Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coble designed hat for the film ''As I Lay Dying"

coble

A-List Customer
I am excited to finally announce that I designed four hats for James Franco's movie as I lay dying. I block and shaped the hats, designed them, shaped them and worked in my own feel to what i felt should be each style from crown to brim style.
James Franco's costume designer contacted us at Sunbody hats and my boss and owner Jimmy said Jacob here you go run with it this is what the costume designer is hoping for, so I spent the day designing 4 different hats. Here is one of them I designed. It's been aged and the brim is broken in purpose due to character design. Enjoy. I'm excited to finally announce this news.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 240
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 200
Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am excited to finally announce that I designed four hats for James Franco's movie as I lay dying. I block and shaped the hats, designed them, shaped them and worked in my own feel to what i felt should be each style from crown to brim style.
James Franco's costume designer contacted us at Sunbody hats and my boss and owner Jimmy said Jacob here you go run with it this is what the costume designer is hoping for, so I spent the day designing 4 different hats. Here is one of them I designed. It's been aged and the brim is broken in purpose due to character design. Enjoy. I'm excited to finally announce this news.

Very eye catching thread name! Give a guy a heart attack!!! You a newspaper editor?

:thumb:CONGRATS! :cheers1:

"... I don't need anymore bad news, *^%$#$^#@()!" :censored:

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Wow! That must have been fun. Is the movie a period piece? Can you tell us more about the process you went through -- what guidance you got from the costume designer or anyone else with the production? Or was it all up to you?

coble

A-List Customer
awesome! great photo, Rusty.

Awesome photo.
How the process worked was the costume designer contacted us at Sunbody hats. My boss then told me the hats we needed to shape but their were certain specs they wanted. We then took inspiration from the costume designer photos. Then my boss said go shape them.
Shaping them was a thrill.
By the way today I found out that I will be the new shaper for Sunbody hats, my new position will be starting at the end of summer. Normally I would just shape the custom hats and then ship out orders.
I've now been with the company a little over 2 years and finally landed the position I've been wanting. In an air conditioned room shaping hats and listening to music, loving life.
Sorry for taking so long to respond been really busy.
Again thanks.

coble

A-List Customer
By the way rustys photo still makes me cry. I knew they were going to break the brim but it looked stunning when it shipped out but that's creating a character for you. By the way the hat is a 4 1/2 inch brim Gus regular guatamalans palm.

Landman

One Too Many
Congratulations on the new job!

Do you use steam or wet the hats when you shape them? I have quite a few Sunbody hats and love them. I usually buy the open crowns and shape them myself by wetting them down with cold water. I tried steam originally but found it was easier for me by wetting down the entire hat. I was curious how you do it at the factory. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails