Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

City Heat - A 1930s era oddity

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I had forgotten about that movie. I remember it was fun to watch, but only because of Clint and Burt.

One thing about your review, MD - the first military issue of the Colt .45 ACP M1911 was in 1912, so they were around during Prohibition. Unless you're talking about a Colt .45 LC, in which case, the SAA had been around since 1873! :) Good review, though.

Brad

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Thanks for the info - I will correct accordingly - Don't know how that one got by me - Mike

EDIT: The review has been corrected. I must have been in the zone or something when I wrote that - As a WWI buff, I am well aware of the 1911's origins. I don't know what I was smoking. - Mike

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I think we tend to associate the M1911 more with WWII than earlier or later periods, just out of habit. Such a classic and efficient design that it had a looonnnggg service life. When did the Baretta replace it, late '80s, early '90s? Remarkable weapon.

Brad

Michaelson

One Too Many
Yep, the Colt 1911 was around in 1912, but the front bushing and safety features were changed later, prior to WW2, and it became the 1911A1...two different models here. Anyone remember the year that change occurred. I've gone blank... :rolleyes: Regards! Michaelson

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Michaelson, I thought you were our resident firearms expert! :) I had to look it up. June 15, 1926 is when the M1911A1 went into production, incorporating the lessons learned from WWI.

Brad

Michaelson

One Too Many
Expert? Not hardly, just a 'knower of things'....not ALL things....just... well.... things. (grins) At least I had the model change and prior to WW2 part right! ;) Regards! Michaelson

Explorer

New in Town
If I remember correctly, there were two or three improvements made to the 1911 in 1926: one was a lenthened grip safety tang to prevent hammer bite to the hand, a second change was replacing the flat main spring housing with a curved one to allow a better grip, and the third change was a trigger finger relief cut-out on the frame next to the trigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy