Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Casual Jackets every man should own . . .

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
This is just my opinion of course, but I'll start this off with five I'd consider essential classics for a well rounded coat closet (not including heavy winter or dress coats):

1. A-2 Flight Jacket
2. Black Leather Motorcycle Jacket
3. Navy Pea Coat
4. Letterman/Varsity Jacket (mine is black wool body w/black leather sleeves and gloriously free of insignia of any kind.)
5. Denim "Blue Jean" Jacket.

Generally, my feeling is that if you are over the age of 25, all the above should probably be in original, unmodified condition and free of garish decorations, logos or insignia of any kind.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I don't agree on the denim one, but otherwise this is a pretty good guideline. I'm still looking for a good letterman.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Hmmm... the only place where we meet is a navy peacoat, but I classify mine as "winter coat" as its oversized to fit a sweater and a tweed blazer...

1. Got a bit naff modern Cooper G1 only
2. Mine is brown (though I have a Hein Gericke suit that has a semi-wearable jacket)
3. Och aye.
4. How about a white "Gulf" jacket.. got also an EMPI windbreaker and a Gulf team jacket... its the motorhead in me.
5. Got a lined Carhartt one... have passed through numerous truckers - I guess my only jacket as a kid was a denim one...looking for a vintage style Levis these days

Black Prince

Familiar Face
That's probably quite a US-centric list. In the UK, letterman/varsity jackets are much less frequent; probably more commonly seen (in London, certainly) is a Belstaff or Barbour belted jacket in waxed cotton or leather.

Also, there's always been something of a tendency to pair smart jackets with jeans. In recent years, it's been common to see half a pinstripe suit with a pair of 501s. I have a beautifully soft, semi-fitted black leather blazer (from Gieves & Hawkes) which fits the bill for those smart/casual occasions.

Also, rather than an A-2, I alternate between an Irvin and a brown Aero Highwayman, depending on the weather.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Good list, though I would substitute the A-2 with a 1930s style belted back leather and the denim jacket with a leather jacket of the same design as the denim.

Baggers

Practically Family
I'd add the U.S. M41 Field Jacket to the list. It makes a great knock-around casual jacket for cool weather. Check out Gene Barry wearing the earlier style Parson's jacket in War of the Worlds for a great example of what to wear on a fishing trip.

Cheers!

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Crunk said:
4. Letterman/Varsity Jacket (mine is black wool body w/black leather sleeves and gloriously free of insignia of any kind.)

Generally, my feeling is that if you are over the age of 25, all the above should probably be in original, unmodified condition and free of garish decorations, logos or insignia of any kind.

what about if the letterman jacket has patches & pins for awards & citations on it?

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Depends. Are the awards and citations from high school honors? If so, they'd be best left in the momento closet, IMHO. A grown man still wearing his decorated high school letterman jacket might look pretty sad.

To each his own, I guess. Some insignia on a letterman jacket or even an A-2 flight jacket might be acceptable if tastfully done (and not over-done), although I personally think both look better plain.

Edward

Bartender
Matt Crunk said:
This is just my opinion of course, but I'll start this off with five I'd consider essential classics for a well rounded coat closet (not including heavy winter or dress coats):

1. A-2 Flight Jacket
3. Navy Pea Coat

Interesting list.... I can see where you're gonig with 1 & 2, though I'm not so convinced by the rest, myself. I do have a couple of peacoats which I've had for years (one black ,the other blue; the black is the modern, US wool mix one you see everywhere, the blue a post-war West German naval jacket), but I rarely wear them now - only once in a blue moon. Even casually, if I'm going for an overcoat nowadays I would much prefer a full length coat. That said, I don't drive: I can see the attraction of a peacoat for wearing in-car.

Letterman jackets I've never been a big fan of: put it down to the shape adding more visual bulk to me that I really don't need!

As to jean jackets... I had one in my teans to early 20s that I wore to death, then about five years ago I bought a Levis Type 1 on sale. I go through phases with it, whether i like to wear it in warmer weather or not: these days I'm feeling the 'double-denim' look is a bit Jeremy Clarkson for my liking, and there's not really anything other than jeans I can imagine sporting it with. I will likely replace it with a black, zip-up alternative in future.

As to adding to the list, I'd put in a vote for a Harrington-type jacket - great for cooler days and evenings in the Summer, and if you're not fussy about it having Raglan sleeves or being 100% cotton, you can find very serviceable examples very affordably. I have one in bright red (a kind-of James Dean influence), and will probably add a navy one, and maybe a two-tone black/white option when the weather gets warmer.

Satori

New in Town
I have an A-2 and a denim and would add an M41 and a tanker jacket to the list.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Fun topic, and not a bad list, Matt. But I think it reflects a certain flair for mainstream casual that not everybody can pull off. For example, I look ridiculous in a Varsity jacket, and there are some who would look silly in denim. Also, I think it should be slightly less specific.

My list is more general;
1. A brown leather bomber-style jacket.
2. Any color Pea Coat or car coat.
3. One military or safari style jacket (authentic or fashion).
4. One black leather jacket of an enduring style.
5. A light casual jacket that fits your life and style (denim, casual blazer, Carhartt, team jacket, etc.)

I've got all 4 from the original list or fairly close facsimile. My letter jacket is black on black but has Harley-Davidson Bar & Shield chinelle logo patches, small over left chest & large on back across the shoulder. I had it plain for a few years until I saw these patches at a bike show. My pea coat is actually a nice charcoal gray dress coat of that style, not navy surplus. I also have a good chore/barn coat for doing chores in the barn, go figure! I'd also add a nice cord or tweed blazer (no sleeve patches) & a London Fog style trench/overcoat. gtd

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Matt Crunk said:
Depends. Are the awards and citations from high school honors? If so, they'd be best left in the momento closet, IMHO. A grown man still wearing his decorated high school letterman jacket might look pretty sad.

To each his own, I guess. Some insignia on a letterman jacket or even an A-2 flight jacket might be acceptable if tastfully done (and not over-done), although I personally think both look better plain.

If one is a veteran I see no problem with patches etc. on jackets.

Or if you're in a motorcycle gang. ;)

Satori

New in Town
Robert C said:
Lets not forget:

• Navy Deck Jacket
    Harrington G9 Jacket

Good call! I have the Harrington and an 'Old Navy' A-2 permeable repro; I really want a decent N-1 repro.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Letterman/Varsity.... REALLY?

How about replacing this requirment with a basic gabardine ricky jacket? Better basic from the same time period. Plus, that would give your requirements three heavyweight jackets, and two lightweight.

Matt Crunk said:

1. A-2 Flight Jacket
3. Navy Pea Coat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy