Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classic heritage. . .

Becky

New in Town
As with most people my age (40) you'd assume I had hippie parents, but rather, my parents were born during the 20s. My mom was 42 when she had me and dad was 3 years younger. They remember so much from growing up then, but then don't remember what they did yesterday.
One thing I recall her speaking of was their family business and the fact that they were the first family on the block to own a car. Also, buying new cars on a regular basis. My grandfather worked for the railroad (Buffalo, NY) was a fireman and my grandmother managed their two taverns, one of which was called the Silver Nickle (if anyone has heard of such).
My dad would generally speak of how hard it was just scratching a living until the war started. Otherwise they were pretty happy. You see, money doesn't buy happiness. I thought I put this info out there to see who has generational connectedness, closer than grandparents. I always felt I had a better understanding of their world because they were my parents and not a generation removed. Almost but not quite "first-hand". Let me know what you think.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think it comes with being from older parents as well. My mother was 36 when she had me, my father was 7 years older. I was rased with my Granny always around, and she was born in 1920. I got a lot of my old values from her, some too old for my tastes :rolleyes: so I values from differnet generations, that fused into me.

LD

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Add me to the list of agree-ers. My dad was born in 1924 and married late in life, in 1956. My mom is younger and I won't divulge her age although she probably wouldn't mind. And her parents married late in life, for the times, also. My granmere was born in 1903 and when I was born, the mistake after a boy and girl, moved in to take care of us children in the early 60s as my mom and dad both had professional careers. Just today I was thinking how I have always gotten along well with elderly people, and for some reason I rarely was swayed by peer pressure.
This is an interesting theory, Becky.

I can relate to a degree to this, even though I'm a comparative (by elapsed-time-clock and birthdate) youngster: Most of my early years were spent with my maternal grandparents, so they were always more like "Mom" and "Dad" to me than my parents were.

Grandpa, 1923-1989; Grandma, well I'll just quote Sgt. Schultz: "I tell you nossing! Nossing!"

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
My parents too,way before the Boom..Dad was born in 1929,Mom is somewhere near that (not polite to tell!;) ). My grandfather was born in 1898 and grandmother in 1906. Dad listens to Jazz and Mom likes country and western,I'm a Jazz and classical listener myself. Classic heritage,si!:)

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Same story here.

However, both my parents were immigrants. Which, lead to sticking with the old style of manners and dress. Not always as pleasent as one one might think:eek: Especially during the fun loving wild free '60's

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Dad was born in '33 and mom in '34 (she doesn't mind people knowing her age - says she's in her "third childhood," but we sometimes joke that it's senility. :D).

I was raised with classic values, and then mixed in a few modern ones for good measure. I was never outgoing and absolutely never bowed to peer pressure: mom set me straight on that long ago - "No one can make up your mind but you," she said, and "If you get into trouble and it's not your fault, your father and I are here to help you. But if it is your fault, you're on your own." So, I never hung out with a rowdy crowd. I'm the fifth of seven kids, so I didn't need a crowd. lol

Today, courtesy, common sense, personal responsibility and logic have been thrown into the back seat in favor of "Do as I say so that you don't inconvenience me!" And instead of solving a problem, as we did in the classic era, we try to make certain that no one's feelings are hurt because of it.

Lee

I prefer the old ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav