Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coffee Grinders

That’s pretty cool.

How well would they work for an espresso grind? I’m not in need of a grinder, seeing how there’s a good one built in to my espresso machine, but I dig vintage appliances and wouldn’t mind having one of those babes for that reason alone.
Fine enough for a Moka Pot, maybe for some low pressure home machines, but not for true expresso...I am afraid.

Great medm grind for most vac pots. Nice coarse grind for some perks or drips.

Has quite a large range actually.....easy to adjust.

In the other thread, I told you about my idea.
So, me and Ma now reactivated her older drugstore brand electric grinder (150 Watt) this morning. It's still working fine. But it's still more or less new-worthy, seldom used. I ground coffee the first time in my life, just trusting my eyes. I was suprised, that the result was a very nice, "smooth", fluffy powder, of course not Espresso powder.

I sponteanous grabbed a 1 kilogram bag of storebrand (Arabica) beans, yesterday. But I decided to start careful and choosed the brown "mild crema" beans for beginning, not the black mediocre stuff.

We decided for classic german dripper coffee, which is of course a suboptimal thing, but I wanted the comparison, of course and Ma usually drinks it for breakfast.
And what should I say? I was absolutely positive surprised about the taste! I didn't expected that!

Sure, the stupid dripper coffee is a strong, earthy caffeine brew and still not "my thing", but the taste itself was very tasty and you felt the "freshness"or whatever you would name it.

So, this starting combination worked very well and I'm little proud of myself. The next time, we will do the coffee way weaker than thoday. Today, it was a little strong, as Ma said, too. We had 6 1/2 cups water and circa 6 1/2 mass coffee

BUT, I will of course watch out for caffeine-free beans for myself, all the next time! That will be a longer search in terms of german supermarkets. And I will avoid Café HAG beans, because all folks report horrible taste.

But the whole thing itself was so positive surprising me, that I will get the drugstore grinder, now, too! The actual one now has a 200 Watt drive.

In the other thread, I told you about my idea.
So, me and Ma now reactivated her older drugstore brand electric grinder (150 Watt) this morning. It's still working fine. But it's still more or less new-worthy, seldom used. I ground coffee the first time in my life, just trusting my eyes. I was suprised, that the result was a very nice, "smooth", fluffy powder, of course not Espresso powder.

I sponteanous grabbed a 1 kilogram bag of storebrand (Arabica) beans, yesterday. But I decided to start careful and choosed the brown "mild crema" beans for beginning, not the black mediocre stuff.

We decided for classic german dripper coffee, which is of course a suboptimal thing, but I wanted the comparison, of course and Ma usually drinks it for breakfast.
And what should I say? I was absolutely positive surprised about the taste! I didn't expected that!

Sure, the stupid dripper coffee is a strong, earthy caffeine brew and still not "my thing", but the taste itself was very tasty and you felt the "freshness"or whatever you would name it.

So, this starting combination worked very well and I'm little proud of myself. The next time, we will do the coffee way weaker than thoday. Today, it was a little strong, as Ma said, too. We had 6 1/2 cups water and circa 6 1/2 mass coffee

BUT, I will of course watch out for caffeine-free beans for myself, all the next time! That will be a longer search in terms of german supermarkets. And I will avoid Café HAG beans, because all folks report horrible taste.

But the whole thing itself was so positive surprising me, that I will get the drugstore grinder, now, too! The actual one now has a 200 Watt drive.
Pictures, pictures!!! ;)
:):)

But it's kind of funny. I got now the direct comparison between my Ma's old drugstore grinder and my new one.

My Ma's grinds definitely faster. You got the most fine grind after 15 seconds. Mine needs 20 to 25 seconds. It must be the different shape of the grinding chamber, I think. The cover of my grinder is much higher than my Ma's and got the operator button in the cover. So, my Ma's grinder has much less "flying space" for the powder!

Ma's:

R.457f67eb39ae13e3e85411ff45b7d781

Mine:

3629475_Rossmann-Ideenwelt-elektrische-Kaffeemuehle_original.jpg

And the blades are different. Ma's got symetrical blades, mine got asymetrical blade ends.

mam_4825856_produktfoto_produkt_zoom_1.2.jpg

But finally, the coffee powder, you get, is finer than usual vaccum-packed supermarket coffee powder, I tell you! :)
And on mine, you can pick up a little amount of super-fine powder from the bottom.
Pics later, sorry!

Good for coffee turkish, very good for Moka pot, in my opinion. Sure good for german (bad) caffeine-pumpin' dripper coffee "brew"... ;)
AND it was the right decision for me, to start carefully with the mild beans. And it's actually tasting so good for my taste, that I don't plan to do stronger beans.
And the 1 kilogram bag will def. last for some months, I think half a year.

I can now tell def. one difference!
The fresh ground coffee hasn't this little "musty" taste, the vaccum packed ground coffee usually has.

And the storebrand beans cannot be that bad. My "mild" sort tastes very well, for my taste. It has kind of a nutty and full-bodied aroma.
NO need to change, for me. :)

Now here my pics, as I promised:

That's my good tasting coffee, when it's grounded through. The finer ground between is from the "corners" of my simple electric grinder, where I pick this goodness up with my fingers. :)

Altogether not too bad. I'm still pleased!

Attachments

• IMGP6994.JPG
    IMGP6994.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMGP6992.JPG
    IMGP6992.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 79

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ