Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloth A-2s

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
While looking at jackets that i can't afford on the internet, ive noticed that i have come across several cloth A-2 jackets. Theres one with a thinsulate lining ( http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...=froogle&cm_pla=0250501&cm_ite=0012411920975a ) and one at U.S. Wings ( http://www.uswings.com/cloth.asp and scroll down ) My question is this, does anyone own one of these or a similar jacket, and do you think this might be a good jacket for those of us in warmer climates? Or is it better to stick with a leather one?

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Well Wolfeman, I can't speak for anyone else, but I like cotton A-2's. The original Avirex Ltd, now Cockpit USA, sold some nice ones. Other companies make 'em. They are properly real and authentic vintage style in that you will find pictures of cotton A-2 type jackets worn by air force personnel based in the Far East. If you check out the "photos of A-2's in WW2" (sorry - I will edit in a minute to give you the proper name and link!) thread you will see an example of an AVG/CATF/14 AAF member wearing a locally made cloth version of a flight jacket.

They are well suited to warmer climes - that's where they came from! You might see them on Ebay in your part of the world quite cheap too. I missed out on one just the other night - the jacket sold cheap IMHO but I had to take into account international postage so that always gets in the way when bidding on stuff from your side of the pond!

If you get one, it will make a great inexpensive addition to the leather A-2 for when it is just too hot for leather.

Have you looked up 442 Regimental Combat Team and what they achieved yet? ;) You really must...

Here's the link: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=48627

The example I was thinking of isn't exact - but it shows the general idea!

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Avirex Cloth A-2s

Wolfeman, I have two Avirex cloth A-2s, they are nice for cool weather wear. I live in California where jacket weather lasts two months, leather or cloth jackets. We don't really have a spring or winter, it goes straight from fall to summer weather. Here's the pics of my Avirex jackets from a previous tread about Avirex Repro jackets.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=48438

lol There's one for sale on ebay right now...what a coincidence ;)

An Avirex size small in this style jacket should fit you fine...they fit more like a size medium.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVIREX-Type-A-2...mQQptZUS_CSA_MC_Outerwear?hash=item335b75c145

ps- at age 15 you should be careful about buying too many jackets. When my son was 15, he wore a medium, two years later he wore a large...you're gonna grow out of any jacket that fits you now...guaranteed

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
442RCT said:
ps- at age 15 you should be careful about buying too many jackets. When my son was 15, he wore a medium, two years later he wore a large...you're gonna grow out of any jacket that fits you now...guaranteed
I can't afford to buy alot of jackets, i have one at present thats too big, and one on the way. ( thanks again )

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Remember Our Deal

You chose to research the 442 RCT ;) ...I want you to post something that you learned about them in the WW2 section of Fedora Lounge.

Edward

Bartender
I don't believe they were ever issued, but as has been said it's probably that some were made and worn out in the field. I do recall that the USN had a cloth jacket, issued mainly in the South Pacific, which was roughly along these lines, though more a cloth G1 type than A2, and no kit cuffs or waistband. (The repro I saw put me in mind of nothing so much as a khaki/tan cloth Indy jacket....). I quite ancy something like that, myself, for hot weather wear when leather and even my Harrington style jackets get too much. I do have a repro of an RAF desert shirt/jacket, the belted type, but while very practical it does kinda stick out in the city.... ;)

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Here's a photo of the Avirex one I didn't get.

No pictures of the back of this one, so I guess it is plain. It gives you an idea though of what these are like in general.

I used to have a pre-production sample in khaki with some very odd (unique) features - more or less standard but with the addition of a 'detachable' pocket with leather tabs and a detachable 'mouton' collar to switch to a more 'G-1' look, and a fairly heavily detailed liner - unfortunately I also had a very dosey G/F who decided to have a clear out of all the stuff of mine that was 'old'. I came home from an overseas trip to find she had 'made space' by donating all my vintage levi's, check shirts, the cotton sample A-2/G-1 hybrid and a wartime dated RN Duffle coat (in a very large size!) to charity.

I still have the mouton collar - I no longer have the girlfriend!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's very hard to find one of these without the leather collar or "rank" tabs. I think they're meant to sublimate the desire for a leather jacket.

The Navy jacket Edward referred to is the M-421. It's reproed sporadically, usually in Japan, where plain-styled, cotton jackets are more accepted. I find mine (a Willis & Geiger repro, no longer made) to be very useful in the "shoulder seasons."

Speedbird

A-List Customer
I think our young friend Wolfeman was looking for something more readily available/affordable that he could wear when it is too hot for his leather and not worry too much about when he inevitably grows out of it; preferably something he could recover his outlay on by selling in a year or so's time for more or less what he will pay for it now.

The new ones signposted are I am sure nice interpretations of an A-2 in fabric - but ranging in price from $128 through $150 to a staggering $500+ !

I think a sub $50 ebay A-2/G-1 type jacket is more appropriate and more realistic. A Navy issue lightweight G-1 type repro would be ideal - the AVG are known to have scrounged up this type in theatre. Or a generic lightweight cotton jacket that looks like a flying jacket of sorts, similiar to those privately purchased in Bombay etc.

Happy Hunting WolfeMan!

PS: The Cabelas canvas jacket you first linked to looks a really good buy at the on sale price of $40!!!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's mine...

DixonCannonTanA2.jpg
1.jpg

Flight Suits, El Cajon, CA -Made in U.S.A.

-dixon cannon

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Just a suggestion. Why not buy a real flight jacket?

Though largely overlooked by most collectors, this style of nomex flight jacket was issued to Army Aviators in the seventies. Unlike the more familiar CWU-36/P, it was made of soft, poplin-like material, was light-weight and was very comfortable in warm weather. Except for its lack of patch pockets, it looks very A-2ish...and it is a real military flight jacket.

There are usually a half dozen on e-bay at any given time.

AF

Speedbird

A-List Customer
^^^^ now that's a good suggestion ^^^^^

Atticus, what is the model number/name for this type? It looks quite a lot like a RAF flight jacket too. Was it a NATO standard item?

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Atticus Finch said:

Though largely overlooked by most collectors, this style of nomex flight jacket was issued to Army Aviators in the seventies. Unlike the more familiar CWU-36/P, it was made of soft, poplin-like material, was light-weight and was very comfortable in warm weather. Except for its lack of patch pockets, it looks very A-2ish...and it is a real military flight jacket.

There are usually a half dozen on e-bay at any given time.

AF
I have noticed jackets like these around, but i like the pockets on the A2.
Edit- not saying anything against it, i'll look into it if i cant find the sort i'm looking for.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Gibson & Barnes also offers a cloth A-2 (and G-1).

81.jpg

That said, I think AF's suggestion of a CWU-36/P is spot on. Might have to look for one myself. :)

Mac

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Yes, a standard item in the inventory. And there was a cold-weather version as well as the light-weight one. Here's photos of the two tags in the light-weight jacket. I've never quite understood the lack of interest in these jackets among FJ collectors.

BTW, the jacket pictured in the Villagetrends ad, above, isn't a flight jacket. It is a jacket that was issued to combat vehicle crew. But that CVC jacket is very similar to nomex flight jackets issued about the same time.

AF

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
I don't believe they were ever issued, but as has been said it's probably that some were made and worn out in the field. I do recall that the USN had a cloth jacket, issued mainly in the South Pacific, which was roughly along these lines, though more a cloth G1 type than A2, and no kit cuffs or waistband. (The repro I saw put me in mind of nothing so much as a khaki/tan cloth Indy jacket....). I quite ancy something like that, myself, for hot weather wear when leather and even my Harrington style jackets get too much. I do have a repro of an RAF desert shirt/jacket, the belted type, but while very practical it does kinda stick out in the city.... ;)
Any idea where i can find the jacket without the knit cuffs and waist? sounds interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters