Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coastal Command Irvin Repro by Aero (sz 44)

Edward

Bartender
Agreed, John. Maybe they just don't find a high demand for them, but I suspect there'd be a few customers at least.... I don't think anyone else makes a repro of this one at all. My one temptation would be to deviate from the yellow hood, just keep it the same brown as the rest of the jacket. Not sure I'd wear it up all that often anyhow, though even if you never wore it hooded, it still gives a nice, high collar up round the neck in the cold.

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
They don't generally make them--it was a special order they were able to accomodate because of a (relatively) slack period. With their current work load, it might be more problematic to get one made just now--Amanda has told me they cannot currently accept non-Aero restoration work, so I don't know what their position is on custom stuff like this. Glad I sent them my current project before that happened!

On eBay, the jacket has a ton of hits, and several watchers. Perhaps there is demand for the pattern after all

Best,
Trog

John Lever

One Too Many
What a beautyfull jacket. Unfortunately I am to small for it.
Then you are lucky as RAF jackets look best when they are too big. So many wartime pics show crew in huge jackets with their sleeves rolled up and the belt as tight as it will go.
If it's one or two sizes too big I would go for it.

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Just got a very tempting bite, but with a catch: Prospective buyer hates the yellow of the hood. What could he do to re-color it?

Thanks,
Trog

Edward

Bartender
Eee.... I don't know that there is any option with that. There are probably paint-stripping chemicals out there woud do it, but nothing I would risk using as it's likely to take the surface off the fleece too.

Gee

Familiar Face
Beautiful jacket, and I was particularly impressed with how authentic the colour of the hood is. I have an original C.C. jacket which I am now too scared to wear due to researching its history, but when I did wear it, I would always have the hood rolled over so that it looked like a bulkier version of a conventional collar. I hope your prospective buyer considers doing this, it would be a shame to lose the authenticity of the jacket after it has been clearly made so true to the original design.
Good luck with the auction.

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Went for a disappointingly low $410 (better than 60% discount), but the buyer is a deck officer on a cruise ship that sails in cold waters, so it will get good use and he should get major "cool points."

So, a fairly happy ending. WWII Irvin goes on eBay next month...

Best,
Trog

John Lever

One Too Many
Went for a disappointingly low $410 (better than 60% discount), but the buyer is a deck officer on a cruise ship that sails in cold waters, so it will get good use and he should get major "cool points."

So, a fairly happy ending. WWII Irvin goes on eBay next month...

Best,
Trog

Bad luck on the price. Maybe that is why it's not a regular item for Aero.
The buyer got a real bargain.

Ibecamemygrandfather

New in Town
Yup, me too. It rained here today so I slept in, not having to work. And missed the end of the darn auction! While maybe not the deal of a lifetime, that coat was still a hell of a bargain at the price it went for vs. the shape it appeared to be in. Best of luck for all parties!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner