Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic wide leg pants?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Ladies where have you had the best luck finding nice wide leg pants?Preferably new and in a store. I've seen some that look like they'll be perfect,but once they're on the look is more 70s than 40s.
I'd like some for work once spring hits to wear with little puff sleeve blouses and wedges just as an alternative from my usual skirt or dress ensembles.
I have 1 authentic gab pair from the 40s in a lovely pumpkin color that I need to get re-seamed and some alterations done,but finding the originals is very difficult.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Miss Neecerie said:
I like Ann Taylor loft.

I make no guarantees to -how- authentic vintage looking they are...but they have several 'models' that are real waist wasted...and wide legged.

Yeah, Ann Taylor Loft is good. Go to the store and try the pants on. Then, order them from their website when they're marked down. I've purchased very vintage-looking sailor pants for $29 as opposed to $89 in the store.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
fake-o pants

I don't know if this helps or not, but I get my swing dance wide leg sailor pants from www.dancestore.com and I absolutely love them. Click on the side for "women's clothing." They're not vintage, but they sure look sharp on the dancefloor when dressed up vintage style! I'm interested to see what else is out there--they create such an elegant shape!

GOK

One Too Many
Those sailor pants are great - shame they are low rise though. However, I'm sorely tempted, especially as they'd be long enough for me! Thanks for the link TBMJ.

Avalon

A-List Customer
I have those pants from Metrostyle and they are terrific! Their sizing is very true and their clothing is made extremely well. I second the recommendation! ;)

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Vivien of Holloway makes nice 1940s repros.

http://www.vivienofholloway.com/

She's a bit slow at shipping, but I like the trousers. They're certainly not the finest quality, but they're not the low rise, stretch fabric cheapos you find on a lot of the rockabilly and swing dance stores, either. If you get them I would order up a size and have them altered, because the sizes are a bit strange.

I also saw a pair of super wide-legged trousers in the Anthropologie catalog, but I'm not sure how high the waist is.

Elaina

One Too Many
Muwhaha, I can wear low rise pants AND make them look normal, even with recreating a waist in a different spot then where my waist really IS.

I've only got 5 inches between my natural waist and my hips...all the "low rise" just fits where normal pants are supposed to. But the 40's look is underbust, so it may not be that good.

GOK

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
The Viv of Holloway trousers are also very very short. At least 3-4 inches too short for me, but my inside leg is 33-34ish.

According to some of my clients, she is very reluctant to actually make garments to fit too. It seems that as far as she is concerned, you buy off the peg and take your chance. I've not had any dealings with her but if this is true, frankly, I think it is the wrong attitude. But then perhaps that's why some of her (former) clients now come to me! :D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
GOK said:
According to some of my clients, she is very reluctant to actually make garments to fit too. It seems that as far as she is concerned, you buy off the peg and take your chance. I've not had any dealings with her but if this is true, frankly, I think it is the wrong attitude. But then perhaps that's why some of her (former) clients now come to me! :D

I emailed her about a year abo to ask that very question, and she replied saying that she would make them to order, but that she couldn't give me any clue as to how long they would take. She suggested me sending in a cheque and that when she next did a special order she would "try to fit it in" and that my cheque wouldn't be cashed until they were done. So I didn't bother! I have found another person who makes the same trousers now. How much would you charge for such a pair of pants Gok, just out of interest? (Will PM you if you'd prefer!)

GOK

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
I emailed her about a year abo to ask that very question, and she replied saying that she would make them to order, but that she couldn't give me any clue as to how long they would take. She suggested me sending in a cheque and that when she next did a special order she would "try to fit it in" and that my cheque wouldn't be cashed until they were done. So I didn't bother!

My goodness, that is outrageous! I don't want to belittle her but an attitude like that is so unprofessional. If she'd advised that the waiting list was x amount of weeks, that would have been better but to basically say she'd do it when she got around to it, stinks. And to suggest you paid up front too? A deposit I can understand but even then, one has to give the client an idea of how long s/he can expect to wait. I am so shocked.

I have found another person who makes the same trousers now.

Oohh who is that? Are they UK based? I saw a girl on Ebay in the States that makes sailor style pants, which look nice but obviously I don't know what the quality is like and rather annoyingly, I don't know her seller name either. Not much help am I really?

How much would you charge for such a pair of pants Gok, just out of interest? (Will PM you if you'd prefer!)

Generally speaking, £50 unless the client wants a hugely expensive fabric, in which case, they'd be more! I know they are more expensive than Viv's but I do take my clients' measurements into consideration and I'm always happy for them to come to me for fittings. I even arrange to meet them in London if I am going to be there anyway! I do believe that client and maker should work together, not that the sempstress is always right! I want my clients to be very satisfied...then recommend me to their friends! lol

Bartenders - if that last paragraph breaches the etiquette of the Lounge, I apologise. Please remove it if necessary.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
GOK said:
Oohh who is that? Are they UK based? I saw a girl on Ebay in the States that makes sailor style pants, which look nice but obviously I don't know what the quality is like and rather annoyingly, I don't know her seller name either. Not much help am I really?

It's a girl called Shona (from NZ but here now) whose website http://pinstripeandpolka.com/ is not really very informative yet, but hers are well made and nice and long too. She will hem them to whatever length you like with either a turnup or a normal hem. Hers are also £50 to order, but I'm kicking myself for not buying a pair when I met her because it's £45 if you buy them from a show/event. But saying that she told me that she thought the ones I tried on could be improved upon, size-wise, so the ones I am getting are adapted a bit. So it seems the best people to buy from are those who actually care what their customers look like when wearing their clothes!! Gok I might well have to arrange another pair with you (when Xmas buying is out of the way!) because I just know they would be wonderful.

GOK

One Too Many
Ahh yes, I'm familiar with Shona's stuff - I love that brown frock. The other website is...interesting! Still I can talk - I still haven't got either of mine done yet. Still, I have a guy in the States to design my retro one - I just need to get some time to go through what I want with him! Why aren't there more hours in the day?

Oh and if you're wondering, I have my laptop in my atelier, so I can just wheel my chair over when needs be! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy