Cold Cream- Brands and advice!

Discussion in 'Beauty' started by VanillaT, Aug 23, 2006.

1. fortworthgal

fortworthgal Call Me a Cab

Well I checked my local Target stores last night to no avail. :(

2. Retro_GI_Jane

Retro_GI_Jane One of the Regulars

I hit two on my way home from work last night. One didn't have anything but the lip salves and the bubble bath (which I did get one since I did like the bubble bath) and the other had two cold creams left. The associates didn't even bother to put updated stickers on them so I received a somewhat pleasant surprise (and bitter reminder of the discontinued possibility) to find I barely spent four dollars on each item. I'm gearing myself up for having to explore new brands of cold cream when my stash runs out but it really disappoints me about the tonic still, especially since it seems everyone has bought up what was left.

3. Wire9Vintage

Wire9Vintage A-List Customer

Drugstore.com seems to still have everything...for now. Any UK Loungers know if this is a line that Boots has done/is doing away with?

4. fortworthgal

My all-time favorite is actually Walgreen's store brand, in the white tub with green lid. It has a waxier consistency than Pond's, much more similar to the Boots texture. It is also similar to the Pond's older formula. I love it! I use my Boots cold cream sparingly, usually before bed. So, I can live without the cold cream. The day cream, night cream & tonic are what I'm going to miss most!

Thanks for the tip! I was about to order some Max Factor makeup from them so I'll be sure to check out their Boots selection.

5. Retro_GI_Jane

Wire9Vintage, I was just on the drugstore.com site and didn't see any of the Original Skin Care tonic during my search. Link please?

However they do sell Boots' Botanics rosewater toner and I'm wondering if it's anything like the original skin care line. If so, I'd be willing to buy that and just dump it in the fancy bottle from the other line.

Thanks for the recommendation, fortworthgal. I've been using my cold cream sparingly too now! ;)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. Wire9Vintage

Wire9Vintage A-List Customer

I just searched Boots cold cream and it was there. Hmmm...

7. ThemThereEyes

ThemThereEyes One of the Regulars

I went to Target earlier today and saw that all of the Boots Original products are gone. :( I'm near Houston.

8. katiesparkles

katiesparkles One of the Regulars

I went to two different Targets in RI today and stocked up on some of the BO stuff. Two days ago when I checked on Target.com it still gave you the locations and inventory but now it only says "sold online only". Everything was marked down more than before, I was able to get two of the rose cold creams for $2.38 each! The selection was rather poor otherwise, although I did snag a cuticle oil, bath oil and bath foam, a hand lotion and body balm.

I assume/hope they only pulled it from the shelves and still sell it online because it doesn't do too well in store, and not because boots is discontinuing the line :(

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  9. fortworthgal

That's what I plan on doing, fortunately I have at least 2 empty old-style bottles I can use. Guess I'll either just go back to my plain old witch hazel or maybe try the rose witch hazel that everyone raves about.

10. Retro_GI_Jane

I read the review for the Botanics rose toner on drugstore.com and there was one that posted it didn't have the same scent as the Original Beauty formula.

Is the rose witch hazel you mention Boots or a different brand?

11. fortworthgal

^ No, I think it is Thayers? Burt's Bees also has a rose toner that I've used in the past. They're both around $10-$12/bottle though.

12. alica

alica New in Town

I must recommend Eau Thermale Avene cold cream which is made up of water, essential fats and beeswax which is good cream for sensitive and dry skin.

13. fortworthgal

^ That sounds interesting! Where does one purchase it? Is it a cleansing cream, or a moisturizer?

14. fortworthgal

I've been doing this with my cold cream (using the Pond's, as it has a thinner consistency) at night, and I love it! The Olay brush heads are removable so it doesn't clog or anything, and it is easy to wash the brush head out with hot water & soap after use. I just put on my thin layer of cold cream, and then rinse the brush head with hot water, leave it wet, and use it all over my face, then remove the cold cream with a warm wash cloth. Love it!

15. fortworthgal

I always decant my cold cream into this jar.

[​IMG]

16. Lenore

Lenore Practically Family

That's adorable, fortworthgal. I'm looking for something cute to put my cold cream in myself... I'm actually looking to steal the extra bedroom for my "dressing room" but I think a "new" cold cream jar might be a good first step. :p

17. stephenjones

stephenjones New in Town

There are various kinds of Cold creams available in the market and various people like different brand of Cold creams. Some of good brand which I also using are Ponds and Garnier. It is necessary that you use such kind of cold creams only once a day as over use of such kind of creams may affect adversely to your skins.

18. zombi

zombi A-List Customer

Eeeee, I have a Salux and I loveeeeeee it so much. I don't use it much on my face because it's VERY harsh fibers and my skin's a bit sensitive, but it does work wonders everywhere you use it.

As for where I bought it, I got mine from the local Asian supermarket, which isn't very helpful online, haha. But I imagine you can find them pretty easily by googling.

19. Miss Sabrina Fairchild

Miss Sabrina Fairchild Familiar Face

I ended up buying one from that link Dixie_Amazon posted and I am in love. I can't believe how soft my skin is using it. I purchased it mainly so I could wash my back properly alone. I can't remember who mentioned it, but somewhere in this thread someone said they use the cold cream all over and use the salux to scrub it off. I have been doing this once a week for the last few weeks and I love it. I loathe wearing body lotion or cream - I hate the feeling on my skin. So I slather on my cold cream, jump in the shower and scrub myself all over and when I get out I am super soft and don't need to moisturise again. The only downside is I go through my cold cream a lot quicker this way.

20. bunnyb.gal

bunnyb.gal Practically Family

I've been using a BufPuf for the past umpteen years, which I'm not unhappy with, but keeping on with the Yoga classes is vital if you want to do your whole back with it. Is the Salux comparable in terms of abrasiveness?