Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit 100 Mission G-1

Deacon211

One Too Many
I am closer to a 46 chest and I have a 48. There's definitely not a lot of extra room in here, but I prefer that in my G-1s.

Are you measuring the collar in that back measurement? All my jackets seem to come in around 23in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds an interesting jacket, thinking of the sage green here based on Tex's comments.
They only have blue/red/grey in this model. Had to run to a show last night but wife said she'd snap a couple pics today.
Wore it out last night and got a lot of compliments from my son and his friends - so I don't know of that's good or bad ;). I do really like it.

It's not really an MA-1 - more MA-1 inspired, which is actually better to me as this jacket has an interesting pattern of use in certain circles...

Skyhawk

Vendor
Nice honest review. The only thing I have a hard time coming to terms with about the jacket, is the light color of the "mouton color". Myself, I prefer the more "honey" color that I see on some of the jackets. The other stylistic inconsistancies don't bother me.
The mouton is light but not historically inaccurate. Check out the collar on this original W&G AN-6552. Pretty damn blond:
P1030520b.jpg

thor

One Too Many
I am closer to a 46 chest and I have a 48. There's definitely not a lot of extra room in here, but I prefer that in my G-1s.

Are you measuring the collar in that back measurement? All my jackets seem to come in around 23in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, I measured from bottom of collar to end of knit waistband. I have a long torso and usually look for 27" back length in most jackets. This Cockpit size 48 G-1 has nice long arms and the 25.75/26" back measurement is a pretty long body length.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Yes, I measured from bottom of collar to end of knit waistband. I have a long torso and usually look for 27" back length in most jackets. This Cockpit size 48 G-1 has nice long arms and the 25.75/26" back measurement is a pretty long body length.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, I only measure leather. I wasn't including a waistband.

WARHAWK

New in Town
Thanks Thor. I been receiving dribs and drabs from the vendors, some like www.americanequipage.com/cockpitusajackets.aspx, have been particularly good.
Theres seems to be a variance... take a size 40 for egs... the lengths seem to vary by an inch+ in the back (24 to 25.5), thats either just variance in production batches or poor measuring... Now a 25.5 would be fine, but a 24... would have to send that back and I know I will incur import fees.
It would be so much easier to pop into a store and try on... ugh

We don't have any stores in UK, the ORVIS Store in London sometimes has them, but it depends on where ORVIS shifts their inventory. May be worth a call.

Deacon211

One Too Many
View attachment 67594 View attachment 67595 my cockpit usa g1 vintage goatskin jacket

Nice! I've noticed that your collar looks a little fuller and more orange than mine...though it is always hard to tell from pictures.

I have been seriously considering trying a little dye on the collar though I don't quite know how to apply it nor what color would give it that perfect shade.

This is the color of my '97 G+B. Not perfect, but very nice.

and this is my jacket from Steve S...a beautiful looking color I think that I presume will age gracefully

Last edited:

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
this is a very interesting thread for me. as a long time G-1 fan, i have enjoyed about 20 years trying to find a jacket that really fits me. i have owned and traded many jackets. i wear a 46 long suit jacket but have a short torso, long arms and legs, with one arm longer than the other. kind of like a wrecked car that has had the frame adjusted.
i could write pages on this but have owned a number of original (issued and private purchase) jackets: M442a through 7823E AS (Edwards, Cal Sportwear, Brill, Cagelco, Imperial, Flying Equipment Co., US Authentic, JC, Diamond Dave, Gordon & Ferguson, H&L Block, Cockpit, Foster and others. a review of Roger Moore's jacket site is very enlightening with regard to issued jackets. There is tremendous variation--even from the same vendor. What i'm saying is that, for vintage jackets, the same size from a given vendor may not measure the same.
so, what it means is that finding your grail jacket is a long, somewhat expensive, fun journey. you must know your best measurements. For me, i have kept a few jackets. those that fit me best are a Cal Sportwear 46, and a Flying Equip Co. 48. my prize jacket is a G&F size 48 in VGC with provenance. is actually too big for me, but i will hold it since it is so rare. Was owned (and supposedly worn while flying missions in Navy B-24 from Dunkeswell, UK during WWII. i have pics of the Navy Lt wearing the jacket).

i will try to send more pics along, but here are some of my Flying Equip jacket with personal patches. PS i really like the Cockpit 100 mission jacket as it is very, very close to my vintage jackets.

IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Love the jacket pics Gal! If you have a short torso and long arms, the Cockpit is your jacket!

Actually, as I said, they measure similarly. But the knits on the Cockpit make it fit a hair shorter in the torso.

Have you considered a custom fit jacket from Steve Sellers or Aero? Near the same as the Cockpit 100 mission (depending on the size and sale) but it would be cut for you specifically.

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
Love the jacket pics Gal! If you have a short torso and long arms, the Cockpit is your jacket!

Actually, as I said, they measure similarly. But the knits on the Cockpit make it fit a hair shorter in the torso.

Have you considered a custom fit jacket from Steve Sellers or Aero? Near the same as the Cockpit 100 mission (depending on the size and sale) but it would be cut for you specifically.

Deacon:
since i'm rapidly approaching retirement and have 2 or 3 jackets that fit, i'm not too much in the market now. i check the market, looking for bargains or project jackets, but that's about it for me.

S/F Bob

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
PS: the Flying Equip Co. pictured is a 55J14 AER, and the address on the label is Chicago 13, Ill. as far as i know, these were not issued but rather private purchase, maybe available in Navy/USMC/USCG PXs. label below

IMG_0712 (2).JPG

pauleway

Practically Family
Nice! I've noticed that your collar looks a little fuller and more orange than mine...though it is always hard to tell from pictures.

I have been seriously considering trying a little dye on the collar though I don't quite know how to apply it nor what color would give it that perfect shade.

This is the color of my '97 G+B. Not perfect, but very nice.

and this is my jacket from Steve S...a beautiful looking color I think that I presume will age gracefully

pauleway

Practically Family
I love the collar on your G+B jacket. For me that is the perfect size and shape of what a G-1 collar should be, whatever the color of the mouton is!

Deacon211

One Too Many
I love the collar on your G+B jacket. For me that is the perfect size and shape of what a G-1 collar should be, whatever the color of the mouton is!

Thanks Pauleway. A bit of it is the picture which makes it just slightly deeper in shade than in the sun, but it is a very nice shade of orange.

This is actually a bit of a Frankencollar. I was still on active duty when I got this jacket and was hoping to be able to wear this...at least with a flight suit (it would have never passed inspection with the shade differences). Particularly at the time, big and pointed collars really looked weird to me, though I've learned that there were some that were like that.

So I asked G+B to round it like a G-1. The end result was still bigger than the collar I was issued, but at least it didn't stick out even more with a big pointy Elvis collar.

I still tend to prefer smaller collars, but every one has their preferences.

Incidentally, I'm looking to sell this G+B off since it is a bit small on me (size 44). I had to remove two patches with personal attachments, so it would be best as a patch jacket if anyone is interested. Will post it in the sales section once I get off my lazy behind!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's some great looking leather BN!

Thanks Deacon, you are an inspiration!!

Jacket looks even better now I've put some miles on it, grains popped a bit, gained some creases & it's more Matt in appearance. A bit snug when zippered upper third of sternum but perfect in all fit aspects to that point..thus 80%..Good Enough :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points