Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Safari vehicles!

andy richards

Practically Family
HHISIII said:
It's a pretty snug fit in the engine compartment of a Series because of the recessed grill. I doubt the 5 cylinder would fit without switching the front end to a stage 1. At that point, you might as well sell it off and buy a grey market Rover 90.

Yes it would be a pretty tight fit, but the grille can be placed more forward if you like.
Andy

andy richards

Practically Family
HHISIII said:
I've seen the write up on this specific transplant floating around the internet. It looks like the only two major issues are the bell housing adaptor and making an adaptor to move the oil filter a bit out of the way.
I've got experience with the Benz engine (I've got an old 240d, that's rolled the odometer and still runs like a top) and it's as close to bulletproof as an engine can get. As a bonus, parts are cheap and fairly readily available.

The MB 240d is a reliabale unit.
About Land Rover diesels: The 2.25 4 cyl diesel is a reliable engine as well, best engins are with the 5 bearing crankshaft (from 1980 and up). They may be sluggish but sure will do the trick. The 2.5normal aspired diesel (non-turbo) has a good reputation as well. Stay away from the old 2.5turbo diesel. Also the 200Tdi and 300Tdi are excellent engines. Maybe small at 2.5 liters, but virtually bulletproof. Can be transplanted in a series I, II and III.
V8 engines were also build in series Land Rovers, these were derivates from the old Buick 8 cyl. Great engine if maintained well. The Td5 engine is a 5 cyl unit, runs nice, but when having trouble in the bush you need a laptop and engine parts, such as injectors are incredibly expensive. The military use only 200Tdi and 300Tdi now, they stay away from all electro gizmoz...

If you want originality and an excellent engine for your series Land Rover a 2.25 petrol or 2.5 petrol is superb.

Andy

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Safari, daily driving, camping.

There is only one...

IMG_0902.jpg

andy richards

Practically Family
Nice pic 57plymouth, I'm into Land Rovers but...just curious, don't know about this model Jeep: Are there any electronics or inboard computer in this Jeep?
Andy

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Yes. It has an OBD I batch fire MPI system with a narrow band O2 sensor. It is very basic and easy to repair. The scan tool is a paper clip. It is easy to repair, and more reliable and efficient than a carb.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
You've never driven or owned a Rolls or Bentley have you? For anything out of warranty, plan on spending the purchase cost in maintenance every 2 years.
For the most part, Ferrari's are cheaper to maintain.

That said, there is nothing that compares to the comfort of a Rolls or higher end Bentley interior. The new Jaguar XJ is pretty comparable to a Continental interior though.

Mike K.

One Too Many
We're beginning to venture off course. Please keep to thread topic - Classic Safari Vehicles - and leave the modern vehicle photos & discussion to other venues (unless making an educational comparison between classic & modern). Thank you kindly!

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
MPicciotto said:
You'd do better to swap that Yuppy Jeep grill out for one from a CJ-7 and get some round head lights back like a Jeep's supposed to have!

Matt

I know. But I have a total of $950 on that Jeep, so I can't complain about the headlights.

At least it has leaf springs.

davestlouis

Practically Family
HISIIII, I have a functional question about the hood-mounted spare tire...does it wiggle and move around and make the hood flex, or is there a really sturdy bracket holding everything together? I've never seen one up close with the spare mounted in that position.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
57plymouth said:
I know. But I have a total of $950 on that Jeep, so I can't complain about the headlights.

At least it has leaf springs.

The YJ has more in common with the Land Rover's in this thread then a TJ. Still as was pointed out, we should be looking at classic safari trucks.

Matt

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
davestlouis said:
HISIIII, I have a functional question about the hood-mounted spare tire...does it wiggle and move around and make the hood flex, or is there a really sturdy bracket holding everything together? I've never seen one up close with the spare mounted in that position.

There is a pretty solid frame-work supporting the hood.
Take a look at this one
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-16611-used-deluxe-bonnet-series-ii-iii.aspx

That said, there's still fair amount of flex to it and it's best to be mindful when opening and closing the hood (mostly closing).

davestlouis

Practically Family
Yep, there's a lot of structure under there. Is the hood/bonnet aluminum? We had to replace a quarter panel on a Defender once, and had all sorts of fun duplicating the row of spot welds visible inside and out...

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
The shell is aluminum (aluminium, whatever) and the framework is very obviously steel. It's one of the rust hot spots on Series trucks.
Thinking about it, I think my bonnet frame is a bit different than that one, but the same principle. They're tough trucks with loads of character. The only real problem with a series truck is also a bit of a blessing. The gearing is so low that coupled with the low revving 2.25 petrol it has a top speed of ~45mph.
Between the Benz diesel transplant and a roverdrive I should be able to nudge that up to a little over 60. Don't really care to go any faster than that with the stock brake setup. The brakes are actually pretty good for all around drums, but they're just not designed for braking from higher speed.

NelsAnderson

New in Town
HHISIII said:
The only real problem with a series truck is also a bit of a blessing. The gearing is so low that coupled with the low revving 2.25 petrol it has a top speed of ~45mph.
Between the Benz diesel transplant and a roverdrive I should be able to nudge that up to a little over 60. Don't really care to go any faster than that with the stock brake setup. The brakes are actually pretty good for all around drums, but they're just not designed for braking from higher speed.

"Top speed of 45" is very conservative. Others without overdrives tell me they do 55 or more. With the overdrive in mine I can do 65 to 70 pretty comfortably assuming the road is flat and smooth. 65 mph is just over 3000 rpm so it's not working the engine that hard.

Not exactly how these vehicles were meant to be used! But today you need to be able to get to the starting point before you can begin your safari :)

weatherm

New in Town
With my Fairly OD on I could go ~63mph but as soon as you hit a hill your back down to 55... average 55-60 with mine... only bad thing is since your in a aluminum beer can your ears are ringing from the sounds of the gears... quieter than a diesel where the conversation test fails when the truck starts lol! sorry I should have put jeeps are not allows unless its a willis :)

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
The original Land Rover was on a Jeep frame. So, does that eliminate Land Rovers as well?

I guess I'll just keep driving my non overdrive, not allowed vehicle at 70 on the interstate. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo