Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning satin lining

viclip

Practically Family
I've considered using a sheet of cellophane food wrap to protect the liner, tucked in place behind the sweat. Sort of a liner over the liner & replaceable for pennies with minimal effort.

Sounds good in theory. Has anyone tried this?

I've become my own guinea pig, I'm afraid.

Having recently taken delivery from Delmonico's of a Stetson Royal Open Road in Silverbelly, it is a bit large as expected. I had specified 7-3/4 rather than my usual 7-5/8 on the basis that other of my modern Stetsons have shrunk down to conform to my head, plus if I ever grow my hair back then my size 7-5/8 hats will all be too small, a horrible thought.

As an aside, this hat arrived with a "Long Oval" tag affixed to the sweat. I didn't specify that & actually had no idea that Long Ovals were even available.

Anyways the underside of the crown, with its nice white liner & gold-embossed Stetson logo, makes contact with my bald pate. To avoid soiling the liner I tried out my cellophane food wrap suggestion as reproduced above. Unfortunately the food wrap tended to cling to my head, apparently it wasn't engineered to be able to distinguish my noggin from a big hunk of salami. I didn't relish the thought of doffing my hat in public only to expose a sheet of food wrap clinging to my melon, hardly stylish. I also found that the cellophane food wrap lacked sufficient body to remain proud against the liner when tucked into the sweat i.e. it would sag.

Recalling that I'd seen some sort of plastic sheeting hanging in the aisle at the local Walmart, today I finally got around to fine-tuning my idea of a makeshift plastic liner to protect the native liner. The plastic sheets in question were found in the sewing/knitting/crafts area & are labeled "Ready Cut Vinyl". I bought a package of the medium weight, they were out of the light weight & the heavy & super-heavy weights seemed a bit of overkill for my intended purpose of a hat liner protector. The medium weight incidentally consists of a sheet 118 by 54 inches, nicely packaged to conserve space.

Upon my return from Walmart, using the hat's brim as a guide I cut out a corresponding vinyl piece. I had to trim it down a few times until it fit fairly well inside the crown, abutting the liner, with sufficient extra to be sandwiched between the sweat & the body of the hat.

I'm pleased to report that the vinyl is doing the job. It's robust enough to retain the requisite dome-like shape. It doesn't appreciably stick to the top of my head; now that I think about it, I have fond memories of sliding all over the vinyl seat covers used by my father & my uncle back in the 1950s & '60s to protect the upholstery in their cars against any peril to & including nuclear war with the commies.

The room temperature is around 62 degrees Fahrenheit as I type this with the hat on inclusive of my vinyl liner protector. I'm not finding my head to be excessively warm at all. Most of the year here in Canada the vinyl liner protector shouldn't be problematic. Indeed it's now below freezing outdoors & I suspect the vinyl will make the hat more comfortable in our wintry conditions. Effective tomorrow I'll be adding the Royal OR to my current rotation.

The vinyl doesn't completely cut off air circulation within the hat either, due in large part to my inability to use scissors accurately, a blessing in disguise in this instance. With a bit of thought & requisite hand/eye coordination I'm confident that the vinyl could be trimmed to purposely allow for circulation whilst protecting the native liner.

On this quiet New Year's Eve, in closing I hope that the entire FL membership enjoys a healthy & prosperous 2016.

RJR

I've become my own guinea pig, I'm afraid.

Having recently taken delivery from Delmonico's of a Stetson Royal Open Road in Silverbelly, it is a bit large as expected. I had specified 7-3/4 rather than my usual 7-5/8 on the basis that other of my modern Stetsons have shrunk down to conform to my head, plus if I ever grow my hair back then my size 7-5/8 hats will all be too small, a horrible thought.

As an aside, this hat arrived with a "Long Oval" tag affixed to the sweat. I didn't specify that & actually had no idea that Long Ovals were even available.

Anyways the underside of the crown, with its nice white liner & gold-embossed Stetson logo, makes contact with my bald pate. To avoid soiling the liner I tried out my cellophane food wrap suggestion as reproduced above. Unfortunately the food wrap tended to cling to my head, apparently it wasn't engineered to be able to distinguish my noggin from a big hunk of salami. I didn't relish the thought of doffing my hat in public only to expose a sheet of food wrap clinging to my melon, hardly stylish. I also found that the cellophane food wrap lacked sufficient body to remain proud against the liner when tucked into the sweat i.e. it would sag.

Recalling that I'd seen some sort of plastic sheeting hanging in the aisle at the local Walmart, today I finally got around to fine-tuning my idea of a makeshift plastic liner to protect the native liner. The plastic sheets in question were found in the sewing/knitting/crafts area & are labeled "Ready Cut Vinyl". I bought a package of the medium weight, they were out of the light weight & the heavy & super-heavy weights seemed a bit of overkill for my intended purpose of a hat liner protector. The medium weight incidentally consists of a sheet 118 by 54 inches, nicely packaged to conserve space.

Upon my return from Walmart, using the hat's brim as a guide I cut out a corresponding vinyl piece. I had to trim it down a few times until it fit fairly well inside the crown, abutting the liner, with sufficient extra to be sandwiched between the sweat & the body of the hat.

I'm pleased to report that the vinyl is doing the job. It's robust enough to retain the requisite dome-like shape. It doesn't appreciably stick to the top of my head; now that I think about it, I have fond memories of sliding all over the vinyl seat covers used by my father & my uncle back in the 1950s & '60s to protect the upholstery in their cars against any peril to & including nuclear war with the commies.

The room temperature is around 62 degrees Fahrenheit as I type this with the hat on inclusive of my vinyl liner protector. I'm not finding my head to be excessively warm at all. Most of the year here in Canada the vinyl liner protector shouldn't be problematic. Indeed it's now below freezing outdoors & I suspect the vinyl will make the hat more comfortable in our wintry conditions. Effective tomorrow I'll be adding the Royal OR to my current rotation.

The vinyl doesn't completely cut off air circulation within the hat either, due in large part to my inability to use scissors accurately, a blessing in disguise in this instance. With a bit of thought & requisite hand/eye coordination I'm confident that the vinyl could be trimmed to purposely allow for circulation whilst protecting the native liner.

On this quiet New Year's Eve, in closing I hope that the entire FL membership enjoys a healthy & prosperous 2016.
Interesting approach,viclip.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Okay, my turn for a few stupid questions, but I'm new to DIY and I have my first vintage eBay purchase on the way. I'm looking forward to taking a shot at this.

1. What is naptha? Where do I buy it?

2. Can someone point me in the direction of some good DIY threads? I've used the search function and can't find any, which, I'm sure, is due to user error. I'm looking for some good instructions on how to bash a hat, how to do a pinch properly, how to clean, etc.

Thanks
This is an answer to an old thread. Naphtha can be purchased at a lot of hardware stores, paint stores, big boxes like Lowes and Home Depot. Coleman fuel is a decent grade of naphtha and can be used. I purchased a rather nice Stetson Open Road off ebay that needed cleaning, so I got a tub and actually mixed some hardware store naphtha and Coleman fuel I had to get enough volume to submerge the had, soaked it overnight, then lifted it out and let the cleaning fluid drain out, rinsed it a few more times and set aside to dry. The liner was unharmed, no loss of print. Some kind of white powder did come out of the felt, I do not know if it was a coloring agent or a stiffening agent The hat is nice clean and a little softer than original.

Gilgamark, this here should get you started. The best way to search here, that I have found, is google your search ending with fedora lounge in your search parameters.

Before:

14v7n9l.jpg

After:

6dvfhz.jpg

346rqsp.jpg

Soaked in a bowl of cold water for about 6-8 hrs. Then hand washed with a mild dish soap, working soiled spots between thumb & index finger. Soaked overnight in a bowl of fresh water with dish soap added. Rinsed in clean water then draped over a pitcher to dry in shape. There is some staining left which will be behind the sweatband but all the spots were removed. No loss of the red or gold color. Hat will be ready soon.

RJR

Before:

14v7n9l.jpg

After:

6dvfhz.jpg

346rqsp.jpg

Soaked in a bowl of cold water for about 6-8 hrs. Then hand washed with a mild dish soap, working soiled spots between thumb & index finger. Soaked overnight in a bowl of fresh water with dish soap added. Rinsed in clean water then draped over a pitcher to dry in shape. There is some staining left which will be behind the sweatband but all the spots were removed. No loss of the red or gold color. Hat will be ready soon.
It turned out well,nice work.

I've had pretty good luck taking a cotton ball soaked in peroxide and water mix and wiping down the yellow stains and setting the liner out in the sun for a while. I've done spot cleaning with this on a sewn in liner I didn't want to remove.

cwboy1

New in Town
Howdy
Newby here, most likely already spoken about but was wondering what is the best way to clean the interior lining of a stetson cowboy hat. The lining is a satin material I believe. Hair oil, sweat, dirt, grime over time. Really isn't that bad just needs to be freshen up a bit. Wasn't sure what cleaner if any or what procedure to follow to clean this satin material on the inside of the hat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Y'al

navarre

Vendor
Howdy
Newby here, most likely already spoken about but was wondering what is the best way to clean the interior lining of a stetson cowboy hat. The lining is a satin material I believe. Hair oil, sweat, dirt, grime over time. Really isn't that bad just needs to be freshen up a bit. Wasn't sure what cleaner if any or what procedure to follow to clean this satin material on the inside of the hat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Y'al
Welcome cowboy1. There are lots of different answers to that question combined in the previous pages of this thread. As with a great portions of questions here on the Lounge, just take some time to read, the answers are usually already here.

Jreynolds

New in Town
Hello everyone. My friend gifted me a rabbit felt fedora made by Flechet. The liner is white and has sweat stains. Is there a way to get the stains out without replacing the liner? I really would like to keep the liner if possible and not have to replace both the liner and the sweatband. I'll attach photos of what I'm referring to. Thank you

Attachments

• 20230308_144819.jpg
    20230308_144819.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 41
  • 20230308_144838.jpg
    20230308_144838.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 38
Hello everyone. My friend gifted me a rabbit felt fedora made by Flechet. The liner is white and has sweat stains. Is there a way to get the stains out without replacing the liner? I really would like to keep the liner if possible and not have to replace both the liner and the sweatband. I'll attach photos of what I'm referring to. Thank you
If it is a US made Flechet the liner is very likely glued into place. If this is the case, remove it and you can reglue it or use double sided tape in 3 or 4 spots. Wash in tepid water with a mild detergent and don't agitate harshly as you risk fading the print.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy