Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold/Cough Remedies?

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
It's that time of year again in the states.

I have a sore throat and a cough and I hate to say it, but the snow on my car kept me from going and getting cough syrup.

I'm interested in how they addressed colds and coughs in the Golden Era. I saw Thelma Ritter's character in the Mating Season wrapping hot towels around Mr. Callinger's throat.

Of course, there is lemon, honey, hot teas, soup and lozenges.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
My grandmother used to make a cough syrup with this recipe:
2 T honey
2 T whiskey
2 T lemon juice
Mix the ingredients together and take one teaspoon at a time. :D

J.B.

Practically Family
Although a pre-Golden Age tonic, I've always been partial to the cough-mitigating efficacy provided by a big 'ol shooter of Dr. Rogers Syrup of Liverwort & Tar & Canchalagua?!...

rogersscovilcanchalaguagw5.jpg

It always seems to leave me feeling more "hopeful."

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let us not kid ourselves!...

The one and only cough suppressant that works, works well, and works every time is the
Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide mixture called Buckley's.
buckleys.jpg

True to it's slogan; "Its tastes awful. And it works"

Try it, you'll hate it! But you won't cough!

-dixon cannon

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Honey helps since it is so similar to the thick cough syrups in viscosity. A zillion years ago when I worked at Road & Track the publisher, John Bond, told me what his doctor told him for a cough. It was simply, take sips as needed from Robitussin.[huh]

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The only cough syrup that works for me (that I've tried) is Umcka Cold Care. The active ingredient is pelargonium. People were probably using it in the Golden Era--just not in the U.S.

I also take Mucinex when I feel a cold coming on, and it gets rid of the cold in a day.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Recently I fought off a cold I could feel coming on. Here's what I did:

Airborne (3x daily) in a bit of water
Emergency (2x daily) in a bit of water
Zicam nasal spray (3x daily)
Mucinex (2x daily) to help with the tiny cough and congestion I had (most likely due to a bit of post-nasal drip related to the Zicam gel)
Water, water, water, water (sounds gross, but you should be having clear urine - that is how you know you are drinking enough)
Sleep!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was a wee lass with a cough and a cold, I could always expect to receive --

Colds: a liberal smearing of Vick's Vapo-Rub and a washcloth taped to the chest at bedtime.

Coughs: A spoonful of Father John's Medicine. And a second one if I spit the first one out.

Both of these fine products are still around, but now that I'm grown up I don't have to take 'em if I don't wanna. So there.

Foofoogal

Banned
And a second one if I spit the first one out.
my mother used to do this with cod liver oil as a spring tonic
:eek:fftopic: not for coughs.

Vicks on the chest with a rag and for fever sweating with 100 blankets.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
More things to do in this nasty time of year:
The humidifier: Cold air can only hold a fraction of the humidity that warm air can, that's why we get so dried out this time of year. Keep the humidifier going.
Bundle up: Head, hands and feet, those are the things you need to take care of. It makes me laugh here in New York when I see some swanky looking gal in a huge overcoat and tiny high heeled shoes that leave her ankles bare. Not a good way to stay warm.
Fluids. Drink plenty of liquids, it's easier than drinking solids!
Light: It's getting lighter now, but darkness leads to depression, which undermines the immune system. Get some photons in your face on a regular basis. THAT is the real purpose of Christmas, by the way.
One of my favorite things for the throat not mentioned yet is Slippery Elm Bark lozenges. Great stuff, and real old fashioned.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
yes, humidifiers are fantastic!!! i don't actually have a real humidifier, so i've been running my crockpot full of water (and some eucalyptus EO) for the past few days since i've been in bed sick. i feel like my throat is much less dry and sore when i wake up than it has been in past sicknesses! if you don't have one (but do have a crockpot), i highly recommend you try this.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Bundle up: Head, hands and feet, those are the things you need to take care of. It makes me laugh here in New York when I see some swanky looking gal in a huge overcoat and tiny high heeled shoes that leave her ankles bare. Not a good way to stay warm.

I wore sandals today due to bursitis. Surprisingly, my feet weren't that cold. Must be the thick sole.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Hot Toddy

1 & 1/2 ounces Whiskey
1 ounce Honey
1/3 ounce Lemon Juice
3 ounces Water (Hot)
If you have a microwave, the easiest way to make this drink is to warm the honey and lemon juice for about half a minute and then to add hot water and the whiskey. Otherwise, stir the honey and lemon juice into extremely warm water, allow it to cool slightly, and add the whiskey.

...then settle in for a long winters nap;)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
For those of you who have used Airborne, something to consider:

"There's no credible evidence that what's in Airborne can prevent colds or protect you from a germy environment," David Schardt, a nutritionist at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, said in a written statement this week. "Airborne is basically an overpriced, run-of-the-mill vitamin pill that's been cleverly, but deceptively, marketed."

The herbal supplement of vitamins and minz was created back in 1999 with the intent of helping to fight off colds.

It was invented by Victoria Knight-McDowell, a second-grade teacher who according to the product's site, "studied the benefits herbal therapies used in Eastern Medicine." The company also claimed it "boosts the immune system with seven herbal extracts and a proprietary blend of vitamins, electrolytes, amino acids and antioxidants."

Back in March 2006, after an ABC News report revealed that the company's clinical trials were not conducted by doctors or even scientists, Airborne changed their advertising campaign when a plaintiff filed suit against them.

Turns out the "clinical trials" were just conducted by two random individuals!

Shortly after, advertisements for Airborne stopped mentioning the clinical studies and the cold-curing claims. Instead, Airborne began advertising itself as helping to boost the body's immune systems.

Airborne will now be fighting off cash collectors for a total of $23.3 million to settle the class-action lawsuit brought against them.

Those suing claim the company provided false advertising since it could not be proven that Airborne actually helps prevent colds.

Then in late 2006 the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), a non-profit advocacy group, joined the suit as co-counsel against Airborne. Later in 2007 the FTC and some attorney generals began investigating the cold-preventing claims as well.

The CSPI said the Airborne company will have to refund money to consumers who bought its product, and it will pay for advertisements in large publications with instructions on how to get refunded.

To learn more information about how to receive a refund if you've purchased Airborne, CLICK HERE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner