Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Casual Jackets every man should own . . .

celtic

A-List Customer
Nighthawk said:
If one is a veteran I see no problem with patches etc. on jackets.

Or if you're in a motorcycle gang. ;)

motorcycle club

motorcycle gangs is what those trying to cash in on fear (newspapers, magazines, b-movies) call motorcycle clubs.

;)

pdxvintagette said:
Letterman/Varsity.... REALLY?

How about replacing this requirment with a basic gabardine ricky jacket? Better basic from the same time period. Plus, that would give your requirements three heavyweight jackets, and two lightweight.

What man should have..???

1. A2 jacket (Aero or Good Wear)
2. Carhartt Detroit jacket
3. Stockman coat (Aero)
4. Monarch civilan (Good Wear)
5. Halfbelt (Aero)
6. 3/4 Shearling coat..for extreme cold weather..

I like the Carhartt jeans most....(straight leg)
Khaki and corduroi pants by Bill's Khaki.
Suede cowboy boots (Luchesse)..workboots (Chippewa)..

I think....this well help me through hard times...

Johan

Maguire

Practically Family
I'm not so sure, I've got a peacoat, an m65 jacket, a black overcoat and two trenchcoats. I don't see the reason for any other kind. I may want a Safari jacket at one point in the future, but otherwise.. not really. I'm not big on flight jackets or those denim jackets. also: no one over the age of 12 who isn't living in the tundra should own those ridiculous big poofy jackets i see everywhere.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Yes, say what you will about the lettermen jacket. Those of us who earned them and wore them in the flame of our youth, dragged them to school, practice, games, dances, the boondocks with our best (most available) girl have the same attachment that some hold for the A2, M41, or peacoat.

And for some it was an adolescent way to hang your identity on your back, at least for a couple of years. It's a fine coat for the upper body, though you might freeze your ass off in it.

Don't be hatin' the jacket.

Mark

icecold

One of the Regulars
Flaming_Groovy said:
What man should have..???

1. A2 jacket (Aero or Good Wear)
2. Carhartt Detroit jacket
3. Stockman coat (Aero)
4. Monarch civilan (Good Wear)
5. Halfbelt (Aero)
6. 3/4 Shearling coat..for extreme cold weather..

I like the Carhartt jeans most....(straight leg)
Khaki and corduroi pants by Bill's Khaki.
Suede cowboy boots (Luchesse)..workboots (Chippewa)..

I think....this well help me through hard times...

Johan

This list is the closest to my own - i have 1&5, and will be purchasing 2&3 these weeks lol but of course, being the OCD maniac I am, I'd inevitably introduce some (a lot of) redundancy. And by redundancy I mean a cheap way to fool myself into believeing that I'll own less jackets than I actually will 9after all, 2 versions of a jacket for similar purpose only counts as one, really lol ). So I would add:

7. A barnstormer (to beat to death and use as a 'soft' trenchcoat.... - Eeeeee-ventually...)
8. Plain-er leather jacket such as Aero Ace Rocker
9. The Indiana jones jacket
10. 1-2 Ricky jackets
11. Barracuda G-9
12. M65
13. Navy deck jacket
14. Current issue G-1

gaah, i need help :eek: :D [huh] :D :rage:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Just One Please

Matt Crunk said:
1. A-2 Flight Jacket
2. Black Leather Motorcycle Jacket
3. Navy Pea Coat
4. Letterman/Varsity Jacket (mine is black wool body w/black leather sleeves and gloriously free of insignia of any kind.)
5. Denim "Blue Jean" Jacket.

I'm with the Baron as to disliking the A-2, I own a motorcycle jacket, but only because I ride a motorcycle, I think varsity jackets are for high school, and I wear jeans too often to wear a denim jacket - no Tennessee Tuxedo here.

I'm no sailer but I've got a vintage pea coat (70s, based on the dating thread, with metal buttons). I only have it because it was less than $15 at a thrift store and it fits me perfectly.

Ideally, I'd have some sort of half belt Aero in fqhh, but I'm not shelling out that much for casual wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy