Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Daisy :eek: I am sorry that happened to you.

I had a similar situation about a year ago. I wasn't using Pond's then, but I wasn't making an effort to get all my eye makeup removed, either. My eye doctor also told me to use baby shampoo. I haven't used it yet because I haven't had any stye problems since I became more dilligent about removing my makeup. However, one of the ladies in my office was having a problem with small styes and she started using baby shampoo, and she says it works very well for her.

All this news about Ponds makes me want to :cry:

BonnieJean said:
Well, I'm going to stick with the Pond's for now. I've NEVER had my face look as well as it has the past two weeks since I've switched to the Pond's. I've had adult acne for a long, long time (the only 'youthful' thing left on me!) and finally my skin looks great! The other night it looked like I was going to get a couple of pimples on my cheek, but I went ahead and did my usual nighttime cleansing routine: put Pond's on face, let it soak in while I brush my teeth, remove Pond's with a warm washcloth, and follow-up with rosewater witch hazel. The next morning, there wasn't any sign of a breakout. I also have sun damage to my nose and it used to peel year round. I had given up and decided I would live with a peeling nose for the rest of my life, but the Pond's has even made a dramatic improvement in that--no more peeling nose!

It looks like there are two camps when it comes to using cold cream/mineral oil. Some "experts" state that its been given a bad rap, and others say it really is bad for you. For me, unless I really start having problems with my skin, I'm keeping the Pond's. I've tried many cleansing products, but I sure wish I'd tried this years ago!

Dito!!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Oh My Gosh, I started using Pond's after reading this thread a couple of months ago and I think I have a stye. I just had to dictionary.com it because I didn't even know what they were but I have their weird red spot under my left eye and I was wondering if I had skin cancer or something?!

I love how the Pond's makes the rest of my face and neck feel but I will get some different eye makeup remover.

Thanks for the info Daisy and all!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Barbigirl said:
Oh My Gosh, I started using Pond's after reading this thread a couple of months ago and I think I have a stye. I just had to dictionary.com it because I didn't even know what they were but I have their weird red spot under my left eye and I was wondering if I had skin cancer or something?!

I love how the Pond's makes the rest of my face and neck feel but I will get some different eye makeup remover.

Thanks for the info Daisy and all!

A stye is actually like a little pimple. They form in the pores and folicles of your eyelid. They can form in your lash line or on the inside of your eye lid. If you have a hard little white bump that looks just like a pimple, you have a stye.

I can usually scratch my little ones to make them pop and then I use hot compresses to help draw out the crud. But I don't know if that is sanctioned as safe or not :) Hot compresses are safe, however.

Of course, styes can get quite large and painful, and end up swelling your eye shut. ::shudders:: A very unpleasant experience that I hope doesn't happen again any time soon!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
GoldLeaf said:
A stye is actually like a little pimple. They form in the pores and folicles of your eyelid. They can form in your lash line or on the inside of your eye lid. If you have a hard little white bump that looks just like a pimple, you have a stye.

I can usually scratch my little ones to make them pop and then I use hot compresses to help draw out the crud. But I don't know if that is sanctioned as safe or not :) Hot compresses are safe, however.

Hmmmm, well I have had those before. This one is different, maybe I will get it checked out.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
She recommended eye make-up remover pads made by Almay or facial cleansing cloth's made by Dove. They are hypo-allergenic and oil free. I use the ones made by Dove. They do a great job removing my make-up and my skin feels very nice and soft since I started using them.
The Dove cleansing cloths are wonderful! I had a sample pack and used it the other night. It removed so much of my makeup that when I went to use my toner hardly any dirt was left on my face to go onto my toner's cotton pad. I was planning to by some Pond's when I finished with my current stuff but I think I will for sure go with the Dove after hearing your and your opthamologist's feedback.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Pond's Cleansing Towelettes

Pond's has a few cleansing clothes that are just wonderful. I use the exfoliating cucumber ones and they take the residue of the cold cream off with no problems. The don't seem to dry out my skin and they aren't harsh in anyway. I know that there is another type that comes in pink packaging but they were very drying for me.

I don't remove my mascara at night. I do remove my eye shadow. Whatever mascara comes off is what comes off. I don't make a point of trying to get all the mascara off. I use cetaphil bar soap in the shower on my face. It's the only time I use soap of my face.

I'm pretty happy with the way my skin has been since using Pond's. It's really soft and the fine lines and wrinkles seem to have plumped up alittle.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Okay, I just went out and bought some Ponds as well as a Billie Holiday CD so I am going to listen to her while I put all this on my face. :D

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
I absolutely swear by Pond's... I tend to use it only at night though, and remove with a warm, moist washcloth, and use an exfoliating lemongrass cleanser in the morning, as my skin tends to get a bit shiny during the day. I still tend to use Clearasil benzoyl peroxide for the occaisional acne flare-up. I've used Pond's for ages, and always get compliments on my skin... thankfully I've never run into stye problems as some of you have... thats curious...

The best thing that cold cream cleansing has done for my skin is to get rid of blackheads... I had such a problem with them on my nose in my mid-teens, and tried everything to get rid of them... finally cleaning with Pond's did the trick!

I've tried other brands of cold cream, but always come back to Pond's... I think half of it is because I adore the smell so much! lol

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
I would probably second a few of the earlier replies (in this and other related threads), suggesting to stick with the Pond's brand if you're new to the stuff. Although the ingredients are nearly the same, the Jergens version caused my skin to break out after a short while. :(

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Just my 2 cents...

I started using Ponds about 2 weeks ago because of this very forum and I've had no problems with it. At first I was using it twice a day, but found that it left my face feeling like it had a thin layer of blotchy grease on it. I've gone down to once a day at night right after I shower. I don't use it as a makeup remover -- that gets done in the shower! But I do use it to get off any makeup residue and to just make myself feel good! And it works! Not only that, but the skin on my face is SO SOFT! My husband can't get over it!

Goodie2Shoes

New in Town
I wish I had such discipline--I do absolutely nothing for my poor face and that's probably why I'm dry and red and just plain awful. So perhaps I'll try the cold cream idea...I have no idea what I need or where to start. There are so many suggestions here and I don't have an endless budget...I've got drawers full of beauty products I thought were going to be used but NOPE! This girl needs to take some time for herself....off to Walgreen's I go.....but shhhh don't tell Hubby!

Kimberly

Practically Family
I just want to say that I have been using the Ponds to take off my makeup since Saturday and I do notice my face is softer and it takes off a lot of makeup without drying it out. It's funny because I bought a bunch of Ponds moisterizers on clearance at CVS (probably enought to last me a year) so I have been using Ponds products for about 3 months now. Now I use Ponds for everything. :D

pretty faythe

One Too Many
artdecodame said:
I would probably second a few of the earlier replies (in this and other related threads), suggesting to stick with the Pond's brand if you're new to the stuff. Although the ingredients are nearly the same, the Jergens version caused my skin to break out after a short while. :(

I use the Jergens. The first few days I had a bit of a break out, but thats basically normal with any change of facial regiman for me. Since then, no prob at all.

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
I RESURRECT THEE

for anyone in the know,

would the Pond's Cold Cream Cleanser be the same as the normal Cold Cream that everyone is talking about?

i'm off to go buy some tomorrow and they only have the cold cream cleanser variety in the UK i think. In Boots anyway.

Shearer

Practically Family
Emmababy said:
for anyone in the know,

would the Pond's Cold Cream Cleanser be the same as the normal Cold Cream that everyone is talking about?

i'm off to go buy some tomorrow and they only have the cold cream cleanser variety in the UK i think. In Boots anyway.

I'm not sure if the product packaging is the same, but this is the stuff you want. Watch which one you grab, too. The last time I went to buy it I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and grabbed the cucumber version :eusa_doh: which is not the same.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Emmababy said:
for anyone in the know,

I bought the Cold Cream cleanser because it came in a larger tub then the other one and had spanish words on it and it seems to work the same as the cold cream does.

badleekitty

New in Town
This post is so interesting I always wondered what that cream did that my Grandma always had it on her dresser. No offense but I always thought it was just for older ladies. I always enjoyed the smell of the cream since I was a little girl. I use the ponds cleansing cloths and they are really great they get all my makeup off really good. I think I will pick some up and give it a try like the rest of you lovely ladies. I am just wondering if it will make my face greasy. As it is my skin is kind of oily so I am wondering if this product will make it worst. I am also looking for a good moisterizer do you girls just use this or do you use this and another moisterizer with it??

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
oohh i was just about to ask that moisturiser question.

I bought the Cold Cream Cleanser (last one in the store) I assume its the same product but they just added the cleanser part on the end for a newer market to actually explain what it's for.

I tried it this evening and it's amazing! I also bought a bottle of distilled witch hazel as my toner and i reckon this is the perfect skin regime for me.

I think i am going to change my moisturiser now though as i don't need one quite so rich. Off to the moisturiser thread i go and browse peoples suggestions.
Thank you for all the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21