Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit USA 100 Mission G-1 42 review & pics

Brettafett

One Too Many
Been a while since Ive done one of these, and dont recall seeing much about this jacket, so here goes.

This is Cockpit's Classic Naval Aviator's "100 Mission" G-1 Flight Jacket, size 42
This is the same jacket as the Top Gun heroes, but without the patches. Obviously.
So, is this a G-1 or an M-422A???? Well, its marketed as a G-1, but...
From email conversations years ago with the Clymans, I believe this jacket was patterned after an original Willis & Geiger M-422A, and this is reflected on the generic M-422A label.
P1280468.JPG
P1280471.JPG

Size 42 fits good, with room to layer if need be. Ive owned a size 40 in the past (also the Forrestal version in a 40) and it fit fine with a T-shirt, but felt a touch trim & short.
So the advice to go up at least one size from your chest, is sound. This is a very comfortable jacket and I recon will fit most body-types.
Lengths are good for me at this size. Sleeves are long, but this is Cockpit's signature styling on all their jackets: longer sleeves, shorter body.
P1280454.JPG
P1280462.JPG

This is the updated version, with the separated leather at the base of the zip/ waistband, where previously this was all one piece.
A long-overdue upgrade I'd say. All the necessary G-1 detailing is there. Overall quality is very good.
P1280477.JPG
P1280478.JPG

The goatskin is sumptuous! Lots of grain and character and the 'artificial ageing' is subtle and not overdone.
This jacket is a bit beefier/ heavier than most other USN repros and originals I've owned, but its soft to the touch and comfy to wear. It will last forever.
P1280494.JPG
P1280480.JPG

Mouton collar is genuine fur that has that 100 missions 'Sun-bleached' effect. Same piling and texture (not colour) as my old Eastman M-422a
These vary as each jacket is hand treated and Ive seen pics where the mouton's colour and texture varies a bit. Heres the generic M-422A label....
P1280474.JPG
P1280495.JPG

To be cont...

Brettafett

One Too Many
The seal brown knits are ok, Cockpits' usual blend. Not 100% wool thats for sure. They are decent enough and will last.
P1280492.JPG

Lots of labels to make sure one knows this was made in the ol' US-of-A ;)
P1280479.JPG

Overall a great jacket for those not pedantic about original detailing or cloning of any particular original.
Top Gun fans will love it. It appears to me that these jackets have been used in the upcoming Devotion film.
P1280473.JPG

Here are some shots comparing with my Star Sportswear D Series G-1 and my AVI LTHR M-422A
Both the Star and the AVI feel lighter and the leather is a bit thinner. The AVI mouton's texture is nicer, the leather not quite as grainy (but its not been through a wash or aging process, and is coming on nicely on its own)... The AVI feels trimmer in the body than this Cockpit G-1, but Id also say, its more comfortable mainly due to being a bit lighter.
P1280489.JPG

P1280490.JPG

Cockpit's jackets are not cheap, but I guess this jacket is worth the money, quality-wise, and if you're a fan of the Cockpit/ Avirex/ Top Gun heritage.
However, when you can get an AVI G-1 or the M-422A for a lot less $$££ and still getting decent quality (arguably nicer mouton)... Well, I'd buy the AVI every time...
(Yes, a decent original in good condition that fits, is always a winner, IF, BUT and AND.... etc)
It goes without saying that if you want a top-to-bottom stitch-for-stich accurate USN repro, you have to be prepared to fork out the cash and look to the top tier pros...
P1280480.JPG

Note: UK guys... I got back-slapped with import duties on this jacket, and when you add that to the price, plus postage, it becomes a hard to justify tbh.
Worked out almost the same as buying from Cockpit's EU vendors, and you'll still pay import duties on top. You could almost get an AVI G-1 and M-422A for the same price, or maybe rather refurb a beat up original... Still, a chunk cheaper than a top tier repro.
So, geography becomes a factor here.

AVI should have their ANJ-3 ready soon, and I'll be able to add that to the comparison.
Thanks for reading.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Nice review, thanks! I own a Cockpit Civil A2 jacket (with hidden handwarmers behind patch pockets, longer than any original and in goatskin) and I like it a lot, I wear it probably most out of all of my jackets. Lots of pockets and the goatskin ages beautiully.

edit; would you mind measuring the pit o pit (under the baseball gussets) for me please?

Last edited:

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
The seal brown knits are ok, Cockpits' usual blend. Not 100% wool thats for sure. They are decent enough and will last.
P1280492.JPG

Lots of labels to make sure one knows this was made in the ol' US-of-A ;)
P1280479.JPG

Overall a great jacket for those not pedantic about original detailing or cloning of any particular original.
Top Gun fans will love it. It appears to me that these jackets have been used in the upcoming Devotion film.
P1280473.JPG

Here are some shots comparing with my Star Sportswear D Series G-1 and my AVI LTHR M-422A
Both the Star and the AVI feel lighter and the leather is a bit thinner. The AVI mouton's texture is nicer, the leather not quite as grainy (but its not been through a wash or aging process, and is coming on nicely on its own)... The AVI feels trimmer in the body than this Cockpit G-1, but Id also say, its more comfortable mainly due to being a bit lighter.
P1280489.JPG

P1280490.JPG

Cockpit's jackets are not cheap, but I guess this jacket is worth the money, quality-wise, and if you're a fan of the Cockpit/ Avirex/ Top Gun heritage.
However, when you can get an AVI G-1 or the M-422A for a lot less $$££ and still getting decent quality (arguably nicer mouton)... Well, I'd buy the AVI every time...
(Yes, a decent original in good condition that fits, is always a winner, IF, BUT and AND.... etc)
It goes without saying that if you want a top-to-bottom stitch-for-stich accurate USN repro, you have to be prepared to fork out the cash and look to the top tier pros...
P1280480.JPG

Note: UK guys... I got back-slapped with import duties on this jacket, and when you add that to the price, plus postage, it becomes a hard to justify tbh.
Worked out almost the same as buying from Cockpit's EU vendors, and you'll still pay import duties on top. You could almost get an AVI G-1 and M-422A for the same price, or maybe rather refurb a beat up original... Still, a chunk cheaper than a top tier repro.
So, geography becomes a factor here.

AVI should have their ANJ-3 ready soon, and I'll be able to add that to the comparison.
Thanks for reading.
Great review! Thanks for sharing! Sizing is spot on! I have this one and the Top Gun too in a 44

Would you get the G-1 forrestal again (non-fur version) in a 42? Or do you plan to stick with the 100 Mission only moving forward? I’m eyeing it but not sure if it’s worth getting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk