Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clayton veg-tanned horse hide

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Simmons Bilt Clothing Company are proud to announce their association the guys at Joseph Clayton & Sons. A UK tannery established in 1840 and recognised experts within the tanning industry we have been working with them to develop some exceptional veg tanned horsehide leathers to compliment the leathers we currently stock.

The quality of these UK produced horsehides are fantastic, around 1-1.2mm in thickness with a softer hand, perfect for those who are looking for a lighter weight jacket with uncompromising high quality that we insist on at the Simmons Bilt Clothing Company.

Clayton horsehide leathers are fully vegetable tanned using a combination of various plant based tannins extracted from predominantly tree barks sourced from sustainable forestation. The tannin process takes approximately 4 months with the tannage itself taking the bulk of this time and a pit tanning process of 10 weeks.The subsequent processes to colour, oil and work the leather to the correct thickness and finish is a further 4 weeks. Part of the process is a hot drum stuffing whereby the leather is impregnated with natural oils and fats to give softening properties but this also has benefits in tensile strength and water repellence.

Final 'wet' operations are to strip back the surface oils by washing with soaps to give a dry surface feel that can be further finished to give uniform colour and appearance.

Leathers (2), (3), (4) are semi-aniline with the vintage leather (1) being fully aniline.

We look forward to working with Claytons to further develop more great UK produced leathers

devilish

A-List Customer
"a hot drum stuffing" Ooh er misses, sounds a bit rude! I hope they at least bought it dinner and drinks first? This kind of marketing hyperbole is getting so f****ing old now. Would be refreshing just to have someone say, "we have a new leather. It's nice". Haha!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
"a hot drum stuffing" Ooh er misses, sounds a bit rude! I hope they at least bought it dinner and drinks first? This kind of marketing hyperbole is getting so f****ing old now. Would be refreshing just to have someone say, "we have a new leather. It's nice". Haha!

That type of marketing is the same thing that Horween does. Apparently, that is the way leather is "defined":

http://horween.com/leathers/chromexcel/

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

Horween's got a long line of drums thrumming away. It reminds of that episode of Mad Men, where Lucky Strike are trying to restore their sales after it's found cigarettes are bad for you. John Draper tells them to emphasise that the tobacco in their coffin nails is 'toasted', even though every producer does the same thing. The main difference is that 'they're first', and so the moment a competitor says 'but what about us?', they're an imitator.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's useful to know when understanding what oil pull is, but even then I don't think it means much outside these obsessive circles...

Basic stuff is okay, like properties of a certain leather and if it's been weatherproofed or not, but knowing whether the drum has been heated prior to... Whatever's going on at the tannery, is really pointless for just about anyone outside that tannery. And even in the obsessive circles such as this one, much misinformation has been shared exactly because someone read something technical like that but didn't quite understand what it means.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Basic stuff is okay, like properties of a certain leather and if it's been weatherproofed or not, but knowing whether the drum has been heated prior to... Whatever's going on at the tannery, is really pointless for just about anyone outside that tannery. And even in the obsessive circles such as this one, much misinformation has been shared exactly because someone read something technical like that but didn't quite understand what it means.

Absolutely! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, as they say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ