Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
DDD, I don't think any of our Nivea is made in Mexico, so I wouldn't worry. I also wouldn't use it after cold cream, because that is probably too much, but that is just me.

DDD and Smuterella, get a tub of Boots CC. It's only £2.39 so if you don't like it, you've not lost much!

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I wandered in here and I've been trying OCM. I really liked it initially, but my skin has been in a state I've never experienced before.

I used to be (and still am) really really really dry. My skin is tight and in the harsh climate of Ohio, it actually gets flaky.

But, I have breakouts on my chin and under my jaw. I heard that cold cream can help with that and I'm interested it trying it. It also might be less drying than the OCM. (I have some issues with the hot water).

Do you ladies do both treatments alternately or just one? Thanks!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
my daily routine

I have combination skin and here's my routine and only do this at night.
I put on a thin layer of Pond's cold cream.
I leave that on a couple minutes while I brush my teeth.
Then I remove the bulk of the cold cream with a make-up remover towelette. (I usually buy the generic)
Next I'll wet a washcloth with warm water and finish removing the cold cream with that. I also think the warm washcloth helps to open up the pores. Sometimes I'll re-wet the washcloth with more warm water to be sure I get all the cold cream off.
I finish my routine with a cotton ball soaked with my homemade rosewater/glycerine/witch hazel toner.
I've been doing this routine over 6 months and have had good results.

lyburnum

Practically Family
I swear by Ponds cold cream. I have tried so many other brands, particularly for sensitive skin, but ever since I've been using Ponds my acne has almost completely cleared up (aside from the occasional blemish). My skin is super sensitive and also combination, making it a nightmare most of the time. I make my boyfriend bring me over Ponds cold cream when he visits. An $8 tub lasts me months and months. Boots doesn't stock the big pots here anymore unfortunately. They stock tiny 75ml glass tubs, but they charge £4 for them, which is ridiculous when I can get 269g for $8. Once my boyfriend and I get married ima make his Mum ship me over the cold cream when I run out :rolleyes:

I also use E45 moisturizer in the mornings before I apply my makeup, and this has made a big difference too as it's nowhere near as oily as many of the other brands I've tried (nivea was by far the worst).

SarahLouise

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
Ok, so my foaming facial cleanser & million in 1 toner tingy should be binned & I get me some cold cream. I'm just so confused!!

My skin is terrible, I have lots of little dry patches on my cheeks (I get quite bad eczema) and have to be careful about what I put on my face as some make the dry bits red. I have blackheads on my nose, which also is quite dry in the mornings, but many people are saying that cold cream is good for the blackheads. I assume it moisturises too(???)

I'm also a bit skint at the moment so I'd appreciate any cheapy recommendations!!! I know I can get bottles of witch hazel from superdrug and similar places yus, so that is taken care of (I use this after using the cold cream?). Nivea in a blue tin, not made in mexico???

I started using the cold cream method a few months ago and thoroughly recommend it. However, I used the rosewater and glycerin toner from the Boots traditional range when I first started which made me break out horribly after a few weeks. I literally had five new spots every day and my skin was in very bad shape. I think it was too greasy for my combination skin. I've now switched to distilled witch hazel (which you can get from your local pharmacy for £2, I couldn't find any in Boots/Superdrugs) and my skin cleared right up.

Everybody has their own preferred routine which works well for their skin and I know that some people just rinse off the cold cream without washing with skin cleanser afterwards but I have to otherwise my skin feels too greasy. I use Clinique's liquid facial soap for oily skin but once that runs out I will most likely switch to something cheaper. As for moisturiser recommendations, I flip between Clinique and a really cheap oil free one from Boots skin clear range which is actually quite decent and is a good base for foundation. Seeing as you have sensitive skin though perhaps try the Simple range?

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I know we can't post live auctions, but there are some vintage cold cream containers made of milk glass on ebay.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
DDD, I don't think any of our Nivea is made in Mexico, so I wouldn't worry. I also wouldn't use it after cold cream, because that is probably too much, but that is just me.

DDD and Smuterella, get a tub of Boots CC. It's only £2.39 so if you don't like it, you've not lost much!

Fleur, is the Boots one better than Ponds?

lyburnum

Practically Family
Yeah I use it all the time to remove my eye makeup.

If any of the UK ladies want some Ponds let me know, I'm going to stash up myself for the year when I'm back in America in months time. :D

SarahLouise

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Can you use cold cream to remove eye make-up?

Apparently but I personally would never use it near my eyes as it's too rich. My eyes are very sensitive to cream based eye make-up removers so I can only use a non oily liquid formula (I swear by Simple's one). If you look through the thread I think Daisy and a few other people had eye infections when they tried it near their eyes though.

Thanks Fleur, I may try the Boots one when my Ponds tub runs out! The tub is very cute.

Day off work & a trip into town to buy some cold cream:eusa_clap

I've been using E45 wash stuff on my face for the past few days, in the same way as some of you are using the cold cream and it's been great! My skin still feels a little tight but not half as dry as it was before, it's odd,my skin feels soft, but it still has this funny dry feeling too. AND it cleans my make up off amazingly well (I just smear it all over my face before taking my makeup off because I'm lazy).

So E45 Wash is a good substitute for cold cream. But I'm off to Boots to buy a pretty tin now.

:eek:fftopic: My boyfriend & are are buying a house with plenty of room for my girly bits and bobs. I know it's completely irrelevant but I'm so excited at the amount of time I will be able to spend with various lotions & potions on my face, in a lovely new bathroom. lol

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Shearer said:
FYI, don't leave Ponds in the trunk of your car on a warm day :eek: The oil WILL leak out onto your Boots lip glaze and other purchases lol

But seriously, out of all the stuff I tried on my skin over the years Pond's has worked the best... and I'm wondering if it's not a coincidence it has the shortest ingredient list of everything I've tried.

I used Clinique for a long time only to be told it was for "mature skin." Burt's Bees caused me to go red and bumpy all over, so that was out. So I just used soap and water for a while and got by on that, but when I tried Pond's I actually improved.
Hmm. I've never heard that Clinique is for mature skin, is that so? I used to have adult acne, but only get a few spots now and then in the same places (some shallow, some deep). I've got combination skin. I've been using the Clinique 3-step (w acne spot treatment) since I was 18, and now I'm 26! I guess I've never dared to switch since it's stabilized my skin, more or less. What are your experiences w Clinique? Does it strip the skin terribly?
All this cold cream talk is tempting, but I live in Sweden where I believe we neither have Ponds nor Boots. I saw SarahLouise had also used clinique - on your avatar you have the most beautiful skin ever! We do have Lush - can Babyface replace cold cream, Fleur de Guerre?

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I forgot to say, I don't use make-up every day (far from it). Is cold cream to recommend as an everyday cleanser or just as a make-up remover? I've read this entire thread (!) but haven't found the answer to that.

Also, I'm going to try nivea as en eye cream at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ