Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coen Bros: No Country for Old Men

kbadr

Familiar Face
I've got 30 pages left to go in the novel and then I'm going to see the movie. From what I've seen of the trailer, they matched the tone of the book perfectly.

And there must be something about his writing style (or the creepiness of the characters) that makes the audience want to brandish a fire arm--for the last 2 weeks (since I started reading the book), I've felt the need to go to a firing range and try out some pistols again.

Recommended reading for those who dig this book/movie: The Phineas Poe Trilogy by Will Christopher Baer.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
kbadr said:
I've got 30 pages left to go in the novel and then I'm going to see the movie. From what I've seen of the trailer, they matched the tone of the book perfectly.

And there must be something about his writing style (or the creepiness of the characters) that makes the audience want to brandish a fire arm--for the last 2 weeks (since I started reading the book), I've felt the need to go to a firing range and try out some pistols again.

Recommended reading for those who dig this book/movie: The Phineas Poe Trilogy by Will Christopher Baer.

And then there are those among us who are able to separate fantasy from reality. We brandish brandy, ocassionally a cigar.

texasgirl

One Too Many
flat-top said:
I saw it and was riveted. I'm just mad at myself that I wasn't paying closer attention to Tommy Lee Jones' final lines. I wasn't expecting that to be the end.

Excellent movie! Saw it last night and it was quite intense, but really great! I just love good ole Texas movies, even though it was filmed it other areas too.

Also, I read somewhere the last words in the movie are the last words in the book, so go get a copy!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I just saw this movie on New Year's day and it was pretty much as brilliant a movie as I've come to expect from the Coen brothers. They really have started creating modern-day masterpieces - as can only happen when film-makers 1) don't go way over the top and 2) don't assume their audience are jackasses.

I too was a little disappointed by the ending, but what else would you expect from the Coens? Any more satisfying ending would have been an easy way out for them and would be completely contrary to what Coen filmmaking is all about!

There was a big gaff in the movie though that started to really bother me, and I can only assume that it is the result of editing. Or maybe the Coens did it on purpose just to bug the hell out of me :)

*ATTENTION SPOILERS*

Was anyone else surprised by the fact the Tommy Lee Jones' character never put 2 and 2 together about how the officer was killed at the beginning of the film? There was detailed discussion about the autopsy results on the officer's head wound. Later, he talks with a friend about the use of this special air gun used to slaughter cattle. I really expected him to put it all together. What do you guys think? Editing? Or intentional?

kbadr

Familiar Face
It was probably an editing mistake. In the book he definitely puts it together. At some point someone asks if they should do on an autopsy to find out the caliber of a gun used in a murder and the sheriff says not to bother because he won't find a bullet. He definitely knows in the book.

The movie was a very good translation of the book. And the ending of the book was just as weird/non-eventful as the movie. I think that was just the point, though. The ending wasn't massively significant or conclusive because the whole story is focusing on the randomness of crime and violence. It's always happened and always will but knowing that doesn't make it any easier to cope with.

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
One little thing

Not to pick at this film; but there was a scene when a gun is fired and car alarms go off. I was alive in 1980 and I just don't remember car alarms in 1980. I'm also not sure that H&K MP-5K/SP-89s were running around like that either; but that would be two little things...

The film was brilliant; It was gritty and intense with out too much gore. I love endings that you just don't see coming. Anton was one creepy hombre....

KittyT - I thought Tommy Lee Jones had put 2 and 2 together and that's why he was telling her so she's know exactly what kind of trouble Lewellyn was in.

Les

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Les Gillis said:
Not to pick at this film; but there was a scene when a gun is fired and car alarms go off. I was alive in 1980 and I just don't remember car alarms in 1980. I'm also not sure that H&K MP-5K/SP-89s were running around like that either; but that would be two little things...

My fella remembers hearing car alarms in the 1980s :) Might have also depended on where you lived!

MP5Kurtz and car alarms!

Yes the MP5K was developed in 1976 according to one historian and car arlarms were definately around at that time too. I can say by the early to mid-1980's car alarms were ubiquitous in most urban areas. The were pretty sensative, slamming your car door would set off one or more in the local vicinity. I recall a pick up truck backfiring and setting off a blocks worth of car alarms. (The saying was if you are in a parking sructure and a car alarm goes off nobody was there. as a variation of if a tree falls in the woods.)

Les Gillis said:
Les

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
The MP-5s were around from 76. I don't think that variant was it looked like an SP-89(Introduced 1989) as it didn't have the front pistol grip that was removed to make it legal for the civilian market in the US. Sorry, I didn't mean for this to get off topic.

Car alarms were out then too; Eagle Pass, Texas in 1980 wouldn't have been exactly "urban".

Back to the film....

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I remember being in New York in 1982 (maybe 1983) and setting off a car alarm ... I just about jumped out of my skin. I'd never heard one before.

Weren't the dreams that the TLJ character played really the summation?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I just watched the DVD and I thought it was excellent. There was a discussion on the Lounge about Coen Bros using hats as a metaphor for a soul or heart in "Millers Crossing" and I noticed similarities in "No Country For Old Men" as well. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Am I the only one who didn't see what the big deal was about this flick? It's okay but not as excellent as it's made out to be. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace