Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic wide leg pants?

Lily Powers

Practically Family
HadleyH said:
I will respectfully disagree with you there :( IMO wide leg pants dont work well on all body types, wide leg pants look terrific on tall slim ladies, ladies with long legs. May be I'm wrong...i don't know... they look amazing on the catwalk for instance (6 foot high models :eek: ) ... High waisted pants on the other hand, are easier to wear but i don't like them with a very wide leg...
I suppose it's all a matter of perception [huh]

You have a point. I think shorter gals or curvier gals can pull it off with a fitted top - nothing baggy or untucked on top.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Just thought I should mention that I checked the Liz Claiborne website to see what Isaac Mizrahi had revamped. He had a few hits and misses,but the hits are worthy.
1 pair of high waisted wide legs in white.($79,not Target prices,but not bad) Didn't think to check if they had other colors available.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Lily Powers said:
You have a point. I think shorter gals or curvier gals can pull it off with a fitted top - nothing baggy or untucked on top.

Yes, exactly,a fitted top and also i would add a pair of high heel shoes. As a rule of thumb, not too wide legged and not too high waisted looks better!
I personally think this looks very nice:

victoriassecret110107.jpg

Emer

One of the Regulars
HadleyH said:
Yes kamikat, I understand what you are saying and i do agree with you. I think that the high waisted/wide legged argument should be taken case by case according to body variations. It's just that i dont agree with the stament that "they work on all body types" because honestly, nothing short of a tent would work on all body types.
These are just my just thoughts of course and by no means universal conlusions on the matter. :)

I agree with both of you! I have a short torso and I've noticed that high waist anything makes me look all boob too! I had a major fashion boo-boo with a high waist skirt that I don't think I'll be repeating! lol Now wide leg, yes! Love those!

Inky

One Too Many
Denim Trousers received!

Inky said:
I finally caved in after receiving my tax refund and use a bit of it to buy the Vivien of Holloway 40's style jeans.
3292554815_cff1522674.jpg

I hope they fit - I've had terrible luck lately!

I received the Vivien Of Holloway denim trousers over the weekend. Great news is that they fit. I wear a modern 14 in jeans and ordered the 36 waist. I am 5'4" and wearing the Re-Mix platform Gilda's in this shot. They are, of course, way long and I rolled them up twice for this modeling shot, but actually plan to possibly cuff them, I am not sure yet. I have to decide what shoes I would most likely wear them with.

3322959797_b8f6a1280b.jpg

3323796484_a06f64724c.jpg

The denim itself is lightweight, surprisingly so actually, and shinier than I would like. I was expecting a traditional denim weight, but these are VERY comfy and I will get a lot of wear out of them. On the downside, to keep them dark I will need to handwash or dryclean them.

shepkatt

Familiar Face
I bought those jeans from Vivien of Holloway and I love them.. I then broke down and bought some of the green trousers. I don't mind the white buttons on the jeans but am not crazy about them on the green trousers so I bought new buttons and once I replace the white ones with those I should be all set.

Inky

One Too Many
Shepkatt - how do they wash up or do you dry clean them? I am thinking of ordering the suspender skirt next and definitely some trousers now that I know they fit so well, but for next fall :)

RebeccaMUA
- thank you for the compliment! And they do remind me of a 60's sharkskin suit with the shine!

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
Shepkatt - how do they wash up or do you dry clean them? I am thinking of ordering the suspender skirt next and definitely some trousers now that I know they fit so well, but for next fall :)

RebeccaMUA
- thank you for the compliment! And they do remind me of a 60's sharkskin suit with the shine!

Haha I actually have a modern sharkskin suit and that's exactly what it reminded me of!

Inky

One Too Many
Hi Lily!

They don't have a content label, but Vivien of Holloway told me to hand wash or dry clean only. They have a denim color, and are stiff enough to have body, shape, and good drape. They have that smooth finish, but not denim as we'd think of (not at all rough like Levi's). There is no stretch at all.

I wore them yesterday and they were very comfy all day and not too hot. What I really love about the fit is that it is perfect through my waist and even gives me a nice backside profile. The legs are very wide and the tummy area is slightly pleated, disguising my pooch. There is one small front flat pocket, useless really. But I don't think trousers like this should have any pocket at all so i'm good with that.

More of the trousers are on my wish list! Or I may get ambitious now that I have a pair with good fit and try making my own.

Inky

One Too Many
Jeans for sale

Well ladies, just in case no one looks over in the Classifieds, my beloved Vivien of Holloway jeans are for sale.

I bought a size smaller :)

I think some of you know, but I had gastric bypass surgery almost two years ago and after being the same size for the past six months and thinking it was safe to buy jeans, I lost a bunch in the past month (yay me) and the 36 waist were just a bit too loose, so off they go and i am happily in a slightly smaller size.

my actual loss could be your denim gain :) 36 waist/48 hip, $60 free shipping to the US (pm me if you are international for shipping arrangements).

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Inky said:
Well ladies, just in case no one looks over in the Classifieds, my beloved Vivien of Holloway jeans are for sale.

I think some of you know, but I had gastric bypass surgery almost two years ago and after being the same size for the past six months and thinking it was safe to buy jeans, I lost a bunch in the past month (yay me) and the 36 waist were just a bit too loose, so off they go and i am happily in a slightly smaller size.

my actual loss could be your denim gain :) 36 waist/48 hip, $60 free shipping to the US (pm me if you are international for shipping arrangements).
PM sent!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Matt I looked on the Gallery page,

but didn't see them. Page link please? What pants are they, and where did you find them?

Matt Deckard said:
We pulled a few wide leeged trousers to be shown in the photo shoot for Issue 3 of Classic Style... Pretty Hepburn.

shepkatt

Familiar Face
Inky said:

Hey Inky - I am sorry I didn't see your question to me until now.. I dry clean them.. I had gastric bypass surgery as well and although it has been 6 years and I have maintained my loss I am still terrified of things 'shrinking' in the dryer.. :) And these jeans/pants fit me perfectly just as they are right now.. Glad to hear you had to order a smaller size.. It gets expensive but it is soo soo worth it!

I also ordered a pair of the green pants.. I don't like them as much as the jeans style but I will give them a chance. They come with the white plastic buttons so I replaced the buttons with some that look more vintage. Now that I have done that I will put together some outfits and see what I have..

Inky

One Too Many
Thanks Shepkatt! I got my smaller size and hemmed them this weekend so I think dry cleaning is the safe bet too! I hope you will post pictures of the green pants - I think i want to order more from Vivien - maybe a suspender skirt, so cute!

Here's me in a pair of modern wide legged trousers. These have a fake sailor front with pockets and multiple buttons, left-side zip and a tab thing in the back like men's pants. I ended up cuffing these with a 1 and 3/4 inch cuff. They are poly/rayon and so comfy - purchase at the Dress Barn outlet near my home.

3405058972_2bd627cb6a.jpg

I love wearing trousers - I feel so Kate Hepburn!

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
I just got these from Newport-News. Hopefully they fit alright. I feel bad buying new clothes because I'm trying to lose weight. I know that's a bad mentality to have, but at the same time, the potential waste of money bothers me.

Hollywood waist pants

shepkatt

Familiar Face
Inky said:
Thanks Shepkatt! I got my smaller size and hemmed them this weekend so I think dry cleaning is the safe bet too! I hope you will post pictures of the green pants - I think i want to order more from Vivien - maybe a suspender skirt, so cute!

Here's me in a pair of modern wide legged trousers. These have a fake sailor front with pockets and multiple buttons, left-side zip and a tab thing in the back like men's pants. I ended up cuffing these with a 1 and 3/4 inch cuff. They are poly/rayon and so comfy - purchase at the Dress Barn outlet near my home.

3405058972_2bd627cb6a.jpg

I love wearing trousers - I feel so Kate Hepburn!

Wow! Check you out.. Your face has changed so much, even from your current avatar.. Balboa Rendezvous is this weekend. 4 days and nights of dressing 30s and 40s.. YEAH! I will see if I can put together an outfit with the green pants and will post any pics of me in them..

shepkatt

Familiar Face
StaceFace said:
I just got these from Newport-News. Hopefully they fit alright. I feel bad buying new clothes because I'm trying to lose weight. I know that's a bad mentality to have, but at the same time, the potential waste of money bothers me.

Hollywood waist pants

Ooooh.. I like those..and they are on sale! EEEEEK... more spending!

Inky

One Too Many
shepkatt said:
Wow! Check you out.. Your face has changed so much, even from your current avatar.. Balboa Rendezvous is this weekend. 4 days and nights of dressing 30s and 40s.. YEAH! I will see if I can put together an outfit with the green pants and will post any pics of me in them..

Awww, thanks so much, Shepkatt! I feel pretty good these days, with my two year :eek:fftopic: anniversary coming up April 26th.

Have fun at Balboa - I envy you - post pics!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy