Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit USA Government Issue WW2 thoughts...

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new A-2 and have my eyes on a Cockpit USA Government Issue WW2 A-2.

I just wanted to know what your thoughts on the jacket are and if those who actually own the jacket might be able to provide information as to the sizing and other features; basically an abbreviated (or detailed) review.

All help is much appreciated.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I rang Cockpit and asked for the shoulder widths of their various A2's. All way too wide. Shoulder width in a good indicator of poor patterning. If you are after a very small size then you probably need an A2 to be custom or it will probably look out of proportion. Sizing advice for small sizes will be quite different to standard sizing.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hey ‘jumper’,

Check out my thread about my Cockpit Gov issue A-2 here:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...e-cutters-flying-tigers-tribute-jacket.94380/

I like the jacket, very much. Even after a number of GWs, ELCs, AVI’s etc… its still one of my favourite go-too jackets. Well made, horsehide, decent components (Cockpit’s knit is ok, but not as nice as that found on top tier repros), robust and needs breaking in…

Note: Its not patterned or copied off any original WW2 A-2 jacket, rather its Cockpits version of the classic A-2 pattern. If you are not a stickler for WW2 original-maker authentic details, then these are great.

Sizing is strange… I am 5’11, 75kgs, trim, 40” chest, athletic shape. I normally wear a 40 in repros, occasionally a 42 if its a trim pattern (Dubow, Star, etc)
My Cockpit is 36 long! And fits comfortably, I could do with a touch more length, but that would require a 36 XLong…. never happen.
However, for the price these are going for… And depending where in the world you are… I think you have better options.

Platon’s Dubow (https://jadubowmfg.com/a-2-jackets/) is the best value, most authentic A-2 repro out there currently. Incredible value for an original maker, WW2 patterned, horsehide jacket. Crazy good deal… IF the pattern works for you. I like mine so much, I’m tempted to order a russet version!

Then you have AVI LTHR’s original maker Bronco 29119, (https://avilthr.com/product/a2-flight-jacket-seal-brown-bronco/) the updated veg-tanned version, just released this week. Apparently the website will be updated soon. Ive orders on and will have it in hadn’t by end of next week.

Sub 400 Euros, with discount for non-EU orders and I think free postage. Easy returns. Only Platon’s Dubow beats this jacket for price/authenticity/value.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
Hey ‘jumper’,

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...e-cutters-flying-tigers-tribute-jacket.94380/

I like the jacket, very much. Even after a number of GWs, ELCs, AVI’s etc… its still one of my favourite go-too jackets. Well made, horsehide, decent components (Cockpit’s knit is ok, but not as nice as that found on top tier repros), robust and needs breaking in…

Note: Its not patterned or copied off any original WW2 A-2 jacket, rather its Cockpits version of the classic A-2 pattern. If you are not a stickler for WW2 original-maker authentic details, then these are great.

Sizing is strange… I am 5’11, 75kgs, trim, 40” chest, athletic shape. I normally wear a 40 in repros, occasionally a 42 if its a trim pattern (Dubow, Star, etc)
My Cockpit is 36 long! And fits comfortably, I could do with a touch more length, but that would require a 36 XLong…. never happen.
However, for the price these are going for… And depending where in the world you are… I think you have better options.

Platon’s Dubow (https://jadubowmfg.com/a-2-jackets/) is the best value, most authentic A-2 repro out there currently. Incredible value for an original maker, WW2 patterned, horsehide jacket. Crazy good deal… IF the pattern works for you. I like mine so much, I’m tempted to order a russet version!

Then you have AVI LTHR’s original maker Bronco 29119, (https://avilthr.com/product/a2-flight-jacket-seal-brown-bronco/) the updated veg-tanned version, just released this week. Apparently the website will be updated soon. Ive orders on and will have it in hadn’t by end of next week.

Sub 400 Euros, with discount for non-EU orders and I think free postage. Easy returns. Only Platon’s Dubow beats this jacket for price/authenticity/value.

Thank you for the reply. So the cut and actual sizing of the jacket is the same as their regular A-2s and not more of an 'authentic cut'?

Brettafett

One Too Many
The WW2 Gov issue is a different pattern/ cut from their other A-2s, but still 'oversized', thats why you have to size down.
If you are referring 'authentic' cut, as WW2 authentic, then I would not buy from Cockpit. Thier patterns are their own, not copied off any original and developed with the 'model' man in mind ;)
If you size down, and go long... you can get a trimmer, more athletic profile and fit...
That said, there are easier, better, more authentic options, if you want more authentic patterns and detailing, as mentioned above.

Kennyz

Familiar Face
Hi Brettafett.

Can I ask what size did you get with Platon's Dubow? Is it best to go a size up with his jacket?

Thanks.

Ken

Hey ‘jumper’,

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi Ken,

Yes, I did. Although I usually wear a 40 in ELCs, GWs... I went up on this, mainly judging by the shoulders. I knew there'd be a bit of room in the body, but its actually super comfortable.
In fact, I wear original A-2s in 42 and AVI LTHR's Bronco in a 42 (thats copied off an original, so that makes sense)...

I was given these measurements:
size 40
pit to pit 21.5
shoulders 17.5
back 24.25
sleeve 25.25

size 42
pit to pit 22.5
shoulders 18
back 24.5
sleeve 25.5
The actual shoulder to shoulder is more like 17.75", which is fine, chest is fine, theres a bit of room in the waist, but thats correct for this pattern (and Aero for egs...)

Kennyz

Familiar Face
Thanks Brettafett.

Good info to know. So they fit much as an original would, pretty cool!

Thank you.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes, I did. Although I usually wear a 40 in ELCs, GWs... I went up on this, mainly judging by the shoulders. I knew there'd be a bit of room in the body, but its actually super comfortable.
In fact, I wear original A-2s in 42 and AVI LTHR's Bronco in a 42 (thats copied off an original, so that makes sense)...

I was given these measurements:
size 40
pit to pit 21.5
shoulders 17.5
back 24.25
sleeve 25.25

size 42
pit to pit 22.5
shoulders 18
back 24.5
sleeve 25.5
The actual shoulder to shoulder is more like 17.75", which is fine, chest is fine, theres a bit of room in the waist, but thats correct for this pattern (and Aero for egs...)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You'll note also a size 40 period A2 has an 18 inch shoulder but a Cockpit USA size 40 has a 21 inch shoulder. Three inches wider in the shoulder results in a much sloppier look.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Just had a look on Cockpit's website. A new Gov Issue WW2 A-2 (NOT copied off any original maker, but is Cockpit's interpretation of the classic pattern... Modernised a bit for today's gentleman), is $650 to $700. The 40th Anniversary Jacket is $680.
I think we all agree that these jackets are good quality and pretty solid, albeit not 'super' WW2 authentic...
Now compare that with Platon's Ja Dubow 27798 (meticulously copied off an original WW2 27798 A-2) for $510!!!
There simply is no comparison here, its a no-brainer, UNLESS you have fit/ sizing issues...
JADubowMfg actually took an original apart to get it as close as possible to the originals.
27798.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
They probably did copy an original to build the prototype, but as these things go, the patterns generally become standardised as they adapt the original for each different size and then you see some of the features flatten out. Take the pocket flaps from above - these are not replicated on the AVI jackets in the photos I can see. They are flat and not scalloped. Perhaps the updated pattern will be closer.

BRONCO.jpg

I think what you end up with as a jacket that is much more like a Bronco, but not exact. And that doesn't bother me as long as the patterning is trim.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Just before I ordered my updated 2019 AVI Bronco last week, Morten sent me these pics of the new jacket. Apparently, this was re-developed by a different supplier (after the fiasco last year, with everyone-and-their-cousin getting AVI's patterns in hand and making their own jackets, ie, copies of copies etc). Anyway, look at these flaps. Much better I recon. Looking forward to checking this jacket out.
IMG-20190330-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20190330-WA0001.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes those are better. This is the risk when you get things outsourced in the subcontinent. I've seen this with other jackets and their pocket flaps drifting into flatness. It will be interesting to see if the new jackets all look like that or if that is just the ones in the photos. Anyway they look pretty good as an A2 copy for the money - certainly I would not pay more for an A2.

How thick is the cotton lining?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto