 degrees outside?

Edward

Bartender
I loved the made-for-TV Christmas Carol starring Patrick Stewart - I'd kill to see his one-man stage version. The animated short "The last man" is a classic - always gets to me.

For more TV-fare as opposed to movies proper, I always loved the parody of It's a wonderful Life that Married with Children did one year. Al Bundy's angel can't find any reason for Al to stay alive - everything is so much better for everyone without him - but gets his wings in the end anyhow because Al decides "why should they all be happy without me??" lol

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Patrick Stewart's TV version was lame! I vastly prefer the Alastair Sim, George C. Scott, and Mr. Magoo versions.

I have nothing against Stewart, per se, he's always great, but I found the overall production somehow lacking. It just didn't get me all ferklempt like the others...

(I'm a particular fan of the 1984 Scott version, which has an opulent production and an amazing cast - David Warner, Edward Woodward, Frank Finlay, Roger Rees, Susana York, etc. And Scott is so good that you don't even notice he's the only one who doesn't have an English accent!)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
King Kong?????

For years, decades, one of the stations in New York used to celebrate Thanksgiving by broadcasting "King Kong". It became a Turkeyday necessity for a whole generation of New Yorkers. [huh]

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
For years, decades, one of the stations in New York used to celebrate Thanksgiving by broadcasting "King Kong". It became a Turkeyday necessity for a whole generation of New Yorkers. [huh]
Oh man, it was the day AFTER Thanksgiving that I miss....monster movies ALL day! Starting with King Kong, and usually ending with Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster! I miss those days!

K

killertomata

I am a huge fan of Yuletidey movies. Especially all versions of A Christmas Carol.

But my favorite Yuletidey movie is Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck.

The cool thing is, if you bought the DVD in a set from Target last year, it features this awesome little short film called A Star in the Night. Yes, I'm Pagan but I love the spirit of the story of Christ's birth, and the whole wise men, angel, 'no room at the inn' theme in A Star in the Night always leaves me with a tear or two in my eyes, it's so touching. Nativity stories and stories related to it always get to me. Especially- omg- Disney's Small One. Forget it! I cry through practically that whole thing! That one isn't a nativity story but it ends up related.

Other stand bys every year:
A Christmas Story- (go Ralphie)
Trapped in Paradise- a cute movie that reminds me of old school stories
Little Women- every version
Prancer- I would do the same thing as that little girl did
Elf - if only for the best flying reindeer scenes ever. lol
Remember the Night - I love Barbara Stanwyck
Miracle on 34th Street- but really for me only the original
It's a Wonderful Life- and the Lux Radio and Screen Director's Playhouse radio versions

and of course- Pluto's Christmas Tree
000071cb

olive bleu

One Too Many
I love Christmas but hate the mad throngs at the mall, so every year, i start shopping earlier and earlier, which only means that I just end up spending more money every year..so, every year i get fed up and stressed earlier..so in a nutshell, no it is not too early, because my 2 favourites, A Christmas Story and "A Charlie brown Christmas", just crack me up and then I can face the season once more.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am not such a Christmas movie nut, prefer on Christmas Eve to listen to classical music, Christmas with Pavorrati or sacred classical music or the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing.

Thanks Joie for mentioning Three Godfathers, that is a wonderful film and puts a lump in my throat everytime. It would be excellent for watching at Christmas, even my mother would like it.

There are movies I watch during the season that I am fond of: The 1951 Alastair Sym A Christman Carol, did enjoy the Christmas Story one year. I try to avoid It's a Wonderful Life (too many viewings), but I don't think mother has watched it and this might be a good year to see it again.

Will have to check out the Stanwyck film, too. Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Oh, yes, I forgot -- I have done all my Christmas shopping.

Why? Many of my friends live far away and I need to send packages early. Also, I detest going to crowded malls and stores and will not shop during the holiday madness.

It does irritate me to see Christmas displays before even Halloween. Many stores make the great brunt of their monies during the holiday season, I guess they are just wanting to stretch the season even more.

karol

Miss Brill

One Too Many
-The Thin Man
-Bachelor Mother
-Meet Me in St. Louis
-A Christmas Story
-The Man Who Came to Dinner
-The Shop Around the Corner
-Little Women (the one with Mary Astor and Elizabeth Taylor)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
killertomata said:
But my favorite Yuletidey movie is Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck.

The cool thing is, if you bought the DVD in a set from Target last year, it features this awesome little short film called A Star in the Night. Yes, I'm Pagan but I love the spirit of the story of Christ's birth, and the whole wise men, angel, 'no room at the inn' theme in A Star in the Night always leaves me with a tear or two in my eyes, it's so touching. Nativity stories and stories related to it always get to me. Especially- omg- Disney's Small One. Forget it! I cry through practically that whole thing! That one isn't a nativity story but it ends up related.

YES! I loved that short little movie extra on the DVD. Very, very touching.

I can't wait to watch Christmas in Connecticut this year. It's such a fun movie.

Hondo

One Too Many
Scrooge with Bill Murray is take off from on a Christmas Carol,
See Lee Majors saves Santa TV Special, its a change of pace,
really hilarious, one of my favorites.

RyFranzese24

Familiar Face
'Love Actually' is my choice. I think it is very good, and I know it is not necessarily about Christmas, but it has a great deal to do with it. And all those love stories are rather touching, and just embodies the season a bit to me.

Hey, it's more about Christmas then say, 'Die Hard.'

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I forgot -- I like to watch Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. Fun to watch.

I also don't mind watching it on Halloween, either. Or anytime between Halloween and Christmas.

karol

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
I just saw that Turner Classic Movies will be running some of the golden era films mentioned here:
Sunday Dec 2: The Shop Around the Corner (1940), followed by its musical remake In the Good Old Summertime (1949).
Sunday, Dec. 9, Reginald Owen takes the lead in A Christmas Carol (1938), followed by the Frank Capra classic Meet John Doe (1941).
Judy Garland takes over Sunday, Dec. 16, with starring roles in Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) and Love Finds Andy Hardy (1938).
And Sunday, Dec. 23, offers up the gift of romance with Christmas in Connecticut (1945) and Holiday Affair (1950).

On Christmas Eve they'll be showing The Bishop’s Wife (1947), Cover Girl
(1944), The Bells of St. Mary’s (1945) and Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner