Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Shearer

Practically Family
Whoops! Sorry I didn't see this yesterday! To answer the Clinique question... I used one of Clinique's 3-step skin care lines. It had a bar soap, a clarifying toner, and a moisturizer. I have sensitive skin, and while it didn't cause me to break out, it sure didn't help in clearing up any problems. The soap by itself was really drying, but I'm sure that effect is different from person to person.

As far as using the cold cream for a makeup remover or daily cleanser, I've definitely done both. I find it takes off eye makeup really well where other makeup removers tend to make my eyes go wonky.

I use my cold cream daily as a cleanser, especially in the winter now when it is very dry. I've noticed that if I get lazy about my daily cold cream routine, my skin will dry out and turns sensitive again.

Hope that helps! :)

I have to agree with that! I use mine as a daily cleanser & when I have missed a day I can really tell the difference. I am, however getting quite a few spots on my chin the past few days. Luckily they aren't lasting too long, but cold cream makes blackheads disappear hurrah! If only you knew how many years I have spent trying various products to get rid of them bad boys lol

Mary

Practically Family
I have been looking all over town for cold cream but the closest I got was Jergens All purpose Face cream. Is this simular to cold cream?

http://www.amazon.com/Jergens-All-Purpose-Face-Cream-425g/dp/B0002F1H6E

The ingredients are mineraloil, water, beeswax ,magensium aliminium silicate, sodium borate, fragarence, isopropyl myristate, dmdm hydantoin, red 4.

Fun reading;) I know but I really would appreciate if you could tell me if this is something like it.

I so envy you. You can find it everywhere.

Cold cream just seems like a miracle and I'm dying t give it a try.

M

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
Mary,

Jergens All Purpose Face Cream can be considered a cold cream in my opinion.

Here are the ingredients on the label of my Pond's Cold Cream:

mineral oil, water, beeswax, ceresin, , sodium borate, fragrance, carbomer

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Several months ago, my skin just seemed to respond to nothing!

I went to my local department store, and around $200 and many samples later, I came home with milk, toner, two moisterisers, a mask, an exfoliator and serum, all claiming ot help my skin.

They certainly did help, but I still deal with redness and irritation and itchyness.

Whilst cleaning my bathroom cupboard out not long ago - there they all were!

i am tempted to put them all in a box and go the cold cream, and the nivea for a while. I have recently gone " back to basics" with my hair, maybe my skin would benefit too.

Sometimes I think the old way was the better way!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
RedShoesGirl said:
it probably sounds nuts, but i mix salt or sugar in my cold cream about once a week for a nice dermabrasion. rinse with warm water and regular wash cloth. takes off the dead skin and leaves my skin feeling very fresh. i am older than most of you girls here and need all the help i can get trying to make my skin look good.:)

rsg

Not nuts at all - I use brown sugar to exfoliate my scalp since i dont use shampoo. Works a treat!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
cherry lips said:
I saw SarahLouise had also used clinique - on your avatar you have the most beautiful skin ever!

I wish that was me! lol My avatar is the actress/singer Deanna Durbin.

I used Clinique for a few years and it definitely did help my skin. I used the 3-step routine for combination/oily skin and switched to the Anti-Blemish range half way through which surprisingly wasn't as good as the previous routine, especially the moisturiser. I then switched back to the oily range. I would recommend Clinique to anyone but I simply was curious about the cold cream/witch hazel routine as everybody seems to get such great results from it. So to clarify, I didn't stop using Clinique because it wasn't working, I just wanted to try something new!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
SarahLouise said:
I wish that was me! lol My avatar is the actress/singer Deanna Durbin.

I used Clinique for a few years and it definitely did help my skin. I used the 3-step routine for combination/oily skin and switched to the Anti-Blemish range half way through which surprisingly wasn't as good as the previous routine, especially the moisturiser. I then switched back to the oily range. I would recommend Clinique to anyone but I simply was curious about the cold cream/witch hazel routine as everybody seems to get such great results from it. So to clarify, I didn't stop using Clinique because it wasn't working, I just wanted to try something new!

I have used, and currently still do, Clarins and Clinique. Both very nice. With an extra nice price tag out here in Australia too.....

If my $6 pot of Nivea is going to work just as well as my $70 Clarins....I'll go the nivea!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for your reply, ladies. I have quite a lot of clinique stored away, and since it's cost me a pretty penny, I figure I'll wait till I run out before switching to the cold cream regime. This thread will sure come in handy when I do!

Mary

Practically Family
I've tried the cold cream over the weekend and I am beginning to feel hopeful. Yesterday I had it on for maybe half an hour and that made a difference I think. You all seem to have it on for maybe one minute. Can you have it on to long? I'm truly a beginner with skincare so a don't know.

I'd also like to ask if you rub it around in the face och just put in on your skin and let i stay there for a while? Can it really clean if it still on the face? Or do I put bacterias in the pores when I rub it about?

Now I'm going to hunt down some witch hazel! If someone in the nordic countries have a tip where to find some, please let me know. Have been to the major shops, the pharmacy and the afro-american shops already.

M

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I went the Dove "Deep Cleansing Cream" tonight - apparently Dove replaced Ponds in Australia. :(

Then I put the Nivea on - it was a little greasy when I was done - and I was worried of having more oil than the Exxon Valdez. But, half an hour later. all had blended in! No tight feeling, no red blotches, no feeling of any effects wearing off quickly.

Im going to make a blend of olive oil and castor oil and give it a try!

Mary said:
I've tried the cold cream over the weekend and I am beginning to feel hopeful. Yesterday I had it on for maybe half an hour and that made a difference I think. You all seem to have it on for maybe one minute. Can you have it on to long? I'm truly a beginner with skincare so a don't know.

I'd also like to ask if you rub it around in the face och just put in on your skin and let i stay there for a while? Can it really clean if it still on the face? Or do I put bacterias in the pores when I rub it about?

I'm new to this cold cream thing, so I'm no expert, but I leave mine on for anything up to 15 minutes, depending on what I'm up to [huh] I smear it on my skin, then give it a bit of a massage, especially on my nose where I had a lot of blackheads & my chin, where I get spots & my cheek where I have a particularly stubborn patch of dry skin, then just leave it for a bit. It made me break out in spots on my chin after the first few days, but surprisingly, they disappeared in no time at all. On the rare occasions I have a relax in the bath, I put the cold dream on before getting in, do my business & then put a hot flannel on my face for a few minutes, but I haven't noticed this making a particularly big difference, it just feels nice.

As I say, I'm no expert, but this works for me :)

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
dollydaydream said:
I'm new to this cold cream thing, so I'm no expert, but I leave mine on for anything up to 15 minutes, depending on what I'm up to [huh] I smear it on my skin, then give it a bit of a massage, especially on my nose where I had a lot of blackheads & my chin, where I get spots & my cheek where I have a particularly stubborn patch of dry skin, then just leave it for a bit. It made me break out in spots on my chin after the first few days, but surprisingly, they disappeared in no time at all. On the rare occasions I have a relax in the bath, I put the cold dream on before getting in, do my business & then put a hot flannel on my face for a few minutes, but I haven't noticed this making a particularly big difference, it just feels nice.

As I say, I'm no expert, but this works for me :)

that happened to me when i first started using cold cream. the breakout thing. which one do you use? i use the boots own traditional one and they have a moisturising cream that goes with it. i find that if you use that after you wipe off your cold cream last thing before you go to bed it works beautifully. certainly makes a difference for me and i seem to have exactly the same skin issues that you do.

also in between the cold cream and moisturiser i use a dab of distilled withchazel (once or twice a week cos it's kinda strong) on problem areas and then a bit of rosewater and glycerin which seems to keep my skin all nourished.

i've been doin that for a year and my skin is wickedly smooth-tastic now!

sophia la shok said:
that happened to me when i first started using cold cream. the breakout thing. which one do you use? i use the boots own traditional one and they have a moisturising cream that goes with it. i find that if you use that after you wipe off your cold cream last thing before you go to bed it works beautifully. certainly makes a difference for me and i seem to have exactly the same skin issues that you do.

also in between the cold cream and moisturiser i use a dab of distilled withchazel (once or twice a week cos it's kinda strong) on problem areas and then a bit of rosewater and glycerin which seems to keep my skin all nourished.

i've been doin that for a year and my skin is wickedly smooth-tastic now!

I use the Boots one too!! I love Boots too many. Almost as much as Primark :eek: I didn't have enough pennies for the moisturiser when I got the cold cream but I don't want to shove too much stuff on my face because things are going ok at the moment & I know how temperamental my body is! I use witchazel after my cold cream in the morning, but not at night. My face slips towards my neck if I don't do that and nobody likes cheek mascara - it's not sexy apparently [huh]

I'm just really worried about putting anything on my face now because the cold cream appears to have solved years of skin problems that the latest face wash/scrub/cleanser didn't help at all. Yay cold cream!

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks dollydaydream for your response. I have had some cold cream on for half an hour so maybe it's enough. Actually got hold of some witch hazel as well and feel so happy. Will try that to. Now I'll wait a week and then evaluate.

M

Smuterella

One Too Many
RitaHayworth said:
Not nuts at all - I use brown sugar to exfoliate my scalp since i dont use shampoo. Works a treat!

Hi Rita

Can you tell me more about this brown sugar thing?

I'm so intrigued as am trying the conditioner only thing but my scalp gets itchy

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
Hi Rita

Can you tell me more about this brown sugar thing?

I'm so intrigued as am trying the conditioner only thing but my scalp gets itchy

I sure can!

I have naturally curly hair, and after it driving me crazy, gave in and tried.
How long have you been on it? You need to hang in there for at least 3/4 weeks to notice a change and for your scalp to "normalise".

With the scrub - I get a table spoon of brown sugar to tablespoons of conditioner. I wet my hair, and massage it into the scalp. Gives me volume, definition and soft hair.

I also use Apple Cider Vinegar and Bi Carb soda to "wash" my hair with. But not together.

Your scalp will get itchy - apparently a touch of lavender oil soothes it or just "spot clean" - where you wash with conditioner only

Also - make sure you use nothing with a silicone in it. Ie: Dimethicone, Amodiethicone, Cyclopethisxane (or something!) etc. If it has a PEG in front of it - that is silicone that is water soluble!

PM if you need further help!!!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I must have looked funny at the super market as these were in my trolley:

1 bottle extra virgin olive oil
1 bottle Witchhazel
1 bottle Apple Cider Vinegar

Ready to take home to brew up my potions!!

OOps! Cant forget the box of tea leaves for the teapot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21