Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Safari vehicles!

andy richards

Practically Family
57plymouth said:
The original Land Rover was on a Jeep frame. So, does that eliminate Land Rovers as well?

I guess I'll just keep driving my non overdrive, not allowed vehicle at 70 on the interstate. :rolleyes:

Gents,
Actually 57plymouth is right in this one.
After WWII the Rover company tried to relive their business and in 1947 Maurice Wilks of the Rover company started an project with an new farm-vehicle. He and his brother had an army surplus Jeep on the farm. They were amazed about this little truck and got inspired to build an "Land Rover". The first PROTOTYPE Land Rover was indeed build on the chassis of a Jeep, though heavily modified. It was a centre steering vehicle, all panels made of Birmabright Aluminum (there was plenty of this after the war). Possibly there was a second prototype. Anyway, after the prototype(s), production started and the series I Land Rover was build in 1948. These were build on a Land Rover steel chassis, no Jeep chassis. Basic design stayed until present Defender (more or less).

And, IMHO, the Land Rover (series or Defender) is the ultimate overland expedition vehcle. Most overlanders choose a series III 109 or Defender 110. Of course you find Toyota Land Cruiser, Nissan Patrol and even Jeeps.
To stay on his topic: The Land Rover is the number 1 chosen safari or overland vehicle.
Cheers,
Andy

andy richards

Practically Family
weatherm said:
With my Fairly OD on I could go ~63mph but as soon as you hit a hill your back down to 55... average 55-60 with mine... only bad thing is since your in a aluminum beer can your ears are ringing from the sounds of the gears... quieter than a diesel where the conversation test fails when the truck starts lol! sorry I should have put jeeps are not allows unless its a willis :)

About 60mph is not too bad for a series Land Rover. If you want more speed, an overdrive is an option or another non-Land Rover engine. I've seen lots of possibilities.... Also you might try Turner Engineering in the UK. They have some nice solutions with Land Rover engines. If you want more speed, please keep in mnd you need good brakes. Front disc brakes are available for all series and easy to install for a mechanic. About the chassis and body: The steel is prone to rust. Also the parts were steel meets the aluminum is prone to electrolyt corrosion. I've treated all my Land Rovers with a special coating. It sure pays off. The fun thing of owning a Land Rover is that any series or Defender can be stripped fully and parts are cheap in Europe. All parts still available. And with a manual, parts catalogue, a set of spanners and a hamer you can fix almost everyhing ;) .
Cheers,
Andu

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Civie and Milspec Power Wagons are nearly the same. I use the Milspec service guide to build passenger car Flatties.

As thus;

GEDC0039.jpg

weatherm

New in Town
+1 for the power wagons! forgot about those

lets just agree to disagree on the jeep box'd chassis... everything has a box chassis that is 4x4 so everything started from the willis jeep :)

MPicciotto

Practically Family
weatherm said:
+1 for the power wagons! forgot about those

lets just agree to disagree on the jeep box'd chassis... everything has a box chassis that is 4x4 so everything started from the willis jeep :)

And the Ford prototype for the Jeep had a tractor engine. So... Does that mean the Land Rover is based on a Ford farm tractor :D ?? I think we are spitting hairs here. Lots of vehicles used off the shelf parts and parts of other vehicles for their PROTOTYPES. What makes an automobile unique is what it's makers build for production.

Oh here is some relevant content:
http://www.landyonline.co.za/locals/mercyships.htm

Matt

andy richards

Practically Family
After Land Rover will stop production of our beloved ultimate safari vehicle, there is still hope...
The Spanish Santana PS10 Hannibal
http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/newcars/santana_hannibal.shtml

Excellent performances, no electronic gizmoz, just a ladder chassis, a perfect 2.8 diesel and easy to maintain vehicle.

santana_02.jpg

Also the Italian Iveco company launched a 4x4 based on the Defender...
The Iveco Massif.

santana.jpg

Both companies step in the gap between the old Land Rovers and the new Toyota Land Cruiser, Nissan Patrol, (any new) Jeep and Mercedes G.

Cheers,
Andy

cookie

I'll Lock Up
57plymouth said:
Civie and Milspec Power Wagons are nearly the same. I use the Milspec service guide to build passenger car Flatties.

As thus;

GEDC0039.jpg

You must hate your job...."enviously eyes cars in the rear"....:rage: :D

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
57plymouth said:
That's not my job. I'm a Stay At Home Dad and part time home inspector. I fiddle with cars on the side for walkin' cash and funsies.

You lucky sunnofa*****!!

I'm taking a date out to the shooting range this weekend and went to check on the status of the road today. It was pretty nasty, I have a feeling she's going to be near hysterical at a few parts. God, I love my Rover.

davestlouis

Practically Family
You Rover guys have nothing on me, well almost nothing. My 91 Audi 100 quattro has a manually locking rear diff, a Torsen center diff, and a dash button to disable the antilock brakes...it has minimal ground clearance, but has oodles of traction on gravel and wet surfaces.

I don't know how "classic" The MB Gelandewagen is, but I had several customers who bought them for elk hunting in the western US because they are/were the only new US-market vehicles with 3 locking diffs. That was when I worked for a car dealership.

www.plazamotors.com

andy richards

Practically Family
The (91) 100 Audi Quattro is an excellent machine and beginning to become rare. Great for ralley tracks in Scandinavia ;) . Any pics??
I wouldn't mind owning one, but am reluctant to take it to the Atlas Mountains and Sahara... Certainly not a "Safari Vehicle" imho.
The MB- G is a superb off-roader. Lots of armies use them also.
Andy

davestlouis

Practically Family
I saw a car this morning that made me think of this thread and chuckle...a mid-80s Pontiac fullsize station wagon, powder blue with fake wood on it. The only reason it is even remotely relevant to this thread is this...

The model name was "Safari". It was for sale too, but he got away before I could take a picture.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
G wagons are very nice and incredible competent off-roaders. BUT, around here, mostly teenage girls drive them.

So, what have the other Rover owners done for a stereo??? I'm tired of listening to the 2.25.

As for the Audi, I LOVE my '02 MB E320 4Matic Wagon. It is everything a large car should be, peppy enough, incredibly stable and massive.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I don't think MB ever imported any diesel or turbodiesel G-Wagens to the US, but that would be a cool thing to have. Big, heavy son of a gun though, wouldn't be very fast with a diesel in it.

Peugeot cars seem common in Africa, I wonder how the raised-suspension 505 wagons would do in the wilds of Africa? I seem to recall that some were built with 4wd too.

HSISIII, is the yellow W123 Mercedes in one of your pics the engine donor?

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
Ha, I was wondering if anyone would notice that! No, it's actually not the donor. That would be the vehicle that sparked my interest in the engine. The yellow 240d is actually my mother's. It was over for new oil/filters, I do all the maintenance.

I've seen older diesel G wagons on ebay, but I don't think they were US market trucks. We never get any of the fun stuff... :(

NelsAnderson

New in Town
HHISIII said:
So, what have the other Rover owners done for a stereo??? I'm tired of listening to the 2.25.

A stereo in a Series Land Rover? What an odd suggestion!

Reminds me of a caption from a local newspaper one time when my truck appeared in it:

"This old Land Rover, the kind Jane Goodall would have ridden in, is a far cry from the Land Rovers of today. If it had a radio it would have been a short wave radio. Air conditioning consisted of a second roof over the first roof that created an air space and covered vents in the first roof which let hot air out without letting the lions in!"

I wonder if they noticed that it did, in fact, have short wave radio installed in it (another hobby):

ffr7.jpg

The radios are modern but I'm told the speaker is about the same age as the truck. Not all safari's involve hunting...this fellow, in an even older Land Rover, in Africa, is an inspiration:

cq_cover.jpg

weatherm

New in Town
man you are serious. I am jealous. I had a off brand regular radio in my series w/ speakers mounted under the seats... worked out till you went over 50+ :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner