Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fashion history from Grandma

palespider

One of the Regulars
I wrote my grandmother asking what women wore during the colder months during the 40's and 50's and how in fashion where pants and what they looked like.. her responce :

"
For a smooth body – I prefer spandex blends. (lighter/less structured/no boning). Usually find them on ebay – not real expensive. Just search for body shapers.

20s – most known for the Roaring 20s flapper look (short, beaded shift style dresses/often with fringe to show off

dancing the popular Charleston at parties. Long luxurious fabric gowns. Big evening coats – often fur. Day wear was

print dresses or solids with neck and dropped waist bows mostly.

Women wearing pants (slacks) came on the fashion scene when Marlene Dietrich donned a tuxedo in the movie

Morocco (1930). It caused a big stir because she was a glamour girl… ala Jean Harlow. In the 30s actress Katherine Hepburn insisted on wearing slacks on the studio lot. Gradually it caught on and became acceptable for leisure only – along with riding pants. Long flowing – loose straight legged slacks matched up with blouses/sweaters. The look

In the 30s – long-skirted fitted suits (often fur trimmed and nearly always worn with large brimmed/feather hats or small

Cloches (a hold over from the flapper look of the roaring 20s), print dresses (house dresses and Sunday church dresses, slinky & clinging evening gowns (Jean Harlow was most famous for ramping up this look. Check out movie “Dinner at Eight”

- the look of the 30s (since the US was in a deep depression – Hollywood played up the rich and glamorous look in films

as escapism. People flocked to the films – to see “how the other half lives”. Platinum blondes – Harlow look alikes were

all the rage. Coco Chanel was unique in that she wore pants with sweaters in Paris while designing high fashion gowns.

40s – WWII ushered in pants (Rosie the Riveter – war poster featured her working in overalls). The real style of the 40s

was epitomized in movies with June Crawford in her films – big shoulder-padded tailor suits (what would be called power suits today). Slacks became more acceptable for a time but outside of a plant/factory were not considered ladylike.

50s – after the war women wore starched dresses. Perfect stay at home moms – perfectly dressed and always with

perfect meals. (Hardly reality – but sold by Madison Avenue and appliance mfgs. Women were entering the work force.

Despite the perfect image – reality said it was going to take 2 paychecks to live the American dream. But, for half a decade the homemaker was the ideal. Full skirts with cinched belts (often wide elastic) – lots of crinoline

under skirts (the felt poodle skirt was everywhere) to make the skirts puff out. The other 50s look was a straight slim

skirt with cashmere sweater sets and Capezio flats. Late 50s – wearing jeans/mens oversized shirts hanging out and

penny loafers were casual dress for teens. The sheath dress was a must for day and evening well into the 1960s. Lots of pastels.

60s – Mod came to Ameirca.. London was THE place for fashion ,, Mary Quant.. Carnaby Street… Twiggy/Beatles/…Chanel’s bolero jacketed suits with signature Gold chains… Cuir Savage (leather) hit big – mini and midi skirts/boots – white ruffled shirts. Then also came the Hippies ( lots of back to nature – Bohemian long ankle length dresses/skirts/flared pants/psychedelic colors (Pucci prints in tunics/blouses and dresses. Rustic loose woven natural weaves. Tie dyes were in (Grateful Dead). Jackie O –(Kennedy) the First Lady - wore the pink fitted coats over the matching dress with the pillbox hat. Valentino and Oleg Cassini were her favorites. Yves St. Laurent ruled the high fashion

Scene (he was the Armani of his day) 60s were the most fun – could change look with moods. Boho shirts are still in. Anything goes attitude.

Winter – fabrics shifted to wools and acrylic blends. Coats – all lengths and styles were winter wear. Lilly Ann with their huge line of suits and coats were very popular (often fur trimmed) Capes long and short. Fur coats and stoles were “in” in nearly all decades up until the PETA crowd became so vocal. Nearly killed the fur industry. I still wear my fox jacket. Nothing warmer to wear than a good fur jacket.

Well – that’s your fashion history for today.

Gran"
thought some of you might be interested in this little history lesson i just got. lol

Redhead

New in Town
palespider said:
Well – that’s your fashion history for today.
Gran"
thought some of you might be interested in this little history lesson i just got. lol

That's great, thanks for sharing!

My grandmother (who was a war bride) told me that since she was a redhead that she wasn't supposed to wear colored clothing since it was supposed to clash too much. Once that rule was "broken" in the 50s she wore red all the time.

She worked as a nurse from the 19400s to the 1980s and her stories about the uniforms are great. When she worked as a school nurse, everyone wore skirts and she was tired of it and wanted to wear pants. She and the other ladies made a pact to all come to work in pants on a set date and my grandmother went home and made herself a two piece suit to wear. When the day came, she was the only wearing pants. She said they were too chicken.

Just thought I'd share some of my grandma's lengthy fashion history too.;)

Regards,
Chandra

just_me

Practically Family
Thanks for posting your Grandma's fashion history. I really enjoyed reading it. My mother did wear pants in the 40s. (She also worked all through the 50s.) Maybe that's where I got my rebelliousness (I was a hippie in the 60s)

bob-mom-honeymoon.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21