Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CLOVERFIELD (1-18-08)

zaika

One Too Many
i saw it. it was okay...but i wasn't expecting much anyway. i think the gimmick is not so much the POV but the fact that it's "raw" footage and was marketed as such. but it's not an original idea. blair witch anyone? with that movie, though...i saw it when it was just being shown in a few cities in small theaters...and going into it, i thought it was a real documentary. so it freaked me the heck out until about 3/4 of the way in when i realized that it was just a movie. :D
seeing as "cloverfield" was supposed to be a showing of raw footage taken during a real event...i wasn't surprised that we didn't get to know the characters at all. i wasn't surprised that there was no story. wait, let me put it this way...i WAS surprised that they attempted to tell a story at all. lol because the story they tried to pull off was stupid. it would have been better to throw away the thin as paper "love" story and instead make it a story of survival. also, it would have been better to cast normal looking people as the main characters. seriously, i don't know about anyone else, but...i don't have friends who look like that. maybe one who is close-ish.
and they should have waited to show the monster in all its glory until way later in the film. it was scarier when we only caught glimpses...and i lost interest in it when they showed the whole body pretty much right away. [huh]
what else...
i cried when the guy had to tell his mom about his brother's death. i have no idea where that came from...but there you go.
and...that battery would NEVER have lasted that long. lol
those are my scattered thoughts.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Easter Egg" *Spoiler*

Not sure if anyone stayed til after the credits, but there is a backwards soundbite that says "It's still alive!"

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Wow! Original marketing idea!

The fact that you don't actually see the monster clearly is being seen by some as something highly original and innovative.

Presumably by those people who weren't old enough to experience the same marketing/plot device in 'Alien'. Whan was that?

Alan

Edward

Bartender
It sounds fun enough.... I might go and see it. Viral marketing always puts me off stuff, though - I tend to see it as manipulative, underhand, or whatever. Maybe I'm just annoyed still at how the man took over myspace etc.....

Blair Witch was quite possibly the least original pile of overrated rubbish I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen a lot of crap in my time...

rumblefish

One Too Many
[/QUOTE] From Doh!:

Have you seen the oil rig video? Pretty clever marketing campaign, even though I wasn't that impressed by the movie itself:

http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_10473.html [/QUOTE]

An oil spill at the Mid Atlantic Ridge [is] dangerously close to the coast of Connecticut???:confused:
Yeah, oil has a way of moving against the gulf stream and targeting a section of coast inside of Long Island Sound bypassing and avoiding everywhere else.:rolleyes:
Well at least the movie depicted some of our media fairley accurately. Uninformed, unresearched,,,,,,

One thing I'm not a big fan of is-suddenly having toxic fish in my body. lol

Josephine

One Too Many
Alan Eardley said:
The fact that you don't actually see the monster clearly is being seen by some as something highly original and innovative.

Presumably by those people who weren't old enough to experience the same marketing/plot device in 'Alien'. Whan was that?

Alan

Jaws did it in '75, of course, it was mainly because they couldn't afford a decent shark... lol

Dalexs

Practically Family
Alan Eardley said:

Alan

And at least Alien was able to scare the living sh*t outta you!
Even today that movie holds up to todays horror junk!

Doh!

One Too Many
Josephine said:
Jaws did it in '75, of course, it was mainly because they couldn't afford a decent shark... lol

Could you imagine if Lucas had directed that instead of Spielberg? The original print would be locked away and he'd only give us the "special edition" complete with CGI shark in all its glory.

You know, to "improve" things.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Doh! said:
Could you imagine if Lucas had directed that instead of Spielberg? The original print would be locked away and he'd only give us the "special edition" complete with CGI shark in all its glory.

You know, to "improve" things.

And all the characters would have silly names... Mace Windoo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner