Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning satin lining

gtdean48 said:
Thanks Rusty & Tony. Just get a bucket on naptha, rubber gloves & dunk it?
Will try the cool water & mild soap first, naptha route next...

Don't dunk the entire hat in water, though, unless you expect to reblock it, which, done "correctly," would involve taking the hat apart and putting the body on a block. (Just makin' sure, you know.)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
You're welcome, Dean - but my point was to actually caution against its use since I've found out how it can destroy the printing. I got lucky with it once or twice. Got unlucky once (as have others). And one time I knew it was going to dissolve part of a logo but did it anyway because that liner was soooo nasty.

G'luck!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
To those of you who have submerged a hat in naphtha, white gasoline, or whatever -

How long does it take for a hat cleaned in this manner to loose the odor of the solvent?

EricH

One of the Regulars
I've had good luck with water and woolite(or equivalent). I do them in a bowl with gentle hand agitation, no wringing or scrubbing. Usually does the trick. My one experiment with Oxyclean resulted in a half dissolved liner (rayon is a tricky material to clean)

Eric

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I would echo EricH's thoughts. I have had very good results gently agitating a liner in cold water with a gentle fabric cleaner (like Woolite). Then hang to dry...

Cheers,
JtL

seed

Familiar Face
Stupid question warning (but here goes): After you gently hand-wash with Wool-Lite, you rinse...Right? Do you recommend distilled water?

Not so stupid question: Do you glue the liner back in or sew it? If you glue it, what glue do you use and how do you do it? Same question for sewing. Can anyone provide some useful tips on how to do either properly?

seed said:
Stupid question warning (but here goes): After you gently hand-wash with Wool-Lite, you rinse...Right? Do you recommend distilled water?

Not so stupid question: Do you glue the liner back in or sew it? If you glue it, what glue do you use and how do you do it? Same question for sewing. Can anyone provide some useful tips on how to do either properly?

Whatever you do, and however it came in the hat, sew the hat liner back in. Glueing in the liner is problematic when you got to clean it again. Removing it without taking some of the felt with it is nearly impossible. :(
How to do it something someone else is going to have to help with. [huh]

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I would simply add that, depending on the particluar lid and liner, it is quite possible to put the liner back in without sewing it or gluing it -- and it will stay in just fine...

Cheers,
JtL

seed

Familiar Face
Excellent advice...and I will follow it: no glue. I will just leave it loose in place. But since I have your attention, just out of curiosity: can someone demonstrate how to sew it in?...with pictorial, possibly? Not that I will be doing it this go around, but I would one day like to down the road with whatever.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Okay, my turn for a few stupid questions, but I'm new to DIY and I have my first vintage eBay purchase on the way. I'm looking forward to taking a shot at this.

1. What is naptha? Where do I buy it?

2. Can someone point me in the direction of some good DIY threads? I've used the search function and can't find any, which, I'm sure, is due to user error. I'm looking for some good instructions on how to bash a hat, how to do a pinch properly, how to clean, etc.

Thanks

Liner cleaning update...

I used cold water & some All with Stain Lifter that is stated gentle for baby clothes. I couldn't find the f'ing Woolite but my wife walked right to it after I had already started...anyways, the 2 liners look much better, not pristine but one was in bad shape. One is a black Stetson Gun Club liner, the other a modern OR liner. Thanks for all the tips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24