Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coble designed hat for the film ''As I Lay Dying"

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Very eye catching thread name! Give a guy a heart attack!!! You a newspaper editor?

:thumb:CONGRATS! :cheers1:

"... I don't need anymore bad news, *^%$#$^#@()!" :censored:

I'm not alone then, in having thought that the thread title was implying something disastrous for Coble's health. I'm glad that is not true. Sunbody hats are also great quality, and I own one, their fedora model with the leather band.

coble

A-List Customer
Congratulations on the new job!

Do you use steam or wet the hats when you shape them? I have quite a few Sunbody hats and love them. I usually buy the open crowns and shape them myself by wetting them down with cold water. I tried steam originally but found it was easier for me by wetting down the entire hat. I was curious how you do it at the factory. Thanks!

-we wet shape them on wood blocks. Make sure when you are shaping your hat not to soak it, just a quick dunk. You don't want the hat to be soaked. Reason being is that the hats have a natural starch in the palm which helps give it's shape. Soaking the hat to much will soften the hat and make it hard to keep it's shape. So just an quick dunk and let the water drain off a bit then start shaping.
They have great shaping abilities. I recently did a double teardrop in one of my hats at home just using my hands and a wood shaping tool. We use a flat rounded on the ends shaping tool at work.
Also the most you can reshape the hats dealing with changing the crown is twice. The palm leaf has a memory and if you went from a fedora to a cattleman you can notice some of the old shape, just a little advice. I hope this helped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael