Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christy's of London

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
the dollar has dropped

I began ordering another one yesterday, only to find that it's going to cost me a lot extra now, more than $20 extra, to order the same hat. I only got my previous order less than a month ago, but now it costs a LOT more. I cancelled the order, even though it's not Hornet's fault. I just can't deal with a more than 20% increase in less than a month.

jlagman

New in Town
I remember feeling a bit disappointed when I bought my light grey Adventurer last year and a wrote a pseudo-scathing review. However, I have grown to really love that hat; it's probably the dressiest looking hat in my relatively limited collection.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
review

jlagman said:
I remember feeling a bit disappointed when I bought my light grey Adventurer last year and a wrote a pseudo-scathing review. However, I have grown to really love that hat; it's probably the dressiest looking hat in my relatively limited collection.

hi, you gave me some decent info on the hat awhile ago. when you ordered it though, did any of these mishaps happen to you like?

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Good afternoon,

I'm on the lookout for my first felt hat, and popped into my one and only local hat shop yesterday. Their stock is mainly Christy's hats - the Knightsbridge and Epsom models I think.

When I asked the manager about which colours are available, he started grumbling aout how hard it is to get the stock in from Christy's - he only had brown or black.

So, I looked online - there are more colours available at various sites, and it's cheaper too of course.

BUT - my question is:
Village Hats have a Stetson Temple redced from £128 to £74 - quite a saving and only £20 more than a Christy's - is the quality better? Is it worth the extra £20?

Thanks.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Methuselah said:
Good afternoon,

I'm on the lookout for my first felt hat, and popped into my one and only local hat shop yesterday. Their stock is mainly Christy's hats - the Knightsbridge and Epsom models I think.

When I asked the manager about which colours are available, he started grumbling aout how hard it is to get the stock in from Christy's - he only had brown or black.

So, I looked online - there are more colours available at various sites, and it's cheaper too of course.

BUT - my question is:
Village Hats have a Stetson Temple redced from £128 to £74 - quite a saving and only £20 more than a Christy's - is the quality better? Is it worth the extra £20?

Thanks.
I only have the foldaway Christy's, but I also have a Temple, and I do feel it's worth the extra money. I like my Temple a lot.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I've got a Temple as well as a Christy's Adventurer. The felt on the Christy's feels softer. The thing about the Temple is that I guess they're powder dyed? Well, I was handling my hat with sweaty hands, and some of the color started rubbing off. Nothing major, but it was a little disappointing. I don't have it in me to actually bring that hat out in the rain. Of course, I wouldn't wear a Christy's in the rain either.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
jlee562 said:
I've got a Temple as well as a Christy's Adventurer. The felt on the Christy's feels softer. The thing about the Temple is that I guess they're powder dyed? Well, I was handling my hat with sweaty hands, and some of the color started rubbing off. Nothing major, but it was a little disappointing. I don't have it in me to actually bring that hat out in the rain. Of course, I wouldn't wear a Christy's in the rain either.
I have heard a lot about this over the last six months, so yesterday we had a rain storm here and I put the Temple to the test. Here are pics of it:
IMG_4122.jpg

It wasn't a huge soaking because the storm was less than expected, but as you can see, it got wet, and I can testify that if it was powder dyed, they did a good job, as the color didn't "rub off" as I had heard. Today it looks brand new, after being worn in the rain yesterday. I think Stetson has improved their product.

Lokar

A-List Customer
I've worn a modern Christy's hat in light to moderate rain a few times recently, and I've had no issues at all. I wouldn't trust it in heavy rain, but I wouldn't trust any hat that isn't vintage in heavy rain (plus, I'd have an umbrella anyway).

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn said:
I have heard a lot about this over the last six months, so yesterday we had a rain storm here and I put the Temple to the test. Here are pics of it:
IMG_4122.jpg

It wasn't a huge soaking because the storm was less than expected, but as you can see, it got wet, and I can testify that if it was powder dyed, they did a good job, as the color didn't "rub off" as I had heard. Today it looks brand new, after being worn in the rain yesterday. I think Stetson has improved their product.

That's interesting....but honestly, I swear I had brown marks on my jeans after handling my hat with wet hands.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
jlee562 said:
That's interesting....but honestly, I swear I had brown marks on my jeans after handling my hat with wet hands.
I believe you, Jlee, I truly do. I've seen enough written by very credible people to know there's truth to this. I'm just hoping Stetson has learned its lesson and improved its product. I guess we'll know more as more people buy them and wear them out in the rain. Eventually we'll have a large body of knowledge on this.

I also read a post a few weeks ago where someone said after wearing his Temple, it had shrunk to children's size. Mine hasn't shrunk at all. I do wonder about posts like that, since that was his/her first post ever on FL. He seemed to have a real grudge against Stetson.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
Well all I can say is... the more we talk about it, the more they read, and... well hopefully the powder is out of the hats.

How wide is the ribbon on that Temple?
1 3/4 inches, Matt.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
cybergentleman said:
I emailed hornets numerous times about the color swatches on their site.

could you post those swatches on here? maybe scan it in?
Sorry for the delay, cybergentleman. It took me a while to find the time to do this, then I had trouble with the flash on my camera washing out all color, and then without the flash they were all darker than reality. I finally got a somewhat decent representation of the colors they sent me. Here it is:
IMG_4130.jpg

Lokar

A-List Customer
The Beige is a bit lighter than that photo shows (at least on my monitor), but not too much lighter.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
fabulous work.

Blackthorn said:
Sorry for the delay, cybergentleman. It took me a while to find the time to do this, then I had trouble with the flash on my camera washing out all color, and then without the flash they were all darker than reality. I finally got a somewhat decent representation of the colors they sent me.

WOW!

these are dark colors!

very rich colors, but dark...subtle differences, i like this.

thanks for the effort- very informative post!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
You're welcome, CG!

cybergentleman said:
Blackthorn said:
Sorry for the delay, cybergentleman. It took me a while to find the time to do this, then I had trouble with the flash on my camera washing out all color, and then without the flash they were all darker than reality. I finally got a somewhat decent representation of the colors they sent me.

WOW!

these are dark colors!

very rich colors, but dark...subtle differences, i like this.

thanks for the effort- very informative post!

I don't know what color scheme you have in mind, but those are indeed dark colors. One thing you might try is their light grey. I didn't ask them to send me a swatch in that color, but on their site it appears to be a lighter color, if that fits your ideas of color schemes.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
colors

hi,

well i already ordered the sable color with black band. i thought that would be an unassuming color. but i am now thinking that the maize was the way to go- oh well.

maybe next time.

i don't understand why retailers refuse to post swatches- it would probably increase their business

frussell

One Too Many
Burma Adventurer

The Adventurer in Burma is in the mail. Should get here in the next week or so. Followed quickly by a Fed IV in carbon grey. This means that I will have to thin the herd a bit, so if any other large melons are looking for a good buy on a Silverbelly Campdraft size 62, or a Moonstone Squatter from David Morgan (with the vent grommets on the side) in 63, they'll probably be up on the classifieds soon. Two hats wouldn't normally mean much of a problem, but I've got two more on the way from being converted/renovated as well, both very close to the Campdraft's color. I'm looking forward to the Christy's, Hornets Hats took a while, but ironed out the kinks honestly and professionally. Assuming the hat doesn't get lost in the mail, I'm a happy customer. Frank

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Wow, thanks for all the information - those colour swatches are useful, one of the perils of choosing my first fedora is the colour: Oh the joy of being a ginger!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred