Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I believe that some people claim that mineral oil will clog the pores. I take this with a grain of salt because it has not done so in my personal experience. I found this article on "mythbusting" about "mineral oil:"

http://www.paulaschoice.com/learn/art.asp?ID=178

I think it is safe to say that if it makes you break out, then don't use it... ;-)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I'm not sure if this would go here or under vintageified beauty. The other day while channel surfing I stopped on TMC for a moment, couldn't get into the movie, right now all I could tell you about the name is that it had "kill" or "killing" in the tittle.

Any way, the female star was using a cold cream product at the end of the day. Swipe it on, rub it off with a cloth. Now we have video evidence that this is a vintage beauty routine. lol. Just sharring.[huh]

Shearer

Practically Family
Obviously, I can't state any opinion on the effects of mineral oil on the liver when it's absorbed by the skin... but...

I have really sensitive skin (Burt's Bees stuff actually makes my skin go haywire) and my skin has never looked better after I started using Pond's... and I had pretty good skin to begin with.

I follow up the Pond's with some Thayer's like others said, and I think my pores are thanking me for it :)

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
At least some of the arguments against mineral oil seems a little daft. The claim that it is "foreign to the human body", for instance: Of course it is! So is aloe vera, it is not a part of your skin.

It seems to me that the claims against of mineral oil is part of a bigger, popular idea that claims that natural=healthy. In other words, that natural ingredients does not cause allergies, are not harmful to the body etc.

That is not true. Not only are some of the worlds most powerful poisons natural and organic, a very large number of persons suffer from allergies towards all natural and organic things.

When it comes to cosmetics, there are no proof that "natural" and "organic" ingredients are less harmful, again, allergic reactions is common. And, that an ingredient is labeled "natural" does not mean it can not possibly do serious harm to the body. Not long ago, a serious study concluded that products containing tea tree oil and lavender oil may cause boys to develop breasts!

To conclude, the safest thing would be to not use any cosmetics at all. The realistic option is to use common sense, not use products that don`t work for you, don`t belive everything you are told and not belive that products are safe or harmful just because they are"natural" or "not natural."

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I read the links. I can see some merit in the arguements against using the mineral oil. However, as I have said before, Pond's has worked wonders for my skin.

If, as some people said in those links, the molecules are too large to get into the pores of my skin, then I find it hard to belive that I will be absorbing the oil into my body to do harm.

And if the oil sits on the top of my skin to act like celophane, then wouldn't the toner I use, which claims to remove residue left over from my cleanser, remove this celophane effect?

Everything is so complicated. It's hard to know what to do anymore. All I know is that my skin looks great. For the first time in years I wear my hair pulled back and show off my face. I still get blemishes, but nothing like I used to. So until the FDA issues a ban on mineral oil, I think I will continue to use it. Nothing else has made me look this good!

Ah, the price we pay for beauty. At least I am not injecting botchulism into my face ;)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GoldLeaf, it's good to see you back.
I too set aside all of my stuff containing mineral oil, then I realized it wasn't making me break out, so it's now in rotation again. This from the over-40 gal who gets breakouts galore from Clinique Dramatically Different Lotion! In chemistry class last year, when I was trying to get a Master's in nursing, I came to the conclusion that it's all chemicals. If mineral oil is BAD then why is mineral powder ok? Things like that. A rambling way to say don't believe everything you read and if it works for you then why not keep using it? I was skeptical when I read last year in The Powder Room to use just warm or hot water and a washcloth. Then I tried it and my skin is finally breakout-free. I trust the gals' opinions and experiences here more than the other websites, thanks, kids.

Shearer

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
GoldLeaf, it's good to see you back.
I too set aside all of my stuff containing mineral oil, then I realized it wasn't making me break out, so it's now in rotation again. This from the over-40 gal who gets breakouts galore from Clinique Dramatically Different Lotion! In chemistry class last year, when I was trying to get a Master's in nursing, I came to the conclusion that it's all chemicals. If mineral oil is BAD then why is mineral powder ok? Things like that. A rambling way to say don't believe everything you read and if it works for you then why not keep using it? I was skeptical when I read last year in The Powder Room to use just warm or hot water and a washcloth. Then I tried it and my skin is finally breakout-free. I trust the gals' opinions and experiences here more than the other websites, thanks, kids.

Ah, that Clinique lotion did the same thing for me :rolleyes:

I'm totally agreeing with you and GoldLeaf. It's like the study on chocolate and wine that comes out every week. "It's good for you, it's not good for you, it's good in moderation, it's good when it's dark chocolate and red wine ONLY..." :D

Then I tried Burt's Bees on a recommendation and all hell broke loose. THEN I had a friend selling this Arbonne stuff, so I tried that. It was okay, but really expensive for tiny bottles and my skin just looked the same after a huge regime every night with lotions, cleansers, toner, night moisturizers, etc.

When I got Pond's and looked at the ingredient list it was about 1/10th as long as the Arbonne stuff I was using. After a week, I chucked all the Arbonne in the trash. I don't even have to use moisturizing lotion anymore [huh]

Miss_Bella_Hell

Maybe I am more susceptible to negative thoughts about mineral oil because it makes me break out! I do love Burt's Bees though, and it's TOTALLY not made from babies.lol

olive bleu

One Too Many
don't want to turn this into a thread about Burt's Bees products, but...does anyone else have a problem with it going rancid? it doesn't seem to have a long shelf life.

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
Yes, I was majorly dismayed when my beloved Burt's Bees Almond Hand Creme went rancid after less than a year. I guess that is the downside of using more natural products (less preservatives?). I tried to keep using it but the smell was just too off. So sad!

Daisy Buchanan

So disappointed to hear this Pond's info:(

I've had a really bad eye infection/stye for about a week now. Actually, it started about a month ago, I had 2 styes on the upper eyelid of my right eye. I thought they went away, but at the beginning of last week they came back with a vengence. This is the worst eye infection I've ever had. It got so bad that my right eye was swollen shut. Not a pretty sight:( Anyway, I went to the opthomologist and she asked me all sorts of questions, including what I use to take my make-up off. I told her I've been using Pond's. She said that this isn't the greatest thing to use on ones eyes, but since it's been in use for such a long time a lot of people don't know about it's potential hazards. Anyway, it's got a very high mineral oil content, and this can actually clog your pores, especially it can clog the small hair follicles of your eye lids. She said I shouldn't use it anymore, especially on my eyes. She recommended eye make-up remover pads made by Almay or facial cleansing cloth's made by Dove. They are hypo-allergenic and oil free. I use the ones made by Dove. They do a great job removing my make-up and my skin feels very nice and soft since I started using them.

olive bleu

One Too Many
oh my, Daisy,you poor dear! That is terrible for you, and terrible for all us Pond's lovers!waht in the world are we all going to do?

BonnieJean

Practically Family
olive bleu said:
oh my, Daisy,you poor dear! That is terrible for you, and terrible for all us Pond's lovers!waht in the world are we all going to do?

Well, I'm going to stick with the Pond's for now. I've NEVER had my face look as well as it has the past two weeks since I've switched to the Pond's. I've had adult acne for a long, long time (the only 'youthful' thing left on me!) and finally my skin looks great! The other night it looked like I was going to get a couple of pimples on my cheek, but I went ahead and did my usual nighttime cleansing routine: put Pond's on face, let it soak in while I brush my teeth, remove Pond's with a warm washcloth, and follow-up with rosewater witch hazel. The next morning, there wasn't any sign of a breakout. I also have sun damage to my nose and it used to peel year round. I had given up and decided I would live with a peeling nose for the rest of my life, but the Pond's has even made a dramatic improvement in that--no more peeling nose!

It looks like there are two camps when it comes to using cold cream/mineral oil. Some "experts" state that its been given a bad rap, and others say it really is bad for you. For me, unless I really start having problems with my skin, I'm keeping the Pond's. I've tried many cleansing products, but I sure wish I'd tried this years ago!

Daisy Buchanan

Thanks ladies:) Luckily the infection is getting better. I could open my eye today, so that's a good sign. I'm hoping that by the weekend it will have completely cleared up.
I think Ponds is still OK to use on your face. The mineral oil in it can clog pores, but if it's not having a negative affect on you, then there's no reason to stop using it. I would just not recommend using it to remove your eye make-up. The pores/hair follicles on your eye lids are smaller and more sensitive than the pores on the rest of your face. Thus they are more susceptible to getting clogged. Of course, if you've never had eye problems before, and you've used Pond's without a problem, then you should be fine.
I was actually talking to my Mom about all of this. She used Pond's most of her adult life. For years she had constant eye problems. She was always getting some sort of eye infection or another. After years of different treatments the doctor recommended that she stop using Pond's. She reluctantly did so. She loved the stuff, it took off her make-up so well and made her skin nice, she really didn't want to stop using it. She's the one who introduced it to me. I've used it for years without problems. However, my Mom stopped using it and never had another eye infection. So, I'm assuming my recent numerous eye problems have to do with it.
I know it was mentioned in another thread, but the safest thing to use to remove your eye make-up is watered down Johnson & Johnson Baby shampoo. It's incredibly gentle and very safe.
So if you like Pond's and it works for you then there's really no reason to stop using it at this point in time. But be warned, both my Mom and I used it for many years with no negative affects. Then one day it started causing problems out of the blue. If you can find something a bit more gentle to use on your eyes, that might be a good idea. It's still ok to use the Pond's' on the rest of your face and neck. Oh, and Pond's also makes a disposable cleansing cloth, very similar to the Dove and Almay cloths. They are a dry cloth that get soapy when wet. I've used them in the past to remove make-up, and they worked very well. I think these might not have the mineral oil that the cold cream does. But they did make my face incredibly soft.

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I always had been told not to use any oily eye-make up remover (that is what I was told when I was in ten, when I had the stage makeup instruction class for dance). I always have used a separate oil-free eye make up remover pad (Almay, coincidentally) and now I am glad that I have! Wow, they really were right. I thought it was for different reasons though, they told us that it could fog up your vision if you had to do a makeup switch halfway through and that is why you should stay away from it. Who would've known!?

roots66

One of the Regulars
pretty faythe said:
I'm not sure if this would go here or under vintageified beauty. The other day while channel surfing I stopped on TMC for a moment, couldn't get into the movie, right now all I could tell you about the name is that it had "kill" or "killing" in the tittle.

Any way, the female star was using a cold cream product at the end of the day. Swipe it on, rub it off with a cloth. Now we have video evidence that this is a vintage beauty routine. lol. Just sharring.[huh]

Oh yeah, cold cream is a staple prop in many movies of a certain age (or depicting that certain age). Here are a few recent sightings I've had:

Kitty Foyle: When a gentleman caller visits Kitty, her roommates hide in the bathroom and one of them slathers CC all over. She emerges later looking mighty shiny.

Stella Dallas: Stella's greasy fingers mar a photo of Lolly's future stepmom: "Mother, look what you're done! You're getting cold cream all over her picture!"

Mrs. Henderson Presents: While Laura chats with her saucy best friend on the phone, the friend does the CC ritual.

Goodbye Again: When Yves Montand calls to cancel a date, Ingrid Bergman sits at her dressing table, stares pensively in the mirror, and starts schmearing. This happens twice in the movie, even after she manages to marry the jerk, so you know it's symbolic of somethin'.

In another flick whose title and lead actress escapes me, a gal starts crying hysterically in the midst of her CCing, and ends up frantically schmearing her mirror with the stuff.

Anybody have a fave cold cream scene?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo