Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning a white linen suit...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
It's possible! I am really amazed at the results. Although, I thought the stain lifting really jumped; 8-12 hours into the process with not much change and then low and behold 24 hours into the process and I've got a sparkling new suit! All I've used is "oxygen clean" or whatever the knock off rite aid brand is calling itself. I think it's already in wearable condition, but I might do another soak or two before wearing it out.

What are you considering soaking?

I have seen the same effect when my wife has soakd shirts for days in Napisan - a version of Oxyclean.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Another Testimonial for Oxyclean

I recently acquired two pairs of 20s-30s white linen plus fours that were in great condition but had lots of little spots of rust stains or foxing. I wet the all spots with a mixture of lemon juice and cream of tartar (potassium bitartrate) and let it sit all day, then soaked them for 18 hours in generic oxyclean. They came out sparkling white with nary a trace of the rust stains and no harm to the linen.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Soooo here's the suit, after being fully cleaned and tailored. I went to these two great old italian tailors. They really did a bang up job - they even fixed the shredding inside collar area for free! They said, if I was going to a wedding, they couldn't have me looking like a bum...! haha

Meanwhile, I tried on the suit tonight after getting it back. My plan was to wear allen edmonds broadstreet black and white spectators, a brooks brothers club collar shirt, an unlined vintage blue/white/black tie and a blue & green Chicago World's Fair handkerchief. Doesn't look too shabby in my opinion. I wore it all for the pictures, took it all off. And then noticed somewhere in the process of barely moving at all, I somehow ripped the left outer sleeve of the jacket...! Not much, but in a highly visible area. I'm going to take it back to the tailors tomorrow morning and see if they can rush job.. jeez I dunno some sort of miracle! I don't know if it's even feasible, but we'll see. After all these time consuming processes. Well atleast I tried. And I have my health lol

Anyway, whaddayathink of the color combination if I do wind up going to the wedding in all o'this? be gentle. color blind and fancy free :)

DSCN0385.jpg

DSCN0378.jpg

DSCN0387.jpg

DSCN0382.jpg

DSCN0377.jpg
[/IMG]

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hey Mike , this suit looks like a million bucks, and so do you in it!! The shirt, shoes, tie, pocket scarf and HAT look super with it! AS to the torn sleeve, see if the tailor(s) can also let the sleeve seam allowance out on that seam a little to give you some movement room. AND possibly the same on the opposite sleeve too.

mike said:
Soooo here's the suit, after being fully cleaned and tailored. I went to these two great old italian tailors.
Anyway, whaddayathink of the color combination if I do wind up going to the wedding in all o'this? be gentle. color blind and fancy free :)

DSCN0385.jpg

DSCN0378.jpg

DSCN0387.jpg

DSCN0382.jpg

DSCN0377.jpg
[/IMG]

mike

Call Me a Cab
Slim Portly said:
Spectacular! Never wear that pocket square around me. I'll slip a Mickey Finn in your drink and you'll never see either of us again.

Hey Slim, make some room in your mailbox! ;)

mike

Call Me a Cab
Thank you everyone for your comments! I brought the jacket back to the tailors and they are adding some fusing underneath the rip to hopefully save it from further damage. The rip is only about a 1/4" long and not at a seam but rather it would appear due to a general weakness in the fabric. I have visions of coming back from this wedding in rags... well, it might be an eventful evening! lol

Due to the rip and fearing further damages, I don't imagine this as my default summer suit that I once hoped it would be. :(

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
And therein lies the risk when you put on a very old cotton, linen, silk, or Palm Beach Cloth garment: dry rot. Unfortunately, it's undetectable to the naked eye -- until the ripping or shredding begin.

I've also found that water can hasten such deterioration, so be careful with those Oxyclean soaks ...

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
I've also found that water can hasten such deterioration, so be careful with those Oxyclean soaks ...

Oye! Now you tell me :eek:

I'm considering taking the money from that button up leather jacket I sold and going for a Deckard suit as a default summer suit for myself due to fear of ruining this original one :eusa_doh:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Very interesting to hear this Marc. Thanks for the information. I bought a vintage 20s silk slip years ago that I put it in the tub with baby shampoo to wash it. It literally shredded apart in my hands as I took it out of the water...

Marc Chevalier said:
And therein lies the risk when you put on a very old cotton, linen, silk, or Palm Beach Cloth garment: dry rot. Unfortunately, it's undetectable to the naked eye -- until the ripping or shredding begin.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Dude, I told this in detail about two years ago, in a nearly identical thread. I've since given up being a lone voice in the "Oxyclean solves everything" din.

Dry rot has happened to me with not one, but two '30s Palm Beach suits. :(

Heartbreaking indeed! In my case, I wasn't clear that this was the reason behind the rip, but knowing this has happened to others certainly leads on to believe that dry rot is the culprit. I think I remember reading your post on that some time ago. On the other hand, what other option is available to get rid of stains apart from dry cleaning? If I didn't attempt this process, there may have been no hope for this suit from the start...?

Feraud

Bartender
mike said:
I'm considering taking the money from that button up leather jacket I sold and going for a Deckard suit as a default summer suit for myself due to fear of ruining this original one :eusa_doh:
That might not be a bad idea to have a copy made.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Basically, if your item has dry rot, it's unwearable. It will start to disinegrate soon as you wear it. Unfortunately, you might not find out till you are wearing it, if that's the case.

If your item is strong and made of cotton or linen, then Oxiclean or similar will be fine. Otherwise, you've just got an item you can't use. [huh]

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
True, and a soak in water can greatly hasten the disintegration.

Just so you know, a quick visit to the tailors and no one was any the wiser about my little "sky is falling" event the other day and so far.... so good! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran