Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cockpit USA mil spec G1 jacket

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Howdy y’all,

Just bought one of these and waiting for it to arrive. Any thoughts on this jacket? Is it really as trim fitting as Cockpit says it is? Decent quality?

kojax

Practically Family
this is my cockpit usa vintage goatskin going on 8 years old i still like it Photo on 9-7-19 at 11.56 AM #2.jpg

Attachments

• Photo on 9-7-19 at 11.56 AM.jpg
    Photo on 9-7-19 at 11.56 AM.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 1,683

thor

One Too Many
EE57AD46-1DCA-4F0D-BC52-2BAD85DD71CA.jpeg

I’ve got one of these Mil-Spec Cockpit G-1’s (patched up with various unit and qualification patches from my Navy career). It is definitely slimmer than their usual oversized G-1 jackets. However it does not have a seam at the front waistband (near bottom of zipper) that you see on almost every other military-issue G-1 (Cooper had a similar front panel design).

Deacon211

One Too Many
I tried on that jacket in Pensacola several years ago.

I didn’t so much find it “trim” fitting as I did “proper” fitting from a military standpoint.

If you like the waist of your jackets loose, then you might find it snug. But, I’m no string bean anymore and I did not find it ill fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Okay awesome and honestly this is all exactly what I wanted to read about this jacket! I’m looking forward to it arriving and hope it’s a true military fit and not too big or too small.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
I saw somewhere that someone made mention of how the sleeves are like 1.5” longer than the back length. In my experience, both measurements should ideally be the same, right? Does this cause a lot of knit tunneling on the arm?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
In my experience, both measurements should ideally be the same, right?

Sleeve and body length depend on what measurements you actually need, not any specific principles. Tunneling only happens if a sleeve is too long for you - body length makes no difference.

I would have bought a G1 from Cockpit but I suspect the tall size is too long and the reg is too short. In a 42 I need about 27 inch body length, but not 28 inch sleeves.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Sleeve and body length depend on what measurements you actually need, not any specific principles. Tunneling only happens if a sleeve is too long for you - body length makes no difference.

I would have bought a G1 from Cockpit but I suspect the tall size is too long and the reg is too short. In a 42 I need about 27 inch body length, but not 28 inch sleeves.

I ordered it in a 40L and they said body was 27” so I’ll let you know and take some pics when it arrives. Shoulder dimension bothers me a bit since they claim it’s 17.5” but hoping the bi-swing back will help.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'll be very intetested to hear back from you re measurements. Surely there's no way the shoulders are 17.5 inches? Sleeve length will be interesting too.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Also, thoughts on the goatskin stretching out a little if the jacket seems to be a little tight at first?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also, thoughts on the goatskin stretching out a little if the jacket seems to be a little tight at first?
In my experience this is part of what makes the G-1 jacket such a pleasure to wear. All of my G-1s have a trim fit and yet all of them are quite comfortable to wear and move around in. The natural elasticity of goatskin makes for a great jacket.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Okay, this beast just arrived and I honestly love it! Fits like a second skin. The mouton collar is so soft and the goatskin is super comfy! 40L was built for me!! I’ll send pics in a bit. I’ve had Eastman M-422A jackets which didn’t fit or feel this good! Only complaint I have is the front end makes it look a little like I’m pregnant, but maybe that’s just an indication that I need to take it easy on the suds hahahaha.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Okay, this beast just arrived and I honestly love it! Fits like a second skin. The mouton collar is so soft and the goatskin is super comfy! 40L was built for me!! I’ll send pics in a bit. I’ve had Eastman M-422A jackets which didn’t fit or feel this good! Only complaint I have is the front end makes it look a little like I’m pregnant, but maybe that’s just an indication that I need to take it easy on the suds hahahaha.

Congrats! Looking forward to the fit pics.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
upload_2019-10-27_11-31-1.jpeg

sorry for the delay in getting these on here. These were when I bought it and it had just come in the mail. Pics are literally right out of the package. Since I’ve worn it practically every night on the couch since then, it’s loosened up a bit and Strangely doesn’t look as long. Knots sit right on my belt line.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Looks good on you!

I think that the leather begins to crease and accordion as you wear it which will shorten it a bit. Though, having said that, I can’t see where the folding is occurring.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Yea it already has started to wear and crease thus causing it to ride a bit higher and look less ridged and more accurate. Maybe it’s just me being too critical, but i think the one piece construction makes it look a little baggier in the front. Again, something that has been sorted out a little with wear.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Yea it already has started to wear and crease thus causing it to ride a bit higher and look less ridged and more accurate. Maybe it’s just me being too critical, but i think the one piece construction makes it look a little baggier in the front. Again, something that has been sorted out a little with wear.

I have a Cooper now and had been issued a Cooper in the military. Both have that one piece in the front.

I think you’ll find that the lower piece will bend and curl a bit over time. The front of the jacket will “blouse” to match the sides and that tenting will go away a bit.

For me at least, the first weeks/months of wearing a new jacket are filled with obsession over how it’s breaking in. Often, new jackets sit on me like they were made out of a refrigerator box.

And then one day you wake up and begin to think, “Wow, this jacket looks pretty good.”

So, have heart...and wear the heck out of that jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB