Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well, I decided to give the cold cream & witch hazel "diet" a try. I had always figured it would just be way too greasy, but then I also realized that sometimes the simple approach works best, so why not? I set aside my usual foaming cleanser, salicylic acid scrub, astringent, and light moisturizer. I used the cold cream and followed up with witch hazel last night and again this morning in the shower. For a moisturizer, I used a tiny amount of the Nivea cream and just patted it onto my face. All I can say is wow! I'm definitely impressed. My skin doesn't feel greasy at all, it feels great and very clean. Normally when I wake up in the morning, my skin feels very greasy, but not this morning. I think that because of all the harsh products I was using, my skin was probably producing way more oil to compensate. I don't get many blemishes, but I do have a constant battle with blackheads on my nose. I cannot get rid of them no matter what I do, but this morning many of them were gone. I'm going to stick with this for a while and see how it goes. It'll definitely be less expensive! If I want to stick with a "golden era" philosophy, I can still use my Queen Helene mint julep and mud masks as needed, as those are both 1930s products and quite inexpensive.

On the Nivea cream, CVS and Walgreen's both had the small metal tins - but both were made in Mexico. I had to go to Wal-Mart to find the German-made tins. They were less expensive there anyway - 88 cents opposed to $1. So, just make sure you check the back of the metal tin because not all of them are made in Germany. Also, Walgreen's had their brand of cold cream on sale - $3.99 for a 16 oz tub. I picked it up and I do really like it, it seems less greasy than the Pond's and much less costly. Walgreen's also had a big bottle of witch hazel on sale for $1.99.

Also, regarding use of cold cream - all my old magazines recommend applying a layer and then removing it with either a washcloth or tissue, and then "rinsing" with another layer applied and removed. I have also read several ads recommending that the second layer be left on for one minute as a mask. I've tried that and I like it.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
We always used cold cream to take off stage make-up when I was in college-- I think that's probably the last time I touched the stuff. Hmmm, with all these rave reviews, might be worth picking up a tin and giving it a try.

Does it contribute to acne? I've been having some real issues with acne on my forehead this summer.

Honey Doll

I use Ponds only in the evening to remove makup. I remove it with a warm wet washcloth and then use Oil of Olay's basic toner (which is mainly witch hazel) so I think I will just switch to WH when it is used up. In the morning, I use Olay's basic Alphy Hydroxy cleanser and Olay's original moisurizer.
Since many of you are using CC in the mornings too, with good results, I may give it a try. Every so often I will do an Olay mask to deep clean and a microdermibrasion to remove dead skin.

I don't get many blemishes, but I do have a constant battle with blackheads on my nose. I cannot get rid of them no matter what I do, but this morning many of them were gone.

I turned my 16yr old step daughter on to Ponds and she had the same results after using every kind of black head remover with no success.Now we both LOVE Ponds!:D

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I have heard somewhere before that the only thing that can disolve oil is OIL, so I guess that might explain why it could dissolve the hard oil plugs that blackheads are...

Caledonia

Practically Family
Wow, my own question about Cold Cream answered and then some. Thanks ladies. Thanks for the recipe Tourbillion. I'll try that once I've tried a commercial cream first I think. And I love that jar too Fleur. It's off to Boots for me!

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
At night I apply Pond's cold cream before getting into the bathtub. The heat from the warm water kind of "melts" it. Afterwards, I remove it with a warm, damp washcloth and follow with Thayer's alcohol-free Rose Petal Witch Hazel, then eye cream (L'Oreal currently) and Jergen's All-Purpose Face Cream. I also like the Nivea Creme in the blue tin (Made in Germany).

In the morning I just use Thayer's alcohol-free Rose Petal Witch Hazel on a cotton pad, followed by eye cream and then Paul & Joe Protective Foundation Primer SPF 30 before applying my Besame Souffle Foundation and the rest of my makeup. It's quite warm and humid here now. In the winter I use more moisturizer.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
what not to do with cold cream

Saw this in the move Rebecca. I wonder if this brand is still available?

Rebecca1.jpg

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I haven't seen that type before, but Queen Helene does make one, it is available at Sally's and is called "Triple Whipped" or something along those lines...

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
it probably sounds nuts, but i mix salt or sugar in my cold cream about once a week for a nice dermabrasion. rinse with warm water and regular wash cloth. takes off the dead skin and leaves my skin feeling very fresh. i am older than most of you girls here and need all the help i can get trying to make my skin look good.:)

rsg

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Are there any less greasy cold creams out there?

I've been using it morning and night for 2 days now and so far I am loving the results. However, in the mornings I use it in the shower and it is making my bathtub all greasy.

Maybe I'll just have to reserve cold cream usage for the sink area.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
DancingSweetie said:
Saw this in the move Rebecca. I wonder if this brand is still available?

Rebecca1.jpg

I LOVE that movie!! That was such a funny scene. I was like "she's putting out her cigarette in COLD CREAME???

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I have oilier skin and have always loved a scrub, but I started to alternate that with cold cream (as a cleanser) about a year ago, and it's great! I'll sometimes get some at the 99 cent store. I usually alternate Witch Hazel & Hydrogen Peroxide as toners.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
Are there any less greasy cold creams out there?

I've been using it morning and night for 2 days now and so far I am loving the results. However, in the mornings I use it in the shower and it is making my bathtub all greasy.

Maybe I'll just have to reserve cold cream usage for the sink area.

Ponds has a lighter version of a creme, which you might use in the shower and alternate with the regular cold creme...

http://www.pondssquad.com/deep_cleanser.asp

magneto

Practically Family
RedShoesGirl said:
it probably sounds nuts, but i mix salt or sugar in my cold cream about once a week for a nice dermabrasion. rinse with warm water and regular wash cloth. takes off the dead skin and leaves my skin feeling very fresh. i am older than most of you girls here and need all the help i can get trying to make my skin look good.:)

rsg

Actually that sounds like a great idea! it would exfoliate without being harsh/astringent on the skin. And not nuts, considering all those fancy-schmancy "sugar scrubs" and so forth you see on the market nowadays...

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
I noticed that the first ingredient in Pond's Cold Cream is mineral oil, which is something I try to avoid, but I would like to try a cold cream that doesn't have mineral oil in it. So I think I will try Tourbillion's cold cream recipe; it sounds really nice!

--Leslie

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
OK--so you are telling me that you all use cold cream in place of a facial cleanser/soap? And then do you put on moisturizer--like and SPF or something afterwards?

I'm just fascinated and very willing to try this. I've only used cold cream to get off stage make up in the past.

This is a fascinating thread and I'd love to try it for getting rid of blackheads too.

You lounge ladies are the best!

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Ponds Cold Cream

I just wanted to say thanks again to Jitterbug for recommending Cold Cream to me because my face looks alot better feels better no more painful acne.It makes every pimple crubble right off it's great!I do have to use witch hazel every night but it is very nice and helps with the redness i have on my face.Also i use to use the old fashion jergens with the three womans faces on it, under my makeup i noticd it has the same exact ingredients as ponds so it works to remove makeup as well it smells good to and the cream is pink in color, it might also be cheeper then ponds just thought i would let all the lady's know :) .

Miss Dottie said:
OK--so you are telling me that you all use cold cream in place of a facial cleanser/soap? And then do you put on moisturizer--like and SPF or something afterwards?

I'm just fascinated and very willing to try this. I've only used cold cream to get off stage make up in the past.

This is a fascinating thread and I'd love to try it for getting rid of blackheads too.

You lounge ladies are the best!

Yes, Ponds replaces your regular soap or cleanser. I use Oil of Olay moisturizer in the day, and Olay night cream at night.

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I used to be afraid of mineral oil too, but recent studies have shown that mineral oil is not comedongenic! See below:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=25025

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/106/108253.htm

I have "acne-prone" skin and using cold cream (with mineral oil) has not caused me any breakouts!

Also, even if ya' like her or hate her, here is what Paula Begoun "cosmetics cop" has to say about it:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article.asp?PAGETYPE=ART&REFER=SKIN&ID=47

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo