Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning a white linen suit...

Marc Chevalier said:
True, and a soak in water can greatly hasten the disintegration.

Not disputing this, but how come? Is it because the water and whatever cleaning agents (and chemicals introduced by your local utility) are in it carry away the fiber in those disintegrating threads, and thereby further weaken them?

I'm assuming that "dry rot" is, in this context, a vernacular expression and something of a misnomer, much as it is when used in reference to wood. Old boats and such are said to have "dry rot" when in actuality water had everything to do with the disintegration. Nothing "dry" about it. In the case of fabric, I'm wondering if what we're dealing with is actually"rot" (by the first definition, meaning decomposition caused by bacteria or fungi) or some other type of deterioration. I don't know either way, but perhaps we have someone on board who does?

And ... what, if anything (within reason) might be done to stave off this "rot"? Or is it that we just gotta accept that fabric will eventually fall apart?

mike said:
Just so you know, a quick visit to the tailors and no one was any the wiser about my little "sky is falling" event the other day and so far.... so good! :)

Did the tailor express any opinion as to the integrity of that old fabric?

Maybe I should consult these folks ...

http://www.textilepreservation.com/

I recall an episode of Antiques Roadshow FYI showing some textile cleaning work in a shop (more like a lab, really) at Colonial Williamsburg. A large blanket (quilt?) was cleaned in water (deionized, I believe) in what might be described as a metal table with sides several inches tall, to contain the water. A test for colorfastness was shown, but they made no mention of what (if any) measures were taken to determine the integrity of the fabric prior to the cleaning.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! Yes it is a different suit. That one was a bit too small on me. My mindset is I'm not trying to horde as much as possible but switch things out if and when I can for items that personally fit better or are more interesting or regularly wearable. In this case, like I said, it was really a 38 and I'm a 40 sadly.
I like to find stuff that could have been worn to film premieres of my favorite silent/golden era movies. I realize that's a stretch, but it still feels good airing something that was on my mind for awhile lol
As a side note, it turns out the guy that bought this suit is the guy that owns and operates the e-workers site in Japan, custom making golden era work wear! And I just bought a shirt he made that looks like a dead ringer for the polka dot shirt Lon Chaney, Sr. wore in his role as a train engineer in the film, Thunder from 1930! Small world! :)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I rushed downtown yesterday to drop of my Linen suit for cleaning, it had obtained a grease mark on the bottom of each leg?, from a recent excursion. I went to the best Dry Cleaners in Town they asked If I was a regular customer, I said "No" and she said "Oh you look like you one of ours!" she entered all my details on a new customer card, at one point I thought she was going to ask for a referral from a GP!! anyway, upshot is they will except me as a new client, it will cost $34.00 and be ready on 6/1/10, bit disappointing as I usually demand same day service!, but the assistant warned me against having it ruined by "Inferior" Dry Cleaning Shops, hey I Panicked, and now I have nothing to wear!"

dr greg

One Too Many
first date

Orgetorix said:
^It's going to take them over five months to clean a suit? :eek:
Not at all, you see, Americans write their dates utterly and completely WRONG!
That date is the 6th of January, which is a reasonable turnaround in the holiday season I would say,
I think Ben Franklin changed the way dates are written over there to differentiate from the original and OBVIOUSLY SUPERIOR :p English way, much in the spirit of considering making German your official language, which was an idea floated around the same time I believe!
We remain true to the ancient and noble form in this country !
1776?
Get over it!
:)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Yeah but if you said 11/9 Greg no one would know what you meant![huh]

Orgetorix said:
^It's going to take them over five months to clean a suit? :eek:

Classic "only in America" mistake...

DSCN0385.jpg

This is the lapel I want...pure 1930s ...like my avatar

cptjeff

Practically Family
dr greg said:
Not at all, you see, Americans write their dates utterly and completely WRONG!
That date is the 6th of January, which is a reasonable turnaround in the holiday season I would say,
I think Ben Franklin changed the way dates are written over there to differentiate from the original and OBVIOUSLY SUPERIOR :p English way, much in the spirit of considering making German your official language, which was an idea floated around the same time I believe!
We remain true to the ancient and noble form in this country !
1776?
Get over it!
:)

The german thing is an urban legend, but the date thing is quite true. Also the reason we drive on the right side of the road.

As for which way is superior, who surrendered to who at Yorktown?

dr greg

One Too Many
how u look at it

cptjeff said:
The german thing is an urban legend, but the date thing is quite true. Also the reason we drive on the right side of the road.

As for which way is superior, who surrendered to who at Yorktown?
Didn't the French fleet have something to do with it?
(Been watching the John Adams HBO thing)
At the time most of our ancestors were on prison hulks waiting to be hanged for stealing snotrags......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran