Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloth Diapers?

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
leaette said:
my son is just about 10 months old and we use disposable ones. i'm very eco conscious but that is one thing that i will NOT give up. nothing is more grosser and unsanitary than using cloth diapers. you have to swish the diaper in your toilet to get the poo out and then let the diaper soak in a bucket until you wash them. but think of all that water dripping all over the place from the toilet to the bucket. ewww.
and when you wash them....think of where you are washing them....in your washing machine where you wash your clothes! just plain YUCK!!!!
they leak. they are ver inconvienent when you are out and about.

they came out with a more eco friendly disposable last summer. you buy the special cloth diapers and they have a eco-friendly disposable liner. haven't tried them. but i'm sure you can find them online.

I am sorry you are SO mis-informed about diapers.

I am not saying this to sound mean at all REALLY... I sell diapers for a living, and NONE of this is true what so ever.. If you have any questions I would love to give you a run down on how awesome cloth diapers are. and NOT gross, and super easy to clean.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Joie DeVive said:
Thanks ShooShoo and Leatte.

Leatte, while I hadn't been actively looking for them, while I was shopping for friend's showers, I was keeping an eye out. I saw cloth diapers and baby safety pins, but no rubber pants. That's why I asked. I was looking at Target and Babies R Us. Of course, the Babies R Us was in an area without diaper services, so that could have something to do with it. [huh]

Thanks ShooShoo. I'll check that company out. My ick factor is reasonably high. And a diaper service removes even the ick of having poopy diapers in your washing machine. :D
I also have a theory that cloth diapers help kids potty train earlier. After all, they can feel the wet more easily than they can in disposables. I have no proof, but it's something I noticed among people I've known using the two different products.

They do help potty train early in most cases. My son was done by 2!

Also, diaper service can get pretty spendy. But washing diapers is not that bad, I have a DRY pail and I throw dirties in it, and then I throw it all in the wash. cold soak, hot hot wash, extra rinse, adn they are clean and sparkly! lol

justaktty

New in Town
On my youngest, who just turned 25 (yrs old), I did cloth diapers. I didn't necessarily like it, as it was sometimes inconvenient, but the child just could not wear the disposables of the day. For her, paper diapers equalled horrific diaper rash. Clothies ...no problem.

So, I got diaper service, and potty trained her as soon as feasible.

And, I still have those marvelous diapers to use for polishing things.

Sometimes the old ways aren't so bad.

Justaktty

Foofoogal

Banned
Local newspaper had a nice article on diapers and saving money so thought I would put the links here. The cloth diapers of today are not like grandmas day. lol
------------------
Cloth:
http://www.diaperdecisions.com
http://www.modernmommygear.com
http://www.softclothbunz.com
http://www.wigglewormbottoms.com
http://www.bumkins.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=54
http://www.diaperswappers.com/
http://www.clothdaddy.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/twelve-paws/sets/72157603785535845/
Amazon and Ebay.

-------To save on disposables. Special offers and coupons.
huggiesbabynetwork.com
pampers.com
Bulk:
diapers.com
--------------
Make your own to save:
diaperjungle.com
goodnessgraciousdiaper.wordpress.com
zany-zebra.com/free-cloth-diaperpatterns.shtml

-------
a few I got off of this thread. If more just add them.

My mother used cloth diapers with me when I was a baby, but gave up on the endeavor when she had Twins the next time around, she said it was simply too difficult to keep up.

JennyLou

Practically Family
My friend who is 21 told me that her mother used cloth diapers on her. We both want to use cloth diapers when we have kids. I don't like the idea of dirty disposable diapers filling landfills. I will probably only use them when I take my future kids out.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
We use prefolded cloth diapers on our son. We also use a Snappi instead of pins, and we wrap it all up with a Thirsties cover

We also use a dry pail, and wash them in our washer. Yes, it seems gross, but with a breastfed baby, the babypoop breaks down when using Bac-Out enzyme, a cold soak, then a hot-hot wash with Planet detergent, and an extra rinse.

We occasionally use a disposable at night, or when traveling somewhere. They leak about every other time. So far, we've had no leaks with the cloth diapers, and his bum is free of redness.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
exquisitebones said:
They do help potty train early in most cases. My son was done by 2!

Also, diaper service can get pretty spendy. But washing diapers is not that bad, I have a DRY pail and I throw dirties in it, and then I throw it all in the wash. cold soak, hot hot wash, extra rinse, adn they are clean and sparkly! lol

I have a question about this dry pail business. Do you throw the dirties in there 'with' the poop? That would be so much easier. And if you do get rid of the poop, what is the easiest way? Right now I give the diaper a shake in the toilet but that can get messy and sometimes it doesn't get all the poop.

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
I use cloth as well (Bumgenius 3.0 diapers) and shake the poopy diapers into the toilet, then spray them with a stain pre-treater and put them into the dry pail. I wash them every evening and hang them on the line in the a.m.

Warden

One Too Many
It is a big eventy in our household,

After having 2 children 2 years apart, this is the first week we have had no nappies (dappers) to wash. After almost 5 years it is at last coming to an end.

Harry

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
We have a few dozen cloth diapers(and a new baby) but the common use for them seems to be for baby-wiping, as baby-vomit drop-cloths and when wet, ass whipping of Mrs. BT.

The disposable jobs perform the function far better and 'contain' the contents in a far superior manner. Storing/soaking/washing/disinfecting cloth diapers must be the chore of chores.
The disposable are better for baby and parents-

B
T

I couldn't disagree more. My wife and I used a service which was great, pick-up and delivery, then when our work schedules wouldn't allow that, we simply did the dropping off and picking up.

Where we live now, we don't have a service, but a good lined bin for storing, a bit of a soak in the washer then a normal wash, and Robert's your mother's brother!

Cloth diapers are proved to result in less diaper rash (better for baby), and the modern "bummie wraps" "contain" everything as well as disposables, which we keep on hand as emergency use items. On the odd occasion when baby's "discharge" leaks, it does so with equal likelihood regardless of disposable or cloth.

And cloth means less garbage in the landfill (in Canada ELEVEN percent of all garbage consists of disposable diapers - and they last for centuries!), and quite frankly, the various mega-corporations that make disposable diapers won't go bankrupt for not having more of our money!

CLOTH RULES!:D

donCarlos

Practically Family
My mother used cloth diapers on me, because there were no other available. They had to be washed, but that´s all. I grew up just fine :) Babies need some dirt around.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Our second little girl just graduated to the next size up of cloth diapers, and we're wondering what to do with the older ones. I've suggested making a quilt, but the missus isn't so keen on the idea!

Other than use as cleaning cloths, any suggestions?

Geesie

Practically Family
I too was put into cloth diapers (and given glass bottles and mercury thermometers) and I'm fine and my parents are fine. And I was born in 1981 so yes there were other options.

"Disposable" to me is the opposite of a marketing term. I hate generating landfill waste and throwing away things I could reuse.

jayem

A-List Customer
No cloth diapers for me, but I did have glass bottles. My mom is simply too squeemish, which I think is funny for a woman who potty trained over 20 kids (she ran an in-home daycare for 15 years).

I plan on using cloth diapers on my kids for economic purposes. Disposable diapers are a cesspool of bacteria not only for baby but for others after they're soiled by baby.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Don't have kids and reserve the right to change my mind, but looking at cloth diapers.

Also, I've heard plastic baby bottles are now being considered to have a lot more chemical issues than glass? I'm hoping to feed, ahem, au natural, but I'm considering a couple glass bottles for those times I want their father to feed them.

CassD

One of the Regulars
My mom used cloth diapers. She said the they were better financially and they prevented severe diaper rash. I'm going with traditional cloth nappies and pins, personally. We are going with a wet pail because we got a kit which included an environmentally friendly nappy soak. We're also going to use bio-degradable, flushable liners that sit in the nappies which makes cleaning up the poo a little better, though many woman say to just scrape the poo out with another part of the nappy.

As far as how environmentally friendly cloth nappies are, it all depends on how you wash them. There are environmentally friendly soaks and there is no need to wash the nappies at extremely high temperatures to disinfect. This can be done with the nappy soaks, with a bit of vinegar in the wash or by simply hanging the nappies in the sun to dry (sun bleaches and disinfects), so they can actually be more environmentally friendly than disposables, depending on how you're taking care of them.

We are going to be using disposables when out and about for convenience, as well as while in hospital and when baby is in daycare. I can't say how well this works yet as we're still waiting for baby to arrive (any time now).

cecil

A-List Customer
leaette said:
my son is just about 10 months old and we use disposable ones. i'm very eco conscious but that is one thing that i will NOT give up. nothing is more grosser and unsanitary than using cloth diapers. you have to swish the diaper in your toilet to get the poo out and then let the diaper soak in a bucket until you wash them. but think of all that water dripping all over the place from the toilet to the bucket. ewww.
and when you wash them....think of where you are washing them....in your washing machine where you wash your clothes! just plain YUCK!!!!
they leak. they are ver inconvienent when you are out and about.

they came out with a more eco friendly disposable last summer. you buy the special cloth diapers and they have a eco-friendly disposable liner. haven't tried them. but i'm sure you can find them online.

:eek: Whaaaat? Hospitals are the cleanest joints around and I doubt that every pooped-on sheet in the nursery gets chucked away!

My mum used cloth ones (just the squares of towel folded into a triangle, is this what people are talking about?) because we were poor and they stopped nappy rash. She would use disposables if we were going out though, just because they were, well, disposable! Handy-dandy. Though I spose my mum was alot less funny about poop etc than most, she was a nurse for 15 years before she had me. No room for squeamishness in a job like that! lol

jayem

A-List Customer
cecil said:
:eek: Whaaaat? Hospitals are the cleanest joints around and I doubt that every pooped-on sheet in the nursery gets chucked away!

On the contrary, surgery rooms are the cleanest places around. The regular ol' hospital is just as dirty as a well kept house. Why do you think 9 out of 10 nurses get MRSA at least once and non-MRSA staph several times during their careers?

Though I do agree with the statement above. LOTS of bleach is used when washing those sheets, though. Most parents shy away from using bleach on baby clothes, especially cloth diapers, from fear of irritation. Straight bleach would irritate, no doubt... but soaked and dried bleach just to disinfect won't hurt a baby anymore than it would hurt you or me.

Just playing devils advocate... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner