Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
CherryRed said:
Yes, Ponds replaces your regular soap or cleanser. I use Oil of Olay moisturizer in the day, and Olay night cream at night.

I'm going to Walgreens to pick up some RIGHT NOW! I'll make sure to get the blue tin of nivea too--metal and not made in Mexico.

You ladies are the best!

Thanks an bunch!

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I just went to Walmart and bought the Nivea tin, but all they had was the kind made in Mexico. It is too greasy for my face, but I am going to use it on my elbows and hands. My hands look older than I do. I will try Walgreens next time though.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
Ponds has a lighter version of a creme, which you might use in the shower and alternate with the regular cold creme...

http://www.pondssquad.com/deep_cleanser.asp

I almost bought this last time I was at the store, but I notice that it contains alcohol and more ingredients than the regular cold cream, and it didn't get very positive reviews on MUA. My solution was to just use the cold cream in the sink and not in the shower/bath area, as it just makes things too greasy and slippery.

Miss Dottie said:
OK--so you are telling me that you all use cold cream in place of a facial cleanser/soap? And then do you put on moisturizer--like and SPF or something afterwards?

I'm just fascinated and very willing to try this. I've only used cold cream to get off stage make up in the past.

This is a fascinating thread and I'd love to try it for getting rid of blackheads too.

You lounge ladies are the best!

I've been using it for about a week now. I cast aside all my regular soaps, foaming cleansers, scrubs, and toners, and vowed to use only cold cream and witch hazel on my face (along with my staple Queen Helene masks). I'm very impressed with the results. My skin looks much more clear, moisturized, feels fantastic, and my blackheads are almost entirely gone - not a small feat! I apply a layer of cold cream, wash it off with a warm washcloth (exfoliating gently), then apply a second layer and let it soak in for 1-2 minutes. In many of my WWII-dated women's magazines, the ads for Pond's recommend this as a "One Minute Mask." Then I rinse it with a warm washcloth and apply witch hazel toner on a cotton pad to remove any excess greasiness. My skin is producing much less oil than it was before and I only have to use a tiny amount of moisturizer if any.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
fortworthgal said:
I apply a layer of cold cream, wash it off with a warm washcloth (exfoliating gently), then apply a second layer and let it soak in for 1-2 minutes. In many of my WWII-dated women's magazines, the ads for Pond's recommend this as a "One Minute Mask." Then I rinse it with a warm washcloth and apply witch hazel toner on a cotton pad to remove any excess greasiness. My skin is producing much less oil than it was before and I only have to use a tiny amount of moisturizer if any.

A-ha! For some reason I always pictured cold cream as more of mask. I'll have to try it.

I always think of those old cartoons or scenes in 1930s/40s movies when a lady runs out of the house in her dressing robe, hair in either rag curls or pin curls and a heavy layer of cold cream on her face. Now I fear I'm turning into that! Hee hee!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The Pond's cold cream is also a good eye makeup remover. Why is it cold cream? It feels warm on my skin.

I use Queen Helene mint julep mask, too. For an exfoliant, I use Jason's tea tree oil liquid soap and a bit of corn meal with some water. Refreshing!

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
If I remember correctly it is "cold" cream because it is cold processed. Prior creams used organic (animal-tallow) fats or wax (beeswax) that had to be melted when mixed. Cold cream developed in 1907 uses mineral oil in its Water-in-Oil mixture along with surficants to bind the water to the oil.

As I said, this is what I remember, but would have to look it up to be positive.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
VanillaT said:
Yeah, I have heard somewhere before that the only thing that can disolve oil is OIL, so I guess that might explain why it could dissolve the hard oil plugs that blackheads are...

Yeah--kinda like dry cleaning.

And the mineral oil made me think about that Bare Escentuals line of make-up products taht supposedly are so easy on your skin that it actually will improve your skin. Hmmm...I wonder what minerals are used to make mineral oil. I bet there is some connection...

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Mineral oil or liquid petrolatum is a by-product in the distillation of petroleum to produce gasoline. It is a chemically inert, transparent, colorless oil composed mainly of alkanes and cyclic paraffins, related to white petrolatum (better known to us as Vasoline). Mineral oil is a substance of relatively low value, and it is produced in very large quantities. Mineral oil is available in light and heavy grades, various levels of refinement, and can often be found in drug stores with fragrance marketed as "baby oil".

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Miss Crisplock, I don't see how you could cold process cold cream, it contains beeswax or parafin (Ponds uses beeswax). You have to process those with heat since they are solids. Right?

So, why is it called cold cream?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paisley said:
The Pond's cold cream is also a good eye makeup remover. Why is it cold cream? It feels warm on my skin.

I use Queen Helene mint julep mask, too. For an exfoliant, I use Jason's tea tree oil liquid soap and a bit of corn meal with some water. Refreshing!
I swear by Ponds. My mom and Granny have been using it forever,, they both swear by it. It is a great make-up remover. I also use the ponds cleansing pads, soft little pads that have a cleanser built in. Just add water, and they are very gentle on the skin and great make-up remover. Dove makes a very gentle face cleanser pad like this too that works very well.

I think that it makes my face feel pretty cool, but that's just my opinion. I like the smell of it. It reminds me of being a kid, when my mom would come and tuck me in just after putting Ponds on her face! Nostalgia, that's always a good reason to use a product!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Ponds cold cream has the scent of old garden roses. (I grow several old garden roses and enjoy the scent.) D'lovely! (Wish I knew a better French-sounding expression to throw in there.)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Only slightly OT, but I had to run into Target today at lunchtime and discovered that they have their own brand of witch hazel - exact same ingredients as Dickinson's - for $1.32 for a 16 oz bottle. It is in the pharmacy area near the band-aids and rubbing alcohol. Not a very pretty container, but the price is great and I figure I can refill my Dickinson's bottle when it is empty.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
The cold cream question deserves a better answer than the one I've given. As I said I was basing the answer on memory, which it seems is not always up to snuff. Unfortunately, any of my texts that contain formulations are a state away, but not to dispair! I expect to be home tomorrow, and will make a few phone calls.... I'm sure one of my more resourcefull friends will be able to fill me in, and I should have a difinitive answer by early next week at the latest.;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've done some searching online, and the best answer I can find is that it feels cold on the skin.

Cold cream was first developed by Galen, a 2nd century Greek physician, in his service as an attendant in a local temple to Asclepius, the Greek God of Medicine and Healing. One of Galen's primary roles was to tend to the Gladiators following "games." He developed a great many healing treatments, cold cream among them.

Galen's cold cream contained olive oil (for softening), water, beeswax (the base of the cream), and rose petals (for aromatherapy). It was called called "cold cream" because after it was applied to the skin, its water content evaporated, which left a cool feeling on the skin. Commercially manufactured cold creams have long since replaced the olive oil with mineral or other oils, which will not spoil as rapidly.

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
I just did a Boots Cold Cream search on Google to see if I can find it here in the US, and a listing for eBay came up. There is an old container for auction, ending in about 4 days. The seller says it looks as thought it is made from ironstone! Currently going for $9.99 USD. I don't think I am allowed to post links for current auctions, or else I would. If any of you check it out, do you have an idea of when this might date to?
I also went directly to the Boots Chemist website, and I can't find it on there either!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112