Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
If you can get hold of it, add borax to the wash. Cuts through grease but is gentle enough to use on any fabric. About 1/4 cup will do.

Also good for handwashing. Excellent for drawing dirt out of woolens, especially pale colours. Just soak along with usual wool detergent for 10 minutes and see all the dirt in the bottom of the bowl! Rinse as usual.

kinghipposcrown

New in Town
Daisy Buchanan said:
That's cool you are working on the promotions for "The Starter Wife". My parents play golf with Debbie Messing's parents and have been friends for quite some time. I've heard great buzz about her upcoming endeavor and am looking forward to it. I don't know Debbie, but I've spent time with her parents, they are such sweet people. Every time she premiers something, they invite all their friends over for a party. They are really sweet. It's good to know about the free ponds stuff, thanks for that. I love ponds. My mom swears by the stuff, she has been using it since she was old enough to use cold cream.

It makes sense that her parents are great, because she Debra appears to be a very nice, level headed woman. Well if you want a chance to meet her, the other contest we're promoting can get you red carpet premiere tickets to see The Starter Wife. Check out the links for the Starter Wife 40s and Fabulous Contest presented by Ponds.

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/starterwife/sweepstakes/sweeps.html

Shearer

Practically Family
I might just become an overnight devotee of this Pond's cold cream! I picked some up the last time I was at a drug store because of all the hype, thinking that it couldn't hurt to try. I was just doing the ol' soap and water routine thinking that was good enough because I'd get a few compliments here and there on my skin.

I decided to try the Pond's out tonight because it was a heavy makeup day. Double mascara, cream eyeliner, foundation, eyeshadow, the works. I was shocked... SHOCKED :eek: at what came off of my face! My washcloth looked like a Pollock painting lol

Now I'm wondering just how much makeup was even coming off with the soap and water. I did the one minute mask like some of the ladies here suggested and topped off with little witch hazel, though I don't use a toner very much. Actually, I really like the scent of Pond's so unless my skin has some weird reaction in the next couple of days I can definitely see this replacing my moisturizer altogether.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
;) Thanks to you lovely ladies I too have switched to Ponds. I really like it and I just use witch hazel after cleaning off the cream. It does leave somewhat of a greasy residue but I just like to think that it helps keep premature wrinkles at bay;)

Magen

olive bleu

One Too Many
well. i guess this a good thread for me to be in as i am returning after a bit if a hiatus to the FL, and also to pond's!

I have missed all you ladies, so much...i moved just before Christmas and took me a while to get my computer set up again.and then it crashed and had to be sent to the "hospital" for awhile :)

I had been using "Honey Cream" from L'Occitane for a while , but as there is not a boutique here, i always had to order it online.I am on a strict break from my credit cards, as i used them too much(out of necessity) when I was working part-time, so i am really trying to not use them till i have them paid off(ohh the agony..no online shopping, no e-bay!!:eek: )

So, when i knew that I would have to settle for something from a drugstore, i immediately went to Pond's.My Mother used it all her life, had has the world's softest most supple skin(at 65 yrs).I too, find that using an astringent after cleansing, really helps if you have oily skin. I have oily patches( forehead) and this really works.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I have to try Ponds Cold Cream now, and I have to get it from ebay since it`s not avaliable in Norwegian stores. Is there any difference between "Ponds Cold Cream Cool Classic" and "Ponds Cold Cream Deep Cleanser"? What about the cucumber one? I am confused and wondering what to buy.....

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Welcome back Olive! we missed you!:)

Has anyone tried using their Pond's as an eye mask? I did this a couple days ago and left it on for ten minutes while I was doing a face mask, and rinsed both off together, and wow! I was so bright eyed after! I normally don't look at my eyes and think ugh, but after the ponds 'mask' they were OMG WOW! looking. I love Pond's!:D

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Is there any difference between "Ponds Cold Cream Cool Classic" and "Ponds Cold Cream Deep Cleanser"? What about the cucumber one? I am confused and wondering what to buy.....
Today 12:08 PM
Helen Troy, the "traditional" Ponds is the Cold Cream Cool Classic". That's the stuff that I use and a lot of gals here use it too, I believe. I haven't tried the cucumber one, but since I don't particularly care for cucumbers, it didn't appeal to me. The Deep Cleanser is exactly that, a deep cleanser. You might just want to try the regular "classic" one first. And if you're wanting to add a toner afterwards, witch hazel is great and I just got some Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel. It also has Aloe Vera and Vitamin E in it too. I have combination skin and this stuff feels wonderful on my face after cleaning it with the Ponds. I got a large bottle (12 oz.) from iHerb that will last me quite a while and its reasonably priced too! And the rose smell...aaah (swoons).
Here's the link to the witch hazel if you want to look: http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?c=Herbs&pid=THA-07003

I've used the Pond's/witch hazel "treatment" nightly for over a week now and its true, my pores ARE noticeably smaller and I didn't break out like I thought I would. I had a couple of small breakouts at first, but I think my skin was getting used to the change. I clean the Ponds off with a warm washcloth and then use the rose petal witch hazel. Its a nice smell to drift off to sleep with!

olive bleu

One Too Many
CanadaDoll said:
Welcome back Olive! we missed you!:)

Has anyone tried using their Pond's as an eye mask? I did this a couple days agi and left it on for ten minutes while I was doing a face mask, and rinsed both off together, and wow! I was so bright eyed after! I normally don't look at my eyes and think ugh, but after the ponds 'mask' they were OMG WOW! looking. I love Pond's!:D
that's a fabulous tip, CanadaDoll, I will have to try that for sure!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Question about toner...I have been using an Aveda toner which is $20, and it consists primarily of witch hazel, peppermint oil, and rose oil (or, if not oil, then something like that). I assume something like this can be had much more cheaply. Any recommendations?

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I've had good luck with Nivea for sensitive skin, in the toner department, costs about 7$ so I can't much complain about the price:D

roots66

One of the Regulars
Alternative cold cream

Just bought my first jar a couple of days ago--wanted to wait until I saw it on sale (most Toronto pharmacies regularly charge 10 bucks for Pond's, which seems bloody outrageous to me). So far so good...but still, it's hard to get over the fact that I'm schmearing mineral earl all over my face. Mind you, I've never had a problem with the stuff before--I've used Vaseline as an eye makeup remover for over 20 years, and mineral oil has been a key ingredient in many of the body lotions I've tried with no ill effects--but so many "experts" advise against the substance that I guess I've taken a little of their skieviness to heart.

I've seen some recipes for homemade cold cream using jojoba oil as the main ingredient. Has anyone tried this, and/or do any "natural" cosmetics companies make a commercial version?

Re: Bella's Q about toner--seems to me the Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel that others have raved about in the "vintage-ified beauty routine" thread would work just as well. I've been having good luck with apple cider vinegar--diluted with water, though, 'cause if used straight its fumes are enough to knock a body out.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
roots66 said:
Re: Bella's Q about toner--seems to me the Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel that others have raved about in the "vintage-ified beauty routine" thread would work just as well. I've been having good luck with apple cider vinegar--diluted with water, though, 'cause if used straight its fumes are enough to knock a body out.

thanks! now i need to find someone who carries it so i don't have to pay $5 for shipping.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
roots66 said:
Just bought my first jar a couple of days ago--wanted to wait until I saw it on sale (most Toronto pharmacies regularly charge 10 bucks for Pond's, which seems bloody outrageous to me). So far so good...but still, it's hard to get over the fact that I'm schmearing mineral earl all over my face. Mind you, I've never had a problem with the stuff before--I've used Vaseline as an eye makeup remover for over 20 years, and mineral oil has been a key ingredient in many of the body lotions I've tried with no ill effects--but so many "experts" advise against the substance that I guess I've taken a little of their skieviness to heart.

I don't keep up on beauty stuff that much, why is mineral oil a no-no according to the experts?

roots66

One of the Regulars
Thayer's

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
thanks! now i need to find someone who carries it so i don't have to pay $5 for shipping.

You might try a health foods store with a decent-sized "personal care" section. I've only ever seen it at the health food store actually. Whole Foods (a.k.a. Whole Paycheck) might even carry it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points