Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Helen Troy said:
So, I bought Ponds on the net and started the regime. In the beginning, I really like the feel of it and my skin was pretty good. But after using it about three-four weeks, I experienced the worst breakout I have had in years!

I went of the cold cream, and has almost not used it for three-four weeks. No difference in skin, though, it is still as bad.

Sorry if I gross you out, ladies, but I am desperate and have a question: Do you think the breakout can be Ponds fault? At first I thought so, but should it not have been better by now, after I stopped using it? And, now matter the cause, does anybody have any advice that can help me?

Exactly what was your routine when you were using the Pond's? And then what was your routine after you quit using the Pond's? It might give us a better idea what could of happened. Hormone problems will also contribute to breakouts.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Anything could be causing your breakout. If you've stopped the Ponds and you still have issues, it's probably something else. Look at everything you are putting on your face. I wish I could give you more advice but I can't. I'm past the breakout stage even though I do still get a blemish or two if I dont' take off my makeup. Be gentle with your skin until the breakout clears. You could be making it worse by trying a bunch of different products. Go back to what you were doing before the Ponds and see if that will clear things up.

Sunny

One Too Many
Okay, I want to try this again and make it work. I have adult acne like at least one other lady on here has mentioned; it was pretty under control using Micro-Retn-A or whatever it's called (prescription cream). A couple weeks or a month in, I started really breaking out all over, on my cheeks, my forehead, my hairline, my chin; except for the last, places that I usually don't break out. It kept up, and I finally quit CC after 2-3 months. That was last fall.

I'm trying to work out what routine is recommended, and I have questions:

1. Morning, night, or both? If only once, what at the other times?
  2. Remove makeup first? With what?
  3. Wet skin or dry skin?
  4. Massage it on and remove it at once, or let it sit for 30 sec, 60 sec?
  5. Remove with tissue or washcloth (wet, damp, or dry)?
  6. Toner - witch hazel (what strength?) or something else?
  7. Separate moisturizer? How many times a day?

I'd really like your opinions, and what worked for you and what didn't. I want to make this work, and since I'm breaking out again it's not as if CC causes all of my blemishes. :p

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I don't know if you were referring to me, but at 48, I still have some adult acne. But since I'd started using the Pond's my skin is a whole lot better. I've used a lot of different facial cleansers in the past, but none have worked as well Pond's. I only use the Pond's at night because it really deep cleans the make-up off my face. This is my routine (forgive me, if I've posted this here before):

Put on a thin layer of Pond's cold cream on my dry skin.

Let it set while I brush my teeth.

Take a baby wipe to remove the worse of the make-up--it really gets the mascara off.

Then I dampen a washcloth with very warm water and finish wiping off my face. The washcloth acts as an exfoliator too and works very well with my sensitive skin. (using a tissue never completely got the cold cream off and my face did breakout a little.)

Then follow it up with a cotton ball dampened with Thayer's Rose Water Witch Hazel. (this stuff is quite inexpensive and leaves my skin soft and smells wonderful!)

In the mornings I usually wash my face with my regular shower gel and if needed, use the witch hazel again.

I find that using the cold cream twice a day is just too much for my skin.

Hope this helps.

ChezPez

New in Town
Hey ladies!

Sorry, I've been traveling for a bit, so I didn't get a chance to thank all you ladies for the help! Really, thank you! The Pond's has been going MUCH better. Didn't irritate my skin at all like Bigelow's version did. I still need to pick up a toner, especially now that it's summer. But I've been alternating between Pond's and my Aveeno face wash in the mean time, so that's seemed to balance it out. I have to ween myself off the face wash. Baby steps.

I'm thinking about trying the grapeseed oil though. I'm working up the courage to try it. I know, it probably wouldn't be so bad, but I'm a bit of a pansy when it comes to new products for the face.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
GoldLeaf said:
I have oily skin, and no, this doesn't make it worse. I only use the Pond's at night, massage it into my skin for a minute, and then take a warm wash cloth and gently massage off the cream. I then use a non-alcohol toner to remove the residue, and follow with a night cream. In the morning I cleanse my face in the shower with a gentle cleanser, use toner to remove the residue, and then use Oil of Olay as my daily moisturizer.

The routine in the morning keeps the heavier oils from the Pond's from remaining on my face during the day. Just using it at night helps a ton!

Sunny, hope you don't mind, I quoted myself so I don't have to type it all again, I am lazy lol Here are more details

I use Nivea's Alcohol Free Toner to remove the residue from the cold cream. I then use Oil of Olay's Night Moisturizing Cream

In the morning I use Ponds Pristine Clean in the shower. I use the Nivea toner when I get out of the shower, and I follow that up with Oil of Olay Complete

Maybe even more than the Ponds CC at night, I think the fact that I stopped stripping my face with drying acne treatments really helped. Even the moisturizer I used had salicylic acid in it.

That is the routine I follow on the days I can be bothered. Most days, I don't wash my face at night :eek: Shame on me, I know. But I don't wear makeup most days other than my eyebrows and mascara. [huh] I wash my face in the shower, forget the toner (absent minded!) and put on the Olay Complete. Even doing those few things work quite well for me. I remember my CC at night once or twice a week ::hangs head in shame::

My skin was at its worst when I cleansed and scrubbed with grit and stripped and spot-treated the holy living heck out of my skin. It broke out all the time, and I couldn't figure out why. I was mean to my poor face!

Blondie

Practically Family
I know Fleur De Grace uses the Baby Face from Lush, and so do I, it's a solid cleanser in the shape of a little face, " A bar for cleansing the face with cocoa, avocado and she butters, coconut oil, and toning tangerine to melt away makeup and daily grime, leaving you with soft skin. Remove with warm water and a cotton ball " its amazing, so may be worth trying if the cold cream isnt working for you. All their products are great, especially the bath stuff, just dreamy !!!!!!!!! Bathos bubble bar, smells like violets and jasmin and Sex Bomg bath ball are just 2 of my fave's.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Thanks to you all for helping!

BonnieJean said:
Exactly what was your routine when you were using the Pond's? And then what was your routine after you quit using the Pond's? It might give us a better idea what could of happened. Hormone problems will also contribute to breakouts.
I used it nigh and morning, massaged it in and then removed with hot water and terry cloth. Then i removed residues with tonic. (I tried different brands, with no noticeable difference in skin. I alternated day by day, so it is not like a specific tonic causes the breakouts.) When I had time, i left the CC on for a while in the shower or while taking a bath.

I found that the CC left my skin not stripped and tight, but not greasy either, just natural smooth. I liked that sensation, and did not use any moisturizer. I did not feel the need to.

I suspect that hormones are to blame in my case. I liked the CC feeling, and I think there is common sense to not stripping to much. So when my skin clears up, I will give CC a second chance.

Sunny

One Too Many
BonnieJean and GoldLeaf, that helps immensely. I think I tried doing it twice a day at one point, and I know I never really got down the knack of using a washcloth; I tried tissues. I know that it still felt pretty slick after using the tissues.

BonnieJean, where do you get your Thayer's? I've got some plain witch hazel in a bottle like rubbing alcohol; what percent witch hazel do you recommend? Full strength seems a wee bit harsh.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

Sunny,

I get my Thayers at iherb.com. You can see it here. It also has aloe vera in it. If you type in Thayers in the search section on this website, you can find other witch hazel products by them. I think they have a lavendar version too, but I haven't tried that.

The Thayers comes in a 12 oz bottle and lasts quite a while. I put some of it into a smaller travel size bottle so its easier to handle and packs great in a suitcase.

Good stuff!

(I think its also available on other websites, just Google the name.)

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Sharing a little tip:

I've just began to use cold cream as an added moisturizer for
my entire body. I get the drug store brand since it is less expensive
and after washing my body...I then add the cold cream to my legs,
arms, neck, stomach, back....let it sit for a minute then rinse....
I then use a washcloth to go over the applied areas.

Now...your body will have that 'oily' feel right after the bath.
However, I do suggest this be done at night because then you
can slip into bed afterwards and wake up to seriously soft skin.

I do this 2-3 times a week. I have found that it makes my skin
feel smooth & soft, and the dryness has gone away.

It's just an added benefit for moisturizing. I saw an episode of Oprah
not to long ago and this gorgeous women who looked to be 65 shocked
the audience when she said she was pushing 80! Her big secret was
moisturizing.....along with spiritual cleansing on a daily basis.
She told the audience "Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize!"

That is when I began to think how to add another extra 'oomf' to my
moisturizing routine. This full body cold cream at bath has been
successful for me.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
ChezPez said:
Hey ladies!
I'm thinking about trying the grapeseed oil though. I'm working up the courage to try it. I know, it probably wouldn't be so bad, but I'm a bit of a pansy when it comes to new products for the face.

As far as the oil cleansing method goes, grapeseed oil probably the best to start with. It has a really light feeling to it. I've found castor oil to be the heaviest, though it's supposedly the best deep pore cleanser. Olive oil is good for dry skin...I ended up using a moisturizer after using pure grapeseed oil. Try experimenting a little with different combinations. Adding a drop or two of either lavender or tea tree oil helps with breakouts with the calming and antibacterial properties of the essential oils.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Bath and Body Works is having their semi-annual sale. I was in there a few days ago and picked up some Bigelow Rose Wonder Cold Cream...a little (.7oz) jar of it for $1.25 (I bought 3 jars) and love it. The rose smell gives it what I might call a vintage smell. If anything, the small size makes for a great travel size.

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
Ooh I definitely want to try the Bigelow's Rose Cold Cream! I use the Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel that I got at Henry's after several failed attempts at Rite Aid, Target, and CVS. I love cold cream because I have the driest skin ever. Thanks to all you ladies I am hooked on cold cream and witch hazel!

ChezPez

New in Town
Just a word of warning to those picking up the Bigelow's! It really irritated my skin, and has some weird ingredients. I do have sensitive skin issues, though, so it might not be a problem for everyone, but I thought I'd put it out there.

GlueGunGeisha- thanks for the info about the oils! I feel alot better about trying it out now that I know a little more about it. I'll let you know how it goes!

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
i started to use boots "traditional" glycerine and rosewater after my cold cream. it's really helped. it gives a little added softness to my skin to top up that of the cold cream.

i also started using it on my elbows cos i'm hoping to get them tattooed soon and they need softening up. so the ink will stay in well. and it's worked a treat. now i use a little when i get dry hands too. it's perfect.

Mildred

New in Town
My all time favorite

My favorite cold cream is Pond's for dry skin. It makes my skin feel butter soft. I use a washcloth and warm (not hot) water. I have been using it for years and I think it made my skin look younger.

roots66

One of the Regulars
ChezPez said:
GlueGunGeisha- thanks for the info about the oils! I feel alot better about trying it out now that I know a little more about it. I'll let you know how it goes!

I've tried the OCM for the past few days and I really like it! I used the basic olive oil/castor oil mix as recommended in most online articles. They often suggest blending 25% EVOO to 75% castor oil if your skin is oily, the reverse if it's dry--since mine is kinda combo I just went 50-50, and I haven't found them to be particularly heavy.

I'd say the results have been comparable to those of cold cream. One difference I do notice, though, is that once the oils are washclothed/rinsed off, my face feels somewhat more...refreshed I guess is the word I'm looking for, than it does after CC. Perhaps the beeswax in CC imparts a little more heaviness? Not saying one sensation is better or worse than the other. I'm as spellbound by the old-fashioned glamour of CC as anyone, plus it's not as messy/spillable as OCM, so I'm sure I'll still want to use CC regularly.

As with any regimen, YMMV. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this major pizza ingredient won't turn me into a pizza face. But hey, if it's good enough for Sophia Loren...

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Just A Question....

I really am geniunely interested and not trying to upset anyone, but why would you want a cold cream? I understand the appeal of a vintage look, but with all the advances in skin care, why would you choose what is basically a plain moisturizer instead of something that protects your skin or offers anti-aging benefits?

Now, I'm not saying it has to be a cost issue, there are options available in the drug store, even if I can't say whether or not they work as well as some other department stores lines (I'd have a hard time believing it, personally, because I think you get what you pay for.)

It just seems to be that these vintage style face products clog your pores and are a blanket group and not good for all skin types. Maybe you can explain the appeal to me.

Again, not trying to offend....I'm just trying to understand.

Thoughts?

Shearer

Practically Family
NoirDame said:
I really am geniunely interested and not trying to upset anyone, but why would you want a cold cream? I understand the appeal of a vintage look, but with all the advances in skin care, why would you choose what is basically a plain moisturizer instead of something that protects your skin or offers anti-aging benefits?

Now, I'm not saying it has to be a cost issue, there are options available in the drug store, even if I can't say whether or not they work as well as some other department stores lines (I'd have a hard time believing it, personally, because I think you get what you pay for.)

It just seems to be that these vintage style face products clog your pores and are a blanket group and not good for all skin types. Maybe you can explain the appeal to me.

Again, not trying to offend....I'm just trying to understand.

Thoughts?

Oh, I don't think you're offending anyone! :) I know there are ladies here whom cold creams don't work for. It's just a matter of finding out what works best, I think.

Speaking personally, I have have sensitive skin so the wrong lotion of makeup will turn me red and make me itch. But other than that I don't have any skin problems like acne. In the past I'd used the Clinique 3 step for a long time, and then tried Burt's Bees (which made me red and itchy) and then plain old soap and water for a long time.

I read some good things about Pond's and thought I'd give it a whirl, fully expecting it to NOT work, but since I've started using it my skin's never looked better. I follow it up with witch hazel, and I don't even have to use a moisturizer anymore... which is great, cause sometimes I get dry skin.

Really, it seems like it's just luck of the draw sometimes [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112