Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CNN Airs Interview with Dead Woman - Just Horrible...

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Folks,

Today I was reading the SF Chronicle and something just made me absolutely sick. CNN actually aired an interview with a dead woman. It sounded like a really bad version of Star Trek where Captain Kirk et. al were forced to participate in a Roman circus/arena by Plato's Children. Here is the article, I'm interested to see what you folks think:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/09/15/MNGSAL67FH1.DTL

FG

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
When I read the title of the thread, I wasn't sure what it meant. How can someone interview a dead woman?

I don't watch TV news very often, and I don't have cable. It's low-brow entertainment. To me, NEWS is an acronym for "nothing educational or worth seeing." I get world and national news through the Wall Street Journal and local news from the city newsletter.

Feraud

Bartender
What do we expect from primetime channels? This affair seems rather tame considering what gets broadcast.

Terry Lennox said:
I admit that's in low taste, but wouldn't all the 9-11 video be in the same catagory?
The 9/11 videos splashed all over the news of people falling to their deaths and buildings collapsing is extremely low taste. As all the talk of "needing time to heal" occurs, news outlets cannot play those tapes enough. It is disgusting.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm not sure I understand why these tapes of this woman should not have been played. Whether the questions should have been asked at all is a different issue, but if it was okay to ask them, why isn't it okay to play the tape?

Viola

Phil

A-List Customer
I do agree with Feraud. I think it's a little contraditary to say we need to heal from 9-11 then show and endless reel of the buildings getting hit and the aftermath.

Section10

One of the Regulars
I'm probably one of the few adults in the country who has never once seen footage of the 9-11 attacks. (Except for a few newspaper photos). I purposely avoided it because I couldn't see how it would do any good. I was afraid it would simply feed a hatred and I think there's an abundant supply of that in the world already.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
So I can see your point...

Viola said:
I'm not sure I understand why these tapes of this woman should not have been played. Whether the questions should have been asked at all is a different issue, but if it was okay to ask them, why isn't it okay to play the tape?

Viola

Viola,

I can see your point, but the goading and the questions perhaps were enough...but to go ahead and air humiliating persecution after a person has died...is still poor taste nonetheless. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

FG.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I think that Nancy Grace's questions were horrible.

However, see this:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orl-grace1606sep16,0,604687.story?track=rss

A quote from the story:

"I think it happened because Melinda Duckett may very well know where her son was," Grace said in an interview with Chris Cuomo on ABC's Good Morning America. "She even told her mother, just before she killed herself, 'Trenton's not coming home, Mom. He's not coming home.' How, Chris, would she have known that? If anything, I would suggest guilt caused her to commit suicide."

I read about the disappearance and suicide on a news site (without knowing about the horrible interview) and I was like, oh? What was she hiding? The question could have been asked with more tact by Ms. Grace.

So, what was Melinda Duckett hiding?

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
I think that Nancy Grace's questions were horrible.

However, see this:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orl-grace1606sep16,0,604687.story?track=rss

A quote from the story:

I read about the disappearance and suicide on a news site (without knowing about the horrible interview) and I was like, oh? What was she hiding? The question could have been asked with more tact by Ms. Grace.

So, what was Melinda Duckett hiding?

Even though death is in the picture...the truth just about always comes out. Sometimes it doesn't, but people can formulate a picture on their own. So, I think that whatever it was, it was torrid enough or possibly grotesque and horrible enough that she didn't want to face the shame and shame her family. Regardless of that though, she shouldn't have off'ed herself. There is no honour in suicide no matter which way you slant it.

She could have had an affair...she could have molested the boy...she could have 'given' him up to other folks...it could be a myriad of things. The truth will come out, just give it time. And if I know Nancy Grace right...as crappy a journalist as she is...she'll find it because it makes her look better.

And with that, I'd spit on her shoe.

Just my .02 cents.

FG

panamag8or

Practically Family
As someone with a broadcasting degree and some TV news experience, the concept of airing an interview with a subject that has since died is not unethical, but airing an interview where the host harrangues the subject, while also not unethical, is in somewhat bad taste. It is sensationalism, not news, and I would not have aired it if I were the news director.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters